The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: fursuit feet... please help!  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
  • Height: 6' 00"
  • Weight: 185
  • Reference: [link]
fursuit feet... please help!
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:35:45 AM »
Alright, so my cosplay/fursuit is coming along nicely, but I can't make heads or tails of these feeties.

I got the foam feet from Dream Vision Creations, and they're adhered beautifully onto some shoes for long term wearing. However, I have NO idea how to even begin furring them. I have a simple fabric (since I need more of a flat surface, rather than a taller true fur).

Now, at first I attempted to tape a pattern out as I did for the head, but unlike the headpieces, the tape will not stick to the foot-paw foam. It's the weirdest and most annoying thing ever. I then tried cutting a swath of the fabric out to try a technique I saw a mascot suit tutorial do (putting adhesive on the toes, and then stretching the fabric over the adhered toes), but that doesn't work either. Also, for the record, I did not use adhesive on that last one. I just laid the fabric out in a 'dry' test layout.

I need this costume by July 1, so I'm running out of time to build, and I have absoultely no clue what I can do to get the fabric measured properly.

My only other thoughts was some kind of industrial strength build tape or something, but I don't want to damage the foam.  :S

So... yeah. Please, please, PLEASE offer me any help you might be able to provide!
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: Recuperating
Re: fursuit feet... please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:59:03 AM »
Yeep I had problems with my feet with those too XD I dabbed a bit of elmers school glue in between the toes, and used long pieces of tape to wrap around. I ended up just doing that, using the pattern from the tape and gluing the fur down, from the mid point outwards. I had a bit left over on the edges that I just cut. But it worked out pretty well using a thin line of glue for the dips and curves, and making the tape stick to itself wherever possible. I used one hand to hold down he tape and stuck a piece on top to make the toes a bit more defined, so I ended up with around 3 layers of tape over le feet. I can upload a pic of the feets after I taped them, if you want to see how rough mine patterned out!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:02:10 AM by Nori »

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:40:47 AM »
Oh! Yes, please. That would be very helpful! I got so hopeful, because the tape didn't work at first, then it kinda did, and then earlier when I tried it, it just wouldn't stick again.  @.@

I suppose I'll just be persistent!

Yeep I had problems with my feet with those too XD I dabbed a bit of elmers school glue in between the toes, and used long pieces of tape to wrap around. I ended up just doing that, using the pattern from the tape and gluing the fur down, from the mid point outwards. I had a bit left over on the edges that I just cut. But it worked out pretty well using a thin line of glue for the dips and curves, and making the tape stick to itself wherever possible. I used one hand to hold down he tape and stuck a piece on top to make the toes a bit more defined, so I ended up with around 3 layers of tape over le feet. I can upload a pic of the feets after I taped them, if you want to see how rough mine patterned out!
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »
You'll get dere!!!!! :D
I think it took me about 3 hours to tape up one foot :P I marked where the foam started so I knew tobring it in a bit more XD
Top view

Side view

Underneath :)

After I tried starting with the toes and ripped that tape up, I started from the shoe and worked my way forward, wrapping a long strip around all the way, then when I got to the toes, I criss-crossed between the toes with thinner strips, making sure they reached the tape that I already layed out. Then I used bigger pieces to make it stay in place. It did loose a lot of definition, but when the fur is glued down, you barely notice :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:55:25 AM by Nori »

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 09:57:54 PM »
Oooooooohhhhhhhh.

Okay, that adds a whole new perspective. I'm definitely going to need new tape too, then. This stuff worked very well on the head, but is definitely not going to be helpful on the feet.

I was also considering a search for a stretchier fabric to assist in spreading to cover gaps and make gripping the foam easier for it. Most of the foot is covered by robes for this, and I was planning on doing what you did (having foot-fur go further to add to it) so that's another helpful thing with your photos. I can see what you were saying about the toes, too.

I have a feeling this is still going to be quite the battle for just a few toesies!  x_x

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Yeah, i think in one of their videos they mentioned their foam parts are molded like a liquid, then it cools and turns into a kind of foam, less porous than regular foam. That's why their foam heads aren't hollow at all. That could be a reason why it doesn't stick super well.
After doing the feet and then making my foam head, I was expecting trouble with the tape sticking again, but it was the opposite XD

Spandex or swimsuit backing could work for that, I haven't tried that myself, but I'm sure if you get big enough strips of tape, it'd at least stick to the fabric... meebee.  ^_^

Good luck and I hope you get it eventually!! Bu like I said, as long as you have the general shape, gluing down the toes outward with the fur, and just cutting off the excess and cutting darts should look okay, since fur can hide seams pretty well!