The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Old vs Modern Technology  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Sleep comes quick with hot cocoa and a blanket.
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Blue and white.
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
Old vs Modern Technology
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:12:17 AM »
So, I am just curious (if there is a similar post, sorry), how many people prefer modern technology and how many prefer the older versions. For example, my step brother likes to upgrade to newer televisions, computer components, phones, game systems, and the like. I am happy as long as I have my tube television with my N64 and PS2.

So, who out there is stuck in the past and who always has to have the newest thing on the market?

Offline Aveq

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger
  • Coloring: Grey fur
  • Height: A bit smaller than average
  • Currently: Feel free to message me if you wanna chat!
Re: Old vs Modern Technology
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
I'm not someone who has the newest technology mainly due to the price but I try to keep fairly modern with what I do have. I really don't like slow computers so basically just stick an SSD in with some older components (like 4-5 years old) which were good at the time and that feels fine to me.
wibblewobble

Offline juliet

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Look into buying my commissions.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 5'3''
  • Weight: 165
  • Build: Curvy!
  • Currently: Selling commissions
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 06:33:47 PM »
I really like some of the older technology, like the old style gaming consoles. Imma go through a few things I personally own, and use.

So as far as computers go I actually have a custom build desktop that was made for gaming specifically. It's got old and new parts but the basic need for my computer is functionality. I also have a 5 year old lappy that is TRASH. (It actually runs well but not compared to my desktop so I never use it.

I am a fan of apple devices because they are extremely simplistic, like I can not give you a better reason other than I can not mess them up. (Besides that I love taking them apart and putting them back together, I swear I could be a cellphone repair person. ) So in the realm of devices I have an iPad Air 2 (I think? Or it's a Air 1. Both are extremely similar.)  I had a iPhone 6 plus but my boyfriend busted it and I don't feel like repairing it, I have better things to spend my money on. Finally I have a 5th generation iPod classic. The classics were the ones with the wheels and I have a more sentimental attachment to these because I had one when I was very young. I also have an iPhone 4 that is literally in mint condition. I just upgraded and never looked back.

I am looking into getting an iPad Pro 12.9 inch for art and school purposes because hell yes they are lovely.

The phone I am currently using is a Samsung, Note 5. I haven't upgraded because for me, this is literally the perfect phone. The only thing they could have done better is battery life. I use the pen all the time for sketching on the go, (Which is why I want the iPad pro, something bigger to use on the go.) and I can actually do school work on the phone rather quickly so I like to use it if I'm at school or work to do my small and quick assignments.

As far as it goes I really like the things that are starting to come out but the older generations have a sort of reliability that I can not pass up.
  • Signature art by: Also Me xD

Offline Misfit-Mongrel

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • graymuzzle and part porcupine
    • Fur Affinity
    • Blessings
    • Awards
  • Species: dog
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Having just worked to get an old Mac to boot, then struggling to get it connected via ethernet to a current computer so that I could harvest files off old SCSI devices, I am very aware that old technology can "too quickly" become obsolete.

I'm glad to now have access to those files on CDs. When CDs and DVDs become obsolete, I will act more quickly to move my files to whatever the more modern medium will be. (They're my mate's digital art files, so they're valuable to me.) I don't really trust the cloud for anything valuable because when those servers disappear, I won't have any access to those files.

I wish our PS2 still worked-- those were great games! But we live in a dusty rural area; eventually the disks were unreadable, despite trying to clean the unit with canned air. We still play our old Wii. Heck, we've brought out our Atari 2600 and had a great time.

Avatar by Lunakia (http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/lunakia/)

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.
— Francis Bacon