The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What if furries REALLY existed?  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Rocoro T. Pup

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
What if furries REALLY existed?
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:12:20 AM »
I'm not looking for a simple "That would be awesome!!" post. I would like some constructive thoughts, if that would be okay.
If furries ACTUALLY existed here on Earth, and had been since the dawn of time, what race would be considered the superior one, and where? Would social and political issues get in the way? Would they mix in with humans like a mosaic or like a melting pot? Would ethnic and racial rioting have occurred, and vice versa? Would furries take on more liberal or libertarian political views? Would there be a nation or place that would have the most fur populace, and why?

Share your thoughts

Offline Rhoryc

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Re: What if furries REALLY existed?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:27:00 AM »
Hmm... I honestly think furries would be treated much like the Native Americans were. Probably even worse. People would originally see them as savage beasts mostly due to their appearance. They would attempt to take what they have by force and generally treat them like dirt. They wouldn't have equal rights and it would only be until much later that people began to sympathize with and accept them.

Kind of depressing, but yeah. Humans haven't been all that nice to each other so I don't see why furries would be treated any better.

Offline Rocoro T. Pup

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:39:08 AM »
That's pretty shocking, but probably very logical. Do you think furries would have been treated a little bit less hostilely once humans notice the connection between them and they're own non-furry livestock and animals? Where would man first *discover* furries? Would we make contact in the "New World?" or would a furry civilization have already existed during this time like the Chinese/Mongol empire or the Muslim Turks empire, probably with their own technologies, medicines, and literature?

Offline Rhoryc

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:53:32 AM »
Tough to say, there are a lot of variables which have to be taken into account in order to predict how humanity might react. If they were a fully advanced civilization then we might treat them with a little more respect, but then again we might just see them as competition.
As for the similarities between livestock and furries I don't think it would matter much. Though it could depend on the animal I suppose. One might find an anthropomorphic rabbit to be less intimidating than an anthropomorphic wolf.

Offline Rocoro T. Pup

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:11:08 AM »
Brilliant thesis. I tip my hat off. Humans may be shocked to discover the harmonious nature between anthropomorphic cats and dogs, metaphorically. If they practiced their own religions, like Muslims with Islam, and the Japanese with Buddhism, the early Western empires may wage a Crusade against furs (like the Jews of the Holy Lands in Israel).

Nice Rhoryc! These are the posts I wanted to get!

Offline Rhoryc

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:15:23 AM »
Thank you! It's an interesting topic :)

Another thing to think about is how different types of furries will interact with each other. Will they be able to live in harmony or will they war amongst themselves just as human beings do? Would there be any sort of animosity between species that have (in nature) a predator-prey relationship? Will an anthropomorphic lion believe and/or behave as if they are superior to an anthropomorphic zebra? Or will they be able to put aside that aspect of nature to benefit the furry people as a whole?

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Close your eyes and see the skies are falling.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Dark blue scales
  • Height: 2,36 M.
  • Weight: 110 Kg.
  • Build: Moderately tough
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Getting my ass in gear to do...something.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
I am certain you would see, though on a small scale, much like bullying, that certain types of furs would be considered better or worse than others. Simply put, a wolf fur would be a bit higher up than say..a duck :P

The reception of furs would depend VERY much on how they came to be, and where they are discovered. Without those factors, there's not really anything to predict. For example, if they were science test subjects, they would be treated like they were 'saved' from that, at least initially. If they always existed in un-populated areas, they might be considered as beasts or something wild, thus worsening relations. Really depends on the 2 factors :P
  • Signature art by: Me :D
You can be anything you want to be.
But can you be everything you want to be?

Click this shiet for my Deviantart!

Offline Rocoro T. Pup

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:05:18 AM »
Interesting theory, Feral. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Rocoro T. Pup

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 06:21:00 AM »
Gonna bump this. Still fascinated with what people think.

