The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Nation's first full face transplant (caution)  (Read 1887 times)

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
Nation's first full face transplant (caution)
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090505/ap_on_he_me/med_face_transplant

Connie Culp recieved a new face after her husband shot her in the face.  This is a miracle.
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

Offline PhantomStone

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: brown bear
  • Coloring: dark brown colored fur.
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 480
  • Build: stocky
Re: Nation's first full face transplant (caution)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:59:13 AM »
that is sad, amazing, and good all at once.

it's terrable that that has to happen to people, but it's good that she got a new face and is on the way to recovery. and it's just amazing, that is how far humanity has come, we can trade faces and give people a new shot at life. it just shows how far humanity as a whole has come.

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »

it's terrable that that has to happen to people, but it's good that she got a new face and is on the way to recovery. and it's just amazing, that is how far humanity has come, we can trade faces and give people a new shot at life. it just shows how far humanity as a whole has come.

One could argue that humanity has not really come far at all. We still kill over petty things, religion and race. There are animals with less issues then us and most of all humanity has really never left its barbaric stages. We just try to hide it with technology. Had her husband not tried to kill her she wouldn't of needed this.

Don't get me wron its amazing they can do such a thing, but the ability to do so does not relieve the problems at hand.

Offline Arke

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
  • Species: Golden Retriever
  • Coloring: Golden :P
  • Height: 5' 7"
  • Weight: 130 lbs
  • Build: Lanky
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 03:52:54 PM »

One could argue that humanity has not really come far at all. We still kill over petty things, religion and race. There are animals with less issues then us and most of all humanity has really never left its barbaric stages. We just try to hide it with technology. Had her husband not tried to kill her she wouldn't of needed this.

Don't get me wron its amazing they can do such a thing, but the ability to do so does not relieve the problems at hand.
Which is why I envy my dog...

Still, that's one step out of the Bush anti-science era.

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »
Yea. I agree that humanity hasn't really come all that far but this will go a long way to help other people who may need this kind of treatment.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »

Don't get me wrong its amazing they can do such a thing, but the ability to do so does not relieve the problems at hand.

Not to be negative to the thread, but I do agree being the pessimist that I am.

Offline Kida Howlette

• Kuddly Kitten
  • To be Great is To be Misunderstood
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf
  • Coloring: white with grey patches
  • Height: 5' 6"
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: Built
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »
wow thats amazing!
"If you live to be one hundred years old, I want to live to be one hundred minus a day, so I never have to live one day without you. - Pooh

Offline ★Kuro★

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
    • DeviantArt
    • Facebook
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-dog
  • Height: 5'#0392"quot
  • Weight: 105lbs.
  • Currently: ;w;
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »
This is quite amazing.
One more thing the world has discovered how to do.
And really, that lady is pretty lucky.

Offline Fenrir

• Boisterous Bear
  • Please, call me Asimov.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6 foot
  • Weight: 160
  • Build: Lithe
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:35:32 PM »
As lucky as a lady that was shot in the face can be.  The transplant was miraculous to say the least, but wouldn't have been preferable for the shooting never to have happened?

Offline Chrono Blackwyng

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Cooking with mouth-fire since the dawn of time...
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Shapeshifter Dragon
  • Coloring: Varies too much to put down
  • Height: 6 feet 5 inches (anthro) 40 feet 6 inches (Feral)
  • Weight: 450 lbs (compressed muscle)
  • Build: somewhat muscular yet still agile
  • Currently: Chillin', thinkin', staying up later than I should...
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »
Agreed :)

However, this does make it possible for things like...acid damage, and extensive facial damage, to be completely fixable...so all-in-all it was a mixed blessing followed after a sad end to a relationship...
"From suffering I was born, From misery I was conceived. From the plight of Mortals I thrive, From the pits of Hell I rise, beware...... For I live.........."

"Wait, you're here for my shiny loot? I thought you were here to avenge the cattle and people I've slaughtered..."

"I may not always be a caring person, but even when I am furious, it is mostly at myself for becoming this way"
The definition of Pwn (along with examples): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhb89V43KWc&feature=channel

Offline Dan Witty

• Boisterous Bear
  • ^ Witty by hand ^
    • Awards
  • Species: Moose
  • Coloring: Light brown with dark brown patches, lime eyes
  • Build: Scrappy
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:14:12 PM »
I agree that it is disheartening to see and hear of such things happening. We humans have a long way to go before we break free of habits and instincts we inherited through evolution. That said, from a medical standpoint this is impressive, and I am very happy for Connie. I hope for her full recovery and wish her and her family well.
moosey fate... say moosey fate!

Offline Kadejtaal

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 02:45:45 AM »
Agreed :)

However, this does make it possible for things like...acid damage, and extensive facial damage, to be completely fixable...

Yeah, but there are less complicated options for recovery for these cases than a facial transplant. Ever heard of Original cells? Basicaly (For those who don't know), they're cells which haven't been given a function yet, so they can be whatever you want them to be by surgical manipulations. For example, if you were to harm yourself in a manner where you would have a scar, placing those cells in the fresh wound should completely heal it up and prevent the formation of a scar. Scientists discovered that recently, so it's not perfected, so it's impossible for now to do incredible recoveries (Tough, if I recall well, they fixed someone's heart with them). Oh yeah, you have a good amount of original cells somewhere in your nose, so take care of it in case soemthing happens to you.

Back on topic, just extracting the cells should be good enough (After practice) to heal up such damages. (If the damages aren't too extensive, such as a bullet hole)