The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Backpacking..?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
Backpacking..?
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:16:45 AM »
Theres already a camping thread, but I'm talking about a good ol' bushwhack in the mountains. I suppose this encompasses fishing (which amazes me that there wasent already a topic for this) hunting, hiking and generally chillin' out in the woods with some buddies, or some family if your more into that.
(I mostly made this subject 'cuz it is much more than camping, and I can't stand those 'camp sites'- they irritate me to no end, its like living on a compound  :()
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • I'm not a bad man.....I just do things bad men do.
    • Awards
  • Species: Spider
  • Coloring: Black with red patterning
  • Height: 10 foot
  • Currently: silently watching
Re: Backpacking..?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:49:27 AM »
i thoroughly agree with you about the campsites, you go out there to be in nature, then you go to an artificial area in a pollution spurting car where you end up just spending your time next to the tent and making no use of your time. on a lighter note, i love going for walks in the bushland near my house. only problem is if i walk to far when i do get to go i could get shoot.......(there's a military base nearby.....) sorry if i started rambling on towards the end, i do that sometimes.
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline RedWolf "lucifer" Guevara

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • id laugh if u just... spontaiusly combusted
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / hyena hybrid
  • Coloring: Red / grey
  • Build: skinney but adgaile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
i love camping the ol`fashsioned way, im in the ACF so we camp all the time the only difference is we are all armed with semi/auto assult rifles but not me (as im the 8th guy in the squad) i carry an LSW :)
"i do not care if i fall so long as someone picks up my gun and keeps shooting" -Ernesto "che" Guevara

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
so camping with you is more dangerous than bushwalking is with me, only diff is you have the guns, while i can lead you to them.
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
yer its awsome!

sometimes we come under (simulated) attack with blank fire and smoke grenades :o :D
"i do not care if i fall so long as someone picks up my gun and keeps shooting" -Ernesto "che" Guevara

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »
that sounds so cool, but I'm cool here, i have an early warning system for war here, and as for simulated attack, i get the sounds of the army training in the background. it sounds cool when they get an old car and practice planting explosives.

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »
cool

heres me with my LSW w. night scope

and yes i have forgotton to take the lens cap off

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
funny, i would love to have a gun licence so i can get a scoped kar98. i don't know why but i like that gun. and a pilots licence would be nice.....wait why am i so far off topic?.......WWII planes are cool.....so is it true that people think we have drop bears?

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »
whats drop bears?

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 02:31:20 AM »
the American translation of koala....i was just wondering if you had heard of them. apparently koalas are dangerous......i think whoever started that rummer was higher than the koalas they were watching.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »
Well...there was this one time I went camping with my uncle. Like hardcore LOST camping where you have no idea where you are and you're forced to stay the night in unmapped forests. All we had was a hunter's tent, a 20 gauge shotgun, a .357 Smith and Wesson, and a box of matches and about 2 days worth of food. So I don't want to get into the boring stuff but anyway:

It was the middle of the night and we heard the WEIRDEST noises coming from outside. I'm hugging my pillow (which was really a balled up towel) like my life depended on it and my uncle sat up and listened. I was freaking out because whatever was outside was going through all our stuff (and making a mess from what I could hear). He pulled out the magnum and looked at me to be quiet as he began to unzip the tent. He stepped outside after about 8 of the longest seconds of my life all I heard was "...HOLY SH***!!!!!" Followed by 4 gunshots and he was yelling at me to come outside with the shotgun because whatever it was he wasn't sure that he'd hit it or not.

Turns out it was this massive ass bear. My uncle blew it's brains out with 2 shots to the head. I didn't sleep at all that night because he ended up making me help him look for it in the middle of the night.

We found our way home eventually but I am NEVER camping again.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:18:02 PM by Spike V. »

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
"come over to Australia, theres no dangerous bears here. just the top ten most venomous snakes and the deadliest spiders. XD that's right camping out here is completely safe. XD

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »
Bears are dangerous, but there are precautions to keep them away. Low - volt electric fences work well, they wont go near 'em.
What I have to worry about is boars. One of them finds your camp then theres nothing to keep them out. And not much to keep them from goring you, either. Besides death.
Arrows and .308's work well.
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!