The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Need help installing Windows on new PC  (Read 1132 times)

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
Need help installing Windows on new PC
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:40:39 PM »
Alright, so as several of you already know, I recently decided to go ahead and build my own PC. I did that, and it was awesome! Everything works properly and I put it together without a major problem. But now, I'm having a HUGE problem getting Windows installed on it. I got a free code for Windows 8 Pro from a friend, but I had to download all the stuff he sent me through email first. I finally got that sorted out, I have all the files on a separate PC, and I'm able to install it there no problem if I wanted to. However, I need to burn it to a disc so I can boot my PC from there of course. The problem is, I don't have a clue where to go from there to make it work. I tried booting my PC from the disc when it had the entire .iso file on it, when it had all of the things contained within the .iso file on it separated from the .iso, and when it just had the .exe installer. Every time my PC doesn't recognize it.

So what am I doing wrong? What files do I need to burn to the CD to make it work in the first place? Did my friend just not give me what I need? I already went into the BIOS and set my PC's boot priority to boot from the optical drive to my hard drive, so that shouldn't be the problem. Did I maybe get a faulty optical drive? But that doesn't make sense because the motherboard says it's receiving the SATA data from the drive. Argh this is frustrating. Any help someone can give would be amazing.

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: Need help installing Windows on new PC
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »
You don't want to just extract the .iso and copy the files onto a disc. This will not set the required properties in order to make it properly bootable.

From Windows xp or 7, just use Imgburn to burn the ISO-file to a disc. Windows 8 has its own ISO burner utility, just right-click the ISO file and select "burn to disc".

If you have an empty 4GB+ USB drive lying around or an external harddrive, you can make it into a bootable drive with the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool which I'd recommend as it'll install faster. Even if it's meant for Windows 7 it works flawlessly for Windows 8 as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:37:31 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:24:08 AM »
It worked!!  :D  Thank you so much Timmy, you're the only person out of 7 I've asked who helped at all, I swear you've given me so much advice and info on putting this thing together if there's ever anything I can do for you just let me know  XD 

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:21:57 AM »
You're welcome ^^

Um.. you could the $3000 fee for getting fiber to my house? :D (No, I'm not serious)
Proud to be a furry!