The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What do you perfer? More open world games or games with one storyline?  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
What do you guys prefer? Games with an open world aspect with multiple endings and a massive amount of choices. Or games with no choice and one simple storyline? Or games with decisions, but still a single focused story. (Kind of like Undertale.)
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline Silaluk

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • w ▲ n d e r e r
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf (not pure blooded)
  • Coloring: Dark gray and light gray.
  • Height: 2'4"
  • Weight: 114 lbs.
  • Build: Slender but very fluffy. Feral.
  • Currently: Sad.
I like games that have a storyline, but aren't necessarily linear, or have a very large overworld.

Kind of like LoZ: Twilight Princess or Skyrim. They are games with a lot of content but they have a story.

Quote from: Sandor on March 05, 2016, 07:15:04 AM
Quote from: Sandor on March 04, 2016, 10:21:04 AM
Silaluk is too brutal for 90% of this forum.

Actually, make that something like 96%.

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
  • Species: Red fox
  • Coloring: Red and white, normal red fox coloring
  • Height: 5'8" Anthro / 1'4" Feral
  • Weight: 150lbs Anthro / 20lbs Feral
  • Build: Average, fluffy
  • Currently: *Happy fox*
I prefer open world with extensive story, but preferably with no hard ending. Skyrim is the best example. Do what you want, lots of in depth quests if you like them, even more simple ones.
Everyone seems to have it, so here's mine

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
If I had to choose between amazing story or amazing open world I'd go amazing open world, for me the games story is greatly important, but gameplay is most important and having a great open world rather than a very claustrophobic linear corridor, I'd go openworld any day.

Though why not have both? Witcher 3 is a prime example of a game with an incredible emotionally driven story as well as containing an expansive and fantastic open world.

ALSO:

One extremely important thing for me in an open world is the idea that I am a person in it who can make a real effect in the world. In Fallout 3, for example, my actions had the power to create new communities, or destroy them, each impacting the entire wasteland in its own way. Skyrim I felt didn't have that same effect. While it had lots of content, even when I "finished" the war, or married someone, it didn't seem like much changed. It all felt disjointed and cause of that it dimmed my experience of it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:24:10 AM by anoni »
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
I won't ever grow tired of saying this: Skyrim is a joke. It has a straightforwards, shallow story. Sure, the world is expansive and looks awesome, still I liked Morrowinf much better. It felt more alive and immersive.

Agreed with you on Morrowind being better than Skyrim. I actually thought Skyrim was pretty good, but as a whole Bethesda games seem to be more like elaborate tech demos for their engines, as good as those tech demos might be. I could even levy that complaint against Morrowind, to a degree. I will say though, going to Solstheim in Skyrim gave me the feels and a huge rush of nostalgia. It just shows how great Morrowind was, at least for me.

Back on topic, I absolutely love open world games, but I think they are very difficult to do right. Grand Theft Auto is obviously a good example since there is a lot for you to do in the world beyond the story, and at the same time it is fun to just purposelessly drive around causing mayhem for mayhem's sake. Dwarf Fortress is also really good, though it is still in alpha and probably will be forever. Still, the adventure mode in that game is pretty nuts and no two worlds you generate are the same, so there is always somewhere new to explore, even if there isn't all that much interesting in the world yet beyond the basics.

I feel like open world games are really only starting to come into their own. I love StarMade and I can see it getting truly awesome in the future as they release more updates. To me, the best open world games are ones where you can really leave a mark, whether that means depopulating entire human cities as an adventurer in Dwarf Fortress or annihilating planets in StarMade. The best stories in gaming are the ones we make ourselves, and games are only just starting to get really good at letting us do that.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
I enjoy games with a story, though with an open world environment. I don't want a story to end, but I also like how most story-based games give you the chance to change something about the world... but you can also just grow a garden and do that sort of thing.

Offline VoodooMax

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange and White
  • Height: 5 Feet 11 Inches
  • Weight: 130 pounds
  • Build: Slender
I love story driven video game and would prefer that over open world games, although open world games are fun too.

Offline CrazyCat

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Domestic Cat
  • Coloring: gray fur with white belly, chest, and paws.Tip of the tail is also white. Has green eyes.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 65kg
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: A Nervous Wreck
Either/Or.
As long as it's backed by some solid gameplay :3
There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's
There's no right way to eat a Rhesus

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
I love story driven. I mean that's probably a given with me, but the new "story driven" games all seem half assed. Like a bunch of people sitting around. "Hey! What if, throwing this out there. What if there's a bad guy, and ... A good guy finds two other good guys, and they think Hey, we should stop him. We can just throw in random one liners, not really develop the story, then just kind of throw in two scenes where they find and stop the bad guy?" "Good! Cut, print, develop it. Next game!" "I'm gonna go with what he said." "Brilliant!!"

Lately the open world games are just done better. I mean if there's going to be zero effort with the story, then just don't bother and let me do random things.
  • Signature art by: Lucky978 on Deviantart.com
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
I love story driven. I mean that's probably a given with me, but the new "story driven" games all seem half assed. Like a bunch of people sitting around. "Hey! What if, throwing this out there. What if there's a bad guy, and ... A good guy finds two other good guys, and they think Hey, we should stop him. We can just throw in random one liners, not really develop the story, then just kind of throw in two scenes where they find and stop the bad guy?" "Good! Cut, print, develop it. Next game!" "I'm gonna go with what he said." "Brilliant!!"

You forgot the most important question they ask themselves as they sit around. "How many sequels can we sell?"
---------------

Offline Rattatat

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: shimmering dark purple, pebble like scales everywhere except for the neon blue, glowing, scales on the back side of hands arms feet and legs.
  • Height: 6'#039#039#0395
  • Weight: 260 lbs
  • Build: lanky, toned, and angular
  • Currently: Curious
Re: What do you perfer? More open world games or games with one storyline?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »
I really want to see an open world RTS game. Now that, that would be amazing.

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
Re: What do you perfer? More open world games or games with one storyline?
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 05:29:13 PM »
That's like, 90% of what people at Ubisoft do all the time.

Along with most other big studios...
---------------