Author Topic: Sewing for the first time :3  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Ves

• Avid Aardvark
  • hiya folks!
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: isopod
  • Coloring: Green
  • Build: Cuddly
  • Currently: Chilling
Sewing for the first time :3
« on: October 29, 2023, 11:56:44 PM »
Decided to finally start my adventure into sewing fur pieces - with the simplest thing, a tail  ^_^! I was aiming for a nice little cat tail. Though, as with doing anything for the first time, I did learn a lot.

Instead of going all out on expensive proper faux fur, I decided to use a very short pile (much cheaper) teddy bear type fur that I got for I think £6 a metre. so probably not the best for practicing, mistakes were a lot less expensive lol. It is still luckily very soft, and the colour somewhat matches my hair which I didn’t realise :)

[ID: beige, short pile faux fur material /end ID]

I made the pattern a long while ago and definitely shouldn’t have added the extra bit on the left at the top , something I had to try fix after sewing, as it made the tail sit weirdly on my back.

[ID: A cardboard pattern of a feline tail /end ID]

Then, after cutting out the pieces, came sewing. First, I decided to sew a zip so I’d easily be able to take the stuffing in and out, but I don’t have a zipper foot… andd I sewed it the wrong way round… twice. The second time I just decided to leave it, as it was on the right side of the fabric, but the zip was not.

[ID: a backwards brown zipper attached to the back of a beige tail /end ID]

Sewing the main part of the tail went pretty well! I used a straight stitch and after a zigzag stitch around the seam allowance for extra support (but I couldn’t quite figure out how to get it to behave so it’s around half on the tail  x_x). I think my sewing machine got very mad me, and I think started growling at me at some point. I really need to learn what exactly I’m doing wrong for it to jam like it does  :sweatdrop:. Still a lot faster than hand sewing though

For where the end that attached to the belt, I used a small circle of black fleece with a loop of elastic sewn to it.
I attach the fleece to the rest of the tail with a blanket stitch (but kinda got impatient so I definitely didn’t go over it enough)

And finally the easiest part: filling the tail with stuffing  ^_^ I don’t think anything actually went wrong in this part so - yippee!

I had to had to make some adjustments to the tail, especially to the top, which I did kinda jankily by just rolling the excess fur and stitching it.

The belt I’m using for the tail is actually too big for me, however this has the very nice effect of making the tail a lot more swingy  :D There is a pretty obvious gap between my body and the tail, something I think is from the fleece and elastic been a little too small, and I probably should have used 2 loops

Here is the finished product:

[ID: A beige feline tail with a short pile fur attached to a black belt, lying on the floor /end ID]

So yeah that’s it! My first experience finishing any sort of sewing thing, and first time making anything furry  ^_^
Overall, a very fun use of day and I got something cute out of it hehe. I really hope to make more stuff in the future  ^_^

[ID: a gif of me standing with the tail swinging behind me /end ID]
  • Signature art by: me :)
-the boingo (xe/xir)

Sonas: Lumi - teal house cat | Beepy/Beewee - black house cat | Iso - green isopod | Juniper - blond house cat (it’s a little crowded in here isn’t it)

"Look at you. Sailing through the air majestically. Like an eagle. Piloting a blimp." - GLaDOS (Portal 2)

Offline ZaraRaEchidna

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • The last of the echidnas
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Mobian Echidna
  • Coloring: Hot pink
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: WAKE UP, BIMMY!
Re: Sewing for the first time :3
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 02:07:42 PM »
Looks fantastic! Always glad to see folks getting into sewing - you did a brilliant job.
Next, how about you give this ear pattern from Matrices a go? It's a fun one, and will give you something to match the tail  :D
https://pupdates.matrices.net/post/151041039403/make-your-own-ears-enjoy-this-simple-pattern-with

ZARA-RA!!