The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New To Furries help me! Questions!  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Sapphire_ruby

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
New To Furries help me! Questions!
« on: September 11, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »
So I’m kinda new & I had a few questions. I see a lot of fursonas with tails. What’s with the tail? Do I have to have one?

I also see the word cum in some places. Is that a furry term for something? I googled it but got inappropriate images.

And is there anything else I should know when joining the furry community? Please help & thank you for any answers!

Post Merge: September 11, 2018, 03:44:41 PM
Another question. Can my fursona talk?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 03:44:41 PM by Sapphire_ruby, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline MaverickTheFur

• Avid Aardvark
  • Female sona, male irl
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Zangoose
  • Coloring: Light grey, cyan and crimson with a light greenish blue shine over whole body.
  • Height: 4'3"
  • Weight: 91lbs
  • Build: Chubby Pear
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: existing
Re: New To Furries help me! Questions!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
No, you do not necessarily have to have a tail.

No, it is not a furry term. It can mean dual or can be an alternate spelling of "come" as well.

Not much to know really, just don't be a jerk and don't steal art.

Yes, unless you choose for your fursona not to be able to talk. Your fursona is an anthropomorphic character you create to reflect yourself most of the time, your fursona doesn't necessarily have to reflect yourself.

"Bisexuals = fabulous"
             - Winged Zephyr, 2018
Sonas and Characters: https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=38784

Pet's name: Belyn
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
Welcome to the fandom!

The tail isn't important at all honestly. People just like them though usually. As a rabbit I don't have much of a tail ;×;. But lots of people like having them just because they think it would be fun to have. But of course if you don't want one. Feel free to not have  one lol.
Uhhh... yeah no clue if that's a term for something specifically in the famdom^^;
Anything important to know? Hmm... be open minded. There's a lot of 'different' ideas out here in the fandom. It's good to try to be open minded and try to welcome things with open arms otherwise you might end up with heated fights.[But of course it's okay not agree with every idea. Just try not to press your opinion/idea onto other people too hard.]  So in short. Respect everyone and they'll respect you.  Like Maverick said. Don't steal art. If you're going to show someone else's art at least credit them. 
One other thing is that in the fandom there's a lot of people part of the lgbtq community. Meaning lots of people want to be referred  with different pronouns. [Like they, or if they're a trans male tl female they want to be referred to as a she and vice versa.] So if you're going to refer to them, ask what they want to be refered to as. Most people will understand, and will appreciate that you respect them enough to ask in the first place! If you're truly unsure I think it's safe to go by they or them at least at first. I think it's usually the safest thing to say.
Your fursona can talk! Most sonas can, even the feral ones. I think it's more rare that they can't talk.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:56:41 PM by Ori »
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
1. No, you don't *need* to have a tail. They're quite popular, but you can take them or leave them. You can even make as many furry characters without tail as you want. 'Twould be an interesting change of pace, if you ask me.
2. It's not a term specific to the fandom. And unfortunately, it only belongs to the "adult" side of things. *sigh*
3. Well, err... Have fun? That's honestly the only thing I expected from the fandom before I entered. Oh, and be mindful when you're looking around on internet. Like with everything, there are some... strange... sites and articles related to the furry fandom.
4. I have four characters so far. One of them, my main fursona, is a feral that can talk. My latest character, however, is an anthro that doesn't talk (but still understands language just fine). As for people in fursuit, well, that's a whole other story entirely.

Offline Oriaan

• Avid Aardvark
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/racoon (mostly fox)
  • Coloring: red, grey, black
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: pfft dunno
  • Build: bat/ demon wings apear sometimes,pretty thin,not very muscular
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: active but also inactive
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
So I’m kinda new & I had a few questions. I see a lot of fursonas with tails. What’s with the tail? Do I have to have one?

I also see the word cum in some places. Is that a furry term for something? I googled it but got inappropriate images.

And is there anything else I should know when joining the furry community? Please help & thank you for any answers!

Post Merge: September 11, 2018, 03:44:41 PM
Another question. Can my fursona talk?
YOu dont need a tail, make your fursona however you want
cum is uh......u h...........you'll find that out, but no its not a furry term
and uh...not really, just dont be a dick, have fun, be nice, and all that
  • Avatar by: Adrianepicl (me) (its old but im too lazy to chang ite currently lol)

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »
Just do what you want, pretty much!

Sounds like you're not much interested in the adult stuff, so I'd avoid the big sites like FurAffinity, InkBunny and the like. (Even if you turn on SFW filters, a huge chunk of users won't actually flag their content as NSFW) Folks are pretty good about keeping it clean around here, which is one of the main reasons I'm still around if I'm to be honest. I recently picked up FurVilla, which has been a spark of joy in terms of furry stuff, but I might just be easily amused. :P It's also clean in that way!

If you ARE interested in the adult stuff, a lot of folks go into RP of the sort, and there are like...a lot of naughty artists; I'm certain you could find something that plays right to your tastes!

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 07:57:03 AM »
You should read the What is a furry post written by our wonderful WingedZephyr, I think it'll explain a lot of things and answer a few of your questions :)
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";