The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Strange Species  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Glitch-Rat

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rat~
Strange Species
« on: September 03, 2018, 07:04:33 AM »
I have a question for creators(wasn't sure what forum to post this to)
But especially people who have made fursuits. How did you get past "strange" species to draw or make the suit?
By strange species I mean almost anything that isn't canine, feline, or draconic

For example, one of my fursonas is a Goat. Drawing him, it was just a matter of references and learning and all, but when it came to making his suit.
There was nothing anywhere for goats.
No bases, no parts(noses ect.) No tutorials, no tips, nothing.

I'm facing the problem again with J.D.
There's next to nothing for rats.
Everything is canine, feline, or draconic.
I'm having an easier time than with Seymour but it's still a bit difficult, since there's SO MUCH, tutorial, and part wise for everything else and I'm going at it almost blind with him.

I came around to this when I was looking for claws and was trying to figure out what claws could work for him. (small feline maybe??)

Do any of you have any tips for working around the lack of things for odd species?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:10:45 AM by Glitch-Rat »

Offline Wycca

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Wyvern
  • Coloring: Seafoam green fading to royal purple on the feet, wings and tail.
Re: Strange Species
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 04:15:18 AM »
Pretty much what you're gonna have to do is improvise on a lot of things and experiment. Real life references should be helpful or looking up suits of species that are pretty close. (mice come to mind I've seen a few of those online and a really cute hamster one.)

There are people that will make custom species bases for heads and such so you could ask around and see if you can find someone that would be willing to try for a rat base.

and just from experience as a rat owner I'd say small feline claws would work good. They look a lot alike (and certainly feel alike when they try and catch themselves on you.)