The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Phone decision  (Read 996 times)

Offline Voidwalker

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Dalmatian/raven hybrid
Phone decision
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:43 AM »
Hey guys!

I need some help deciding on a phone. My current one is a galaxy nexus, and while it has served me well, the old gal's running a bit slow lately and I'm planning to get a new phone. Now, I was going to go with the nexus 5, since the nexus line of phones has always been one of my favorites. But after comparing it to a few phones, I'm beginning to reconsider... so I thought I'd ask for some help. I've narrowed it down to three phones, but do feel free to recommend any new ones.

The first is the Nexus 5 of course, followed by the LG G2 and finally, the Asus Padfone Infinity. Could I get some advice on which phone to get? I'm really looking for performance and battery life in the phone.

(P.S: I'm in Singapore, so some of the options may not be available to me)

Offline JollyGreenFox

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • I Am The Darkness That Embodies The Light
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Angelic Fennec Fox
  • Coloring: Green, White Undercarriage, White ears with Black Tips
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 185
  • Build: Slim with some muscle but none to show
  • Currently: Darkness covers all....only we the few shine bright
Re: Phone decision
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
If it was me i would go with the LG G2 i did some research and it can last a very long time 4.2 hours watching videos granted it was against the Galaxy S4, but it runs on 4.2.2 2 versions lower than the Nexus 5 but that shouldn't matter too much

Here take a look at this
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-G2,Google-Nexus-5,Asus-PadFone-Infinity/phones/7969,8148,7749

and then look at this

http://mashable.com/2013/11/16/lg-g2-review/
  • Avatar by: Drawn By Trixsie Vixen
Life has a way of making you humble
Day after day it's bringing you to your knees
all's okay, then everything crumbles
And all that you perceive is blowing away

He said I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are

In touch with the ground
I'm on the hunt I'm after you
Smell like I sound I'm lost in a crowd
and I'm hungry like the wolf
Straddle the line it's discord and rhyme
I howl and I whine I'm after you
my mouth is alive and running inside
and I'm hungry like the wolf

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »
Nexus 5:
The perfect option for the vanilla Android experience, just like your Galaxy Nexus used to be for the last 2 years.
You're free to root it and install custom ROMs and everything. The experience should be very similar to that of your Galaxy Nexus.
It should also be running very well due to that it has the most optimizations. Expect to get all the Android updates first. It's also the only Android device to date that ships with version 4.4 KitKat (and should be the first to get whatever the next version will be).

The price of it also makes it probably the best deal you'll get of any phone right now.

LG G2:
Hardware-wise it's a great phone, however LG is known to lag behind with the software. Unlike the Nexus 5, LG is in charge of making sure it stays up to date. The latest Android version 4.4 may find its way to the G2 in a few months.
It has some nice features not seen in the Nexus 5 (or other phones as well) but at the cost of taking a few months longer than certain devices to get certain system updates.

Padphone Infinity:
It has the padphone concept which is pretty cool, although it ships with Android 4.2 which is now over a year old. It's said to be getting updated at some point next year.

Galaxy S4:
To be honest, Samsung does make some great hardware on the inside (although the outside is just a cheap plastic feeling). That said, and I am fairly biased, their UI is horrible. It can be easily addressed by installing some 3rd party apps like Nova launcher but I usually prefer when things are easy and not too laggy and dumbed down out of the box.

As with almost all phones, it has some uinique features which, in my opinion, honestly is mostly just some niche stuff in order to stand out. It also comes fairly bloated with a lot of pre-installed apps you might not care about too much. It's not too big of a deal as they can be removed/disabled but, just another thing that might be quite annoying until' you get it all set up correctly.

HTC One:
Fastest updates of all non-nexus/google edition models it seems with the 4.4 update is just around the corner, set for release shortly after christmas or early January. The unlocked "Developer edition" model has already gotten the update.

The built-in speakers are the best of any phone on the market and build quality is similarly the best of any phone in this list, using a solid aluminum construction as compared to the plastic on all the other devices. It really 'feels' more premium in the hand compared to the other devices I've tried.

The camera ain't awesome but it does hold the crown for low light photography and is adequate for being a phone camera.

My personal pick would be the Nexus 5 or HTC One. I am bit biased though since I do myself own the HTC One. I have however converted it to the "Google Edition" version because I want the Nexus-experience.

If you can hold out a few months more, there should be new models early next year replacing both the Galaxy S4 and HTC One (thus dropping the price of these further if you don't need the latest).

I wouldn't say specs between any of these modern devices makes much of a difference.
Of course the higher-end Snapdragon 800 chip is indeed a bit faster and all that, but the Snapdragon 600 isn't too far behind. They are all very fast and smooth overall and regardless which you choose it'll surely be an improvement over the Galaxy Nexus (I had a Galaxy Nexus myself for 2 years until' this summer when I finally decided I needed an upgrade).
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline HyenaKing

• rock out with your cute out
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • shut up, you're a dream
    • Awards
  • Species: what u think
  • Coloring: whiteish
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Build: sheesh
  • Currently: writing.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:46:01 AM »
I recommend what i did:
Have flip-phone for phone needs, and then a tablet for everything else! I got a generic phone, though i recommend a Transformer Prime-Whatever the new model is. i think i have a 301, and i can browse you tube uncharged (with keyboard) for 10 hours! I bet the new one can do better! i have has it for 2 years, and, it has tough glass as anything else, even if they say "Strong glass" or something. The NVIDIA  in it helps with gaming, 4- cores help with other things, and the thing can support any kind of Internet. it works great for when i test my own alpha-phase apps on it. overall, the money you save you get with a "dumb" phone, you use to get a tablet.

I hope this helps...
-TFV

wired as right now

Offline Voidwalker

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Dalmatian/raven hybrid
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
Hey guys! Thanks a bunch for helping out with my decision ^^ It really helped out a lot.

I've come to the conclusion that if the Nexus 5 doesn't arrive in Singapore by the end of this month, I'll go with the LG G2. If you're wondering why I listed the Nexus 5 before it even came out here, it's because I heard that it was due to arrive either at the last week of November or the first week of December, but it's the end of the first week of December and I've still not seen it being carried by any of the service providers  :( . So, at the moment I've decided to wait for the Nexus 5 to come out, check the pricing and make the decision final. I've pretty much ruled out the padfone infinity here, thanks to Timmy's list of phones (Thanks for that BTW, it was REALLY helpful  ^_^ ) If the Nexus 5 is cheaper than the G2, I'll go with the Nexus, because other than the pricing, that's the only thing that the Nexus really has going for it in my opinion.

Thanks to JollyGreenFox for the review and comparisons, that helped me gain new insight on the phones

Thanks to TheFluorescentVulpes for the advice on getting a "dumb" phone to save up for a tablet/laptop hybrid (It's good advice, and I was thinking of getting a tablet/laptop hybrid, but I'm fairly sure there are cheaper alternatives here, plus the phone is more of my top priority X3 )