The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ancient Greeks or Romans?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline flurry

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: lemurdog
Ancient Greeks or Romans?
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »
Which do you think is better. I like the Romans a lot I guess cos I studied them much and its excting reading about their conquests lol. Then again people say the Romans copied the Greeks who had better culture etc.

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
Re: Ancient Greeks or Romans?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
For me it’s a tossup. The Romans had better engineering, sanitation, all that practical stuff, but the Greeks had better myths and philosophy.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline AloetheFerret

• Vibrating Furby
  • მე ქართული ვარ~
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Ferret
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:52:54 AM »
The Romans of course! <Removed> Roma invicta!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:21:59 PM by Michen_S, Reason: Please do not post inappropriate content »

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
I like Ancient Greece more than Ancient Rome, but that's just because of the astronomy pursuits and philosophical contributions.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Corran Orreaux

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:20:49 PM »
I don't like the idea of saying a culture or people is inherently better than the other. I find Rome more interesting in terms of military and religious history (specifically midish and late rome and the conflicts within between christianity and traditional roman paganism) but I find the Greeks more interesting on an individual and of course philosophical scale. People truly ahead of their time such as Epicurus, a man who pushed for scientific progress and his school was the first in ancient greece to allow women as students not as an exception but as a rule. 

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
The ancient Greeks were the birth of the western world, they invented western philosophy and were advanced in both religion, society and military tactics. But their advances were also plagued by war, infighting and chaos, many states within greece would constantly fight each other. And although they were extremely influential in terms of power they were dwarfed by competing empires at the time like the Persian empire.

The Romans on the other hand had perfected a modernized society within the ancient world, conquering most of it. During its extremely long reign I think its hard to argue that the Roman empire wasn't top dog. I'd have to say Roman just because, although the Greeks were cool Rome just was much cooler.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline MuttButt

• Avid Aardvark
  • Groovy Pup, Matty Mutt
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Canadian Tolling Retriever/Lab/Aussie Mutt
  • Coloring: brown
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs
  • Build: slender
  • Currently: soft and gay
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 02:09:53 PM »
I'm a fan of the greeks cuz they were way less aggressive and way more gay IIRC :V
Resident Hippie Mutt Dog~

pan/poly/any pronouns, DM friendly and partial to tummy rubs!

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:24:23 AM »
I'm a fan of the greeks cuz they were way less aggressive and way more gay IIRC :V

They were both pretty gay :P
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 06:27:10 PM »
And both pretty aggressive. It’s just that the greek city states mostly warred with each other, whereas the romans warred with everyone else.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline Alessia Starfurr

• Vixen of the Stars
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY...Rubber sword?
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf (Hybrid Fox Wolf)
  • Coloring: Dark Blue, Light Blue
  • Weight: WHA!?!?
  • Build: Slim,fit.
  • Currently: Still raiding open fridges and freezers.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 11:08:05 PM »
what's the difference their essentially the same thing just different time period
Uhh..Lord I didn't train to be a pilot. Tell me I don't have any more flying to do today.........................  Amen. ~ 'Dutch' Halo3 ODST.

We all go through peroids of darkness. In such times we can turn to the Lord, but it's good to have friends ~  Joshua Graham , Fallout New Vegas, Honest Hearts.

When people are lost they turn to the man who  acts like he knows the way out,  when the truth is he knows less than them. ~ John McMillan Original War

"Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself" -Unknown.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" ~William Shatter, Airplane II 

Credits: Alesssia pictures by JackThorn/Tomas13

Offline Alessia Starfurr

• Vixen of the Stars
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY...Rubber sword?
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf (Hybrid Fox Wolf)
  • Coloring: Dark Blue, Light Blue
  • Weight: WHA!?!?
  • Build: Slim,fit.
  • Currently: Still raiding open fridges and freezers.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 07:15:46 PM »
what's the difference their essentially the same thing just different time period

Uhm... no. They have resemblances because at one point the Roman empire conquered Greece and decided to incorporate Greek culture in their own after being almost charmed by it.

The Romans had a more advanced society, a working laws based system that was far ahead everyone else at the time, and created one of the biggest empires in history (still not the biggest by any stretch), while Greece didn't have an empire, just colonies. This is just to name a few differences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I feel like my history knowledge is abandoning me.
it seemed to me they were fairly similar.
Uhh..Lord I didn't train to be a pilot. Tell me I don't have any more flying to do today.........................  Amen. ~ 'Dutch' Halo3 ODST.

We all go through peroids of darkness. In such times we can turn to the Lord, but it's good to have friends ~  Joshua Graham , Fallout New Vegas, Honest Hearts.

When people are lost they turn to the man who  acts like he knows the way out,  when the truth is he knows less than them. ~ John McMillan Original War

"Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself" -Unknown.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" ~William Shatter, Airplane II 

Credits: Alesssia pictures by JackThorn/Tomas13