The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: help me get rid of babaylon search  (Read 1398 times)

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a cat that purrs/meows/licks/sniffs etc
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • my little ol youtube account
    • Awards
  • Species: maggcat
  • Coloring: black with a white chin and chest
  • Build: rather skinny but cute looking
  • Currently: doing college stuff college people do
help me get rid of babaylon search
« on: September 26, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
i accidentally got a virus days ago i deleted the software but now my search engine keeps defaulting to babylon search which seems to be a fake search engine ive deleted internet history three times and its hidden plugin has been removed but it still stalks me when i first go onto google chrome...does anyone know how to banish this abomination for good?
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: help me get rid of babaylon search
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
You could try um...

Use Add/Remove Programs in the control panel to make sure it's removed.. then follow these steps:

1. Open the start menu and type in "Regedit" in the search bar, open it up (you may get asked if you want to do this, press yes)
2. On the left panel Make sure the top of the list (Called "Computer") is selected (so that you are on the top of the list)
3. Press F3 and search for "Babylon"
4. When it finds something, simply press delete and delete it. *Note it may take some time for it to search
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until it tells you something like that it couldn't find it or that it finished the search, but it doesn't show any results.

Once that's done, open up chrome settings, change google back to default (and remove the babylon ****). Also uninstall any hidden plugins or extensions that might have been re-added. You can also go to type "about:plugins" and open that page to view all installed plugins (and remove/disable them).

To test.. simply reboot your computer and see if it fixes the issue, if not change back again the settings and plugins in chrome (no need to re-do the regedit part) and restart again to test if it works now. If it still doesn't work, I'm not sure why...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:28:14 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »
You could try um...

Use Add/Remove Programs in the control panel to make sure it's removed.. then follow these steps:

1. Open the start menu and type in "Regedit" in the search bar, open it up (you may get asked if you want to do this, press yes)
2. On the left panel Make sure the top of the list (Called "Computer") is selected (so that you are on the top of the list)
3. Press F3 and search for "Babylon"
4. When it finds something, simply press delete and delete it. *Note it may take some time for it to search
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until it tells you something like that it couldn't find it or that it finished the search, but it doesn't show any results.

Once that's done, open up chrome settings, change google back to default (and remove the babylon ****). Also uninstall any hidden plugins or extensions that might have been re-added. You can also go to type "about:plugins" and open that page to view all installed plugins (and remove/disable them).

To test.. simply reboot your computer and see if it fixes the issue, if not change back again the settings and plugins in chrome (no need to re-do the regedit part) and restart again to test if it works now. If it still doesn't work, I'm not sure why...
well... i did the regedit part and deleted all babylon data on my pc...but it seems to have survived...could you go into more detail about uninstalling hidden plugins?
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
As I wrote, to remove the plugins you simply go to "about:plugins" and remove any babylon-related ones.
Also you can try looking in "about:extensions"
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »
uh oh my pc is detecting trojan horses....what do i do?

Post Merge: September 30, 2012, 10:40:27 AM
also the virus that spawned babylon also keeps infecting steam evrey time i update it

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:40:27 AM by maggintons, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »
Try using a different virus scanner/remover. I'd recommend Trend Micro House Call.

If using that doesn't wipe the virus, and if you can't delete it manually, try using a Restore Point to go back to before you had the virus.

If *that* doesn't work, you may as well back up data you can, that isn't infected, wipe your drive and put a fresh copy of your OS on it.

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
i restored the system and its all good now

im so glad about this i may do a rant pic of my sona beating up babylon search B)

Post Merge: September 30, 2012, 03:45:56 PM
Bad news.. looks like it came back to haunt me...Steam is infected again and im gonna have to restore at an earlier time :/

and i cant back up steam either since i haven't been sent the new code they recently added ..
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:45:56 PM by maggintons, Reason: Merged DoublePost »