Author Topic: favorite video game SERIES!!!  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Vamp

• Off-The-Wall Guy
  • Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • It's meh!
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Black feathers, green eyes
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: Slim
  • Reference: [link]
favorite video game SERIES!!!
« on: June 20, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
not just game but game series and favorite game of that series. Mine is the Metal Gear Solid Series and my favorite so far is number 3 because it gives Snake some more backstory... :)

(is backstory even a word?) ???

Pet's name: Sion
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
"I used to be a freak, now I'm a freak with a camera."

"If I had a dime for every time I made sense, I'd be broke"

My Steam  : Vamp Altum

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
Re: favorite video game SERIES!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »
Now this one is such a hard one to come up with. I've played so many games and games series over the years it seems like an impossible task to try and pick any just one.  Hmmm

But I'll humor you.

I'm going to go with Contra, and I mean real contra none of that 3-D bull but the good side scrolling goodness. I loved all the contras, 1 2 3 and the new 4 on the DS. But of all of them I'm going to say that Super C brings the fondest memories as I was quite young when the game came out. (most of you weren't even born yet) Playing with a childhood friend I specifically remember beating it with dying, a great achievement that I still cherish to this day. Not so much that I did it but I was so proud to tell my friend what I had done. Good memories

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »
so many good series out there...

i'm gonna leave the obvious answers such as Zelda and Mario out of this.
I think that, all in all, it depends on my mood.. if i had to come up with ONE series right now at the spot, i'd probably pick Devil May Cry though. i'm a sucker for stylish action i guess.

Offline Lumi

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Lumi <-- Kazu <-- Grimsy
    • Awards
  • Species: Weird Glowing Stoat
  • Coloring: See picture above
  • Height: not too tall
  • Weight: not much
  • Build: agile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09:22 PM »
I really like the Disgaea games they are just plain awesome too bad that newest version is on ps3  +++2(the most overpriced console in existence)

Offline Sparky15756

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • A Wolf Amongst 'Roos
    • Fur Affinity
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf and Lucario, no hybrid
  • Coloring: Wolf: Red 'n' Pink - Lucario: Red 'n' White (instead of Blue & Black)
  • Height: 5'' 7
  • Weight: 116lbs
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Pondering the future demise
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
Oooh, I've got a few

Player Manager
Premier Manager
Crash Bandicoot

But, if I had to chose

Crash Bandicoot
With 955 characters for a signature, I can try make something funny or interesting but no, I'm just gonna sit here and type instead of going to work because breaking the fourth wall is more humour than trying to figure out how I'll get access to my other laptop; picking up my charger that I left at a friends house, around 40 miles away...

Good going Sparky, you did well. On the plus side, it's given you a chance to accidentally revisit some old stomping grounds and see what madness you can create during this seemingly temporarily return.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
Definitely Zelda. Favourites of that being either Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask.

Other than that though, probably Soul Calibur. I like SCIII, out of the ones I've played.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 11:43:32 PM »
Definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, my favourite series has to be Half Life... well really the universe of games since that would also incorporate Portal which is a perfect gem of a game.

Honestly, it's fantastic, setting benchmark after benchmark of storytelling, immersion and emotion in action games. I mean there have been problems with them in the past, such as off pacing in the first third of HL2, and the fact that HL1 has set the bar for FPS' so now every average FPS has to come up to that standard, making HL1 average by modern standards. Also there's the time thing where it takes ages for a new game to come out, but that's good! they spend a long time making great strides and polishing to an absurd degree. They tried doing it quick with HL2:EP1 and it turned out to be a disappointment, so longer is better.

Also one strange problem I've found is that they're too good at making it feel real. It may not be the prettiest series out there but the detailed history and ecology of the creatures pours through everything. All creatures have an ecosystem and are clearly based on real creatures and real habitats, so it makes it hard for me to kill these things... but only when these ecosystems are explained and revealed. It's very much an explorative way of explaining a creature.

Take Antlions for example. At first, they are Starship Trooper aliens mixed with some kind of ant, that pops out of the ground and tries to gnaw your bits off. eventually you find that they take commands from the soldier antlions (the AI doesnt actually do this, but you can manipulate this aspect of their design with a gland harvested from a soldier antlion.) That's about as far as it goes in HL2, but in HL2:Ep2, they reveal that they have detailed burrows with worker antlions who stay underground and spit acid to make these tunnels, and there are tiny tunnels for antlion larvae, who just sit there calmly purring away, cosy in their little lives. And the feel of being in the environment immediately gave me the impression that I was in a nature documentary. The sound, the tones, the lights, the ideas it all felt so natural.

And then they expect me to stamp on the larvae cus they have glowing health nuggets inside. They scream when you get too close, they cant run away, they're stuck to the walls and floor. It was really a horrid experience. I didnt want to do it, I didnt want to hurt these creatures because they felt so real, they had lives. This has happened a few times in Half Life games. It gets amplified in GMod where you can mess about with the NPCs and items and ragdolls and stuff like that. Ever seen a hunter chase a hundred headcrabs of varying species? It's adorable, it's like a little puppy chasing mice. They gave them too much reality, too much personality. It's uncomfortable but it's an amazing achievement.

I would never get that experience from a realism powerhouse like Crysis, because the Half Life world and Valve in general are just a step ahead of the game...

except with Left4Dead2 >:|
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:56:15 PM »
Half Life was awesome, up there with mario and zelda if you ask me.

i love how even the zombies play on your emotions. (screaming "why won't you love me?")

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 12:06:38 AM »
Half Life was awesome, up there with mario and zelda if you ask me.

i love how even the zombies play on your emotions. (screaming "why won't you love me?")
Actually, it only sounds like they're saying that, just like it sounds like they're saying "Yabba my icing!"
If you reverse the voice, it's far far more disturbing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKEWSJBwD08

I think this works out better.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 12:11:31 AM »
The Dark Forces saga has always been one of my all time favorite, and Kyle Katarn is worthily noted as one of my Top Ten Video Game Protagonists.

Offline Something

• TFF's personal Victim
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • Insert here
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »
silent hill, dead or alive and tomb raider.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:31:36 AM »
Call of Duty is by far my favorite...next to Grand Theft Auto.

Offline Jad'Thor

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Jaddius F.X. Thor
    • Awards
  • Species: Tri-tailed Folf
  • Coloring: Blue, light blue,Black
  • Height: 1.88m
  • Weight: 67Kg
  • Build: athletic
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 06:25:11 AM »
the final fantasy games, not sure if that reaaaallly counts as a series though
dont click my pet!!!!

i was here FIRSTer...ish!,and will throw cookies at your face at will :3

i dunno how i got him....but i do, and ill always be grateful for him...

Offline Gabag

• Replica Soldier Mk. VII
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Human (Replica Clone)
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 06:28:46 AM »
my favorite series would have to be (surprise surprise) Halo or the Age of Empires series
my fav halo game was Halo 2, it got me into xbox live, it was enjoyable, and when someone annoyed you it was satisfying to kill them
Age of Empires 2 was a fun game because it was a really well made RTS game, although there were some faction balance issues, it had great replay value and possessing enemy units with monks was so addicting

Offline Grey_Wulf

• Boisterous Bear
  • I feel stupid AND CONTAGIOUS!
    • Awards
  • Species: Vampiric Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Grey
  • Height: 5 ft 11
  • Weight: about 140 pounds
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »
Warlords attlecry series, had some epic wars with that.
"I know an ash-tree stands called yggdrasil
a high tree, soaked with shing loam;
from there come the dews which fall in the valley,
ever green, it stands over the well of fate."
The Poetic Edda - Seeress's prophecy 19.1