The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Brainwave reading tails?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline CZAtion

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/demon/fox hybrid
  • Coloring: Crimson red/grey
  • Height: 5’ 11”
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Improving at Osu!
Brainwave reading tails?
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
(sorry if this is the wrong thread, haven’t been on this forum in a while)

So, I’ve been wondering, have there been any new kickstarters or anything regarding brainwave related tails? I know there was a gofundme a while back but it didn’t even reach half its intended goal.

It seems like a nobrainer, right? I mean, there’s brainwave cat ears, so why not make a tail to go along with it?

Personally, I think it would be pretty cool. It would add a whole new layer of depth to non-verbal communication, and it would be able to convey feelings pretty much universally (even though facial expressions can already do that, but still). I would just love to wag my tail when excited in real life, or have it drop between my feet when I’m scared or lost. It just doesn’t feel right being able to only do those things in rp.

What are you guys’ thoughts on this?
twitch.tv/MTF_AsrielDreemurr

Offline CZAtion

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
Re: Brainwave reading tails?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:46 AM »
I think the concept itself is interesting, but you have to look at it in a more technical way: ears sit on the head so the sensor doesn't need to be too long to reach for the forehead, thus making it more practical than, let's say, a long wire running across your back so that the tail can be connected to the sensor on your head. It could be made wirelessly, by having the sensor and tail as separate devices, but then the sensor would need some sort of strap to remain attached to the forehead, which could be uncomfortable.

Also, you wouldn't be able to wear ears and tail at the same time unless someone produces and sells both together making them work with just one sensor. I haven't seen the old campaigns you are talking about so I don't know if they had any prototypes, but I believe the reason why it didn't catch on as much as ears is due to these and probably more issues. If they release one though, you can be sure I will get one.

Look at the Shippo promotional demonstration, they had a designed that worked. Granted, it was a tech demo, but still.

Offline CZAtion

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
Re: Brainwave reading tails?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
I read the kickstarter page and it says it used heartbeat instead of brain waves to tell the wearer's mood, still it was an interesting concept, sad to see it didn't have success. It looked nifty, and it shouldn't be too complex to make it yourself with some electronics and programming knowledge.
I’d need some help from an actual engineer. I have no actual education regarding that stuff