Offline Fox_720B

• Avid Aardvark
  • Ate too many blueberrries
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Blue Fox
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
I agree that the origins of the anthro race would have a large influence on how modern-day humans would accept them. If anthros preceded humans, it is possible that anthros would be seen as the superior race. If anthros came after the evolution of humans, or if anthros existed in isolation until "discovered" by the human race, then they would likely be seen by humans as inferior.

As for racism and cultural tensions, the whole of human history is fraught with violence and judgement against those whom are deemed different, and that's just within our own species. Of course, humans are also capable of great compassion and great deeds. So the human race itself is divided between acceptance and segregation...and even when it comes to human views on feral animals, people run the gamut from "who cares about an animal life, let's skin it!" to people who spend their entire lives attempting to protect animals from physical and environmental harm.

So that being said, I think it's extremely likely that anthros would be subjected to human discrimination if humans considered themselves the dominant race.

On the flipside, we have to ask ourselves just how "human" our anthros are. Are they susceptible to the same feelings of racism or speciesism? Do they feel emotions the same way humans do? Do we consider all anthros to be more emotionally stable and benevolent than the human race as a whole...as in an enlightened race, perhaps?

Or are they just as flawed as we are? Could it be possible that anthros themselves would have as much infighting as humans do? I think the "human" aspect of our anthros makes them very much like us, just with different physical features than humans. And just as humans are capable of coexistence or war, so too I believe anthros would be.

Which means of course that human-anthro interaction would likely run the gamut from intermarriage to full out war, depending on what conditions are existing in the world. There would be oppression of anthros by humans, but perhaps anthros could also oppress humans. That's the unfortunate aspect of being, at least partially, human. Of course, the human side also brings with it incredible capacity for logic, reason, and emotion. So it's all highly subjective to environmental factors, if you ask me. :)

On the other hand, we also have to measure just how "feral" our anthros are. Do they follow a pack structure or tribal structure? Do they respond to danger or agression in animalistic or in human ways? How would laws governing human aggression be adapted for an anthro race? Would the animal side of them make them more or less likely to behave aggressively?

Personally, I have a difficult time when I come across imagery of anthro fascists, for example. It's difficult and uncomfortable to consider that our beloved anthros could be capable of the same evil that humans have been capable of in the past. Personally, I'd like to believe that they'd be a bit more in tune with nature and a bit more evolved emotionally and mentally, so as to be good stewards of our planet and of each other. But that's an idealistic view. The reality is that anthros would be just as diverse as people, and likely prone to similar social conflicts as any other race of human that was deemed "different" in the past.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:28:48 PM by Fox_720B »
The Aviation Fur

FDAF - Aviation Commander (Tactical)
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

My fursonas: Experiment 720 - "Sky" | B.F.

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
That would be awesome!!

We'd all be (willing?) slaves to Dragons.  >:3

Offline Sparky15756

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • A Wolf Amongst 'Roos
    • Fur Affinity
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf and Lucario, no hybrid
  • Coloring: Wolf: Red 'n' Pink - Lucario: Red 'n' White (instead of Blue & Black)
  • Height: 5'' 7
  • Weight: 116lbs
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Pondering the future demise
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
I'd probably just enjoy the fandom more than I do now, sure I'd want to spend as much time with them as possible but I'd also spend time with my non-furry friends too and if it was possible to become a furry then that wouldn't be a bad thing because I wouldn't have to buy a fursuit xD
With 955 characters for a signature, I can try make something funny or interesting but no, I'm just gonna sit here and type instead of going to work because breaking the fourth wall is more humour than trying to figure out how I'll get access to my other laptop; picking up my charger that I left at a friends house, around 40 miles away...

Good going Sparky, you did well. On the plus side, it's given you a chance to accidentally revisit some old stomping grounds and see what madness you can create during this seemingly temporarily return.

Offline Rocoro T. Pup

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »
Fox 720, THIS is the post that I have been waiting for! Excellent analogy. I found it hard to disagree with you, especially on the notion that it would be difficult to imagine anthros of being able to commit the same amount of genocides or crimes against nature as would man.

Thanks for posting! Seriously.