The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite Biblical Stories?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Corran Orreaux

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
Favorite Biblical Stories?
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
The Bible needs no introduction, while I don't believe in its divinity, that doesn't change that it is (least in my view) a testament to human creativity. I place it next to other great works like the Odyssey and the Epic of Gilgamesh. So here I am simply detailing my favorite stories and passages from the Bible and why I like them.

John 8:7 "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I like this for a couple reasons, main being its implications. Jesus didn't through a stone, let he who is without sin cast the first stone, and he didn't cast one. It implies that even the best among us are still human and not without sin. That Jesus was still a man and imperfect, even despite being the son of god. Somewhat similar is Peter's denial of Christ, for Peter was said to be one of Jesus's most loyal and committed followers, yet he denied him three times leading up to Christ's crucifixion.   

The fall of King Saul. A story primarily about the importance of humility and self-disciple. Saul was (in the bible) the first king of Judah and became such due to his loyalty to god and his strength. But eventually after he got the crown he grow arrogant, believing god was fully on his side he did as he pleased, took part in hedonistic pleasures and put himself above his people and his duties to god. When David begins to grow in popularity Saul sees him as a threat to his throne and tries to have David killed. Saul is killed in battle, seeing everything taken away from him due to his actions. David is quickly crowned King after the deaths of both Saul and his son.   

--
Now, these are just a couple of my favorites, I would like to hear yours.

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
Re: Favorite Biblical Stories?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:34:10 PM »
Let's see...

Jesus' birth, a very common one and celebrated at Christmas. It's maybe not the most important story, but this peculiar event put all of Jesus' life, events and actions into motion.

Romans 3:21-30. Not a story per se, but a beautiful piece. It illustrates perfectly how God's love works: They love everyone, no matter what happens. This part gave me some peace of mind after finding out I was a therian.

Creation! I really like nature and especially the animals that belong in them. There's so much power going out in the first story in the Bible, and like Jesus' birth marked a start of something creation marked the start of everything. Not to mention everything was almost perfect back then - including some particular points I don't want to put into detail here.

And lastly almost all of Revelation. It describes events yet to happen, and the return of Jesus.. In a really weird way, I might add. Needless to say, this event'll be even bigger than anything we've seen so far (and no, we have not SEEN creation).

Offline Brigand

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Coyote
  • Height: 186cm
  • Weight: 85kg
  • Build: Slim/slightly muscular
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »
Turning water into wine. I'm not very religious, but Jesus was alright.

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pig/Bat/Devil
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 99 lbs
  • Build: Short and trim
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: refreshingly busy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »
That debacle between Martha, Mary and Jesus. I don't remember the passage, but Jesus's correction of Martha's attitude I find very refreshing. "Take a breather; stop idolizing presentability so much and permit me to actually interact with all of you a little."
  • Signature art by: Me again
What did the toilet say to the bath tub?

"I'm hungry for an apple."

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
It's also worth mentioning that the meeting between Jesus and Nicodemus is absolutely hilarious for this one sentiment expressed by the latter: "You're not suggesting that entrance into heaven relies on me reinserting myself back into my mother's womb at my age, are you?"

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 09:23:13 PM »
Oh, just remembered: Abraham's near-sacrifice of Isaac: this one is of particular interest to me for its central question, which asks, are you prepared to lose the most important thing in your life? I didn't understand the story until I read the end of Nassim Taleb's Black Swan, which ends with the story of a man who lost his family and, before he was executed was asked what his biggest loss was, and he responded, "I have lost nothing. I have all my goods with me." I've seen the story of Isaac interpreted as a test of unquestioning obedience from Christians and Atheists alike; but I see it as more a case of bringing yourself to be at peace with possible losses.

Offline RedWoof

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 05:05:56 AM »
I'm not sure, but Solomon's song is pretty cool. It should really be taught un Sunday school more often.