The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: plastic canvas or bandanna method!?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Setcho

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online
  • Who wants to be normal?
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: Who wants to know >~>
  • Height: 5'10
  • Build: Small
  • Currently: I was on the forums before it was cool
plastic canvas or bandanna method!?
« on: June 05, 2015, 04:27:58 AM »
hi, im planning on making my fur suit as i dont have the funds to order and pay for one so i was wondering, because i have seen two methods on how make the head. Method 1: sticking foam onto a bandanna/ski mask and building it like that or Method 2: using plastic canvas to shape out the face and then placing the foam on.

It'd be really nice to hear from people who have fursuits them selves and to hear what they have done to make their head :3

thanks <3

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
Re: plastic canvas or bandanna method!?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 12:00:21 PM »
I can imagine foam being easier to shape and work with than plastic canvas, but since I've never seen a head built with that method irl (I've got to look at quite a few heads made by lots of different peoples and I own three myself) I can't really say 100% for sure. The ski mask/balaclava method seem to be the most common one tho, along with resin.
I'd also imagine a balaclava head to be more comfortable to wear and easier to get the right size of, but that's also just my impressions of it.

Offline Setcho

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 03:34:17 PM »
oh nice thanks, yeah i waas gonna take up a spare job to maybe think about commissioning one but everywhere seemed to be closed and tbh it would take me a while to aquire the funds so making one is diffidently the best option. good to hear.   

Offline Cinder42

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • I am not crazy. I have never been tested.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Mutant Coyote
  • Coloring: blue/grey, dark brown, golden/brown, white
  • Height: 5'1
  • Weight: 124lb
  • Build: Short, curvy, animalistic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Trying my hide off
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
I have actually attempted making two fusuits in the past, one with the plastic canvas method, and one with the foam and ski-mask method. I highly recommend the later.

The plastic canvas base has a lot of risk of either not being properly measured in the first place, or slowly warping as you work to where it doesn't fit properly or becomes uncomfortable. Plus, getting it to hold its shape well can sometimes lead too a lot of excess weight that can lead the plastic canvass to break.

My recommendation is to go with the ski-mask+foam. It's extremely light weight, easy to wear, and if you build it around an accurate representation of your head (Or like in my case, I just used my own head) it will also fit very well and not move around on your head like the canvas might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O73FgEWG2Jk This is the tutorial I based mine of of
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:01:08 PM by Cinder42 »
WARNING: Likes to type obnoxiously long messages! Approach with caution!

Offline Setcho

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 02:46:15 PM »
thanks that helps alot :3