The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you spend most of your time with furries?  (Read 2182 times)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Do you spend most of your time with furries?
« on: December 24, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »
Studies and surveys within the furry fandom have suggested that most furries hang out primarily with other furries. Especially when it comes to romantic interests.

I know for me, most (but not all) of my friends that I hang out are either furries or LGBT, all my partners have also been furries. So do you hang out mostly with furries (online OR offline) and if so, why? Have you dated non-furries and how has the dynamic been between you two if that is the case?
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Sleep comes quick with hot cocoa and a blanket.
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Blue and white.
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
Re: Do you spend most of your time with furries?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »
I think minorities like to associate with other minorities because of relatable experiences not shared with by the majority.

We have all seen the hate and scorn by the majority to those with alternative lifestyles. It used to be a LOT worse not too long ago. And it was absolutely horrifying in the small town that I grew up in before moving to the city. But I think that is why many people from the LGBT and furry communities are far more empathetic and welcoming than any other group. They know what rejection looks like.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for LGBT people and furrys. Though I can associate with "normal" people, I defiantly prefer to spend my time around minorities. Relationship wise, I am happily married, but if I where looking, I would never look outside LGBT and furry comunity. Put simply, I am more comfortable with being rejected then trying to be more like what I am not. I spent a life time trying to be "normal" before finally meeting my spouse. Never going back to that again.

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »
Let me see... Surprisingly, my offline friend is not from the furry fandom (though she might have some interest in it), but most of my onlin friends are. As for romantic interests, please no romantic relationships. Though it would be nice if my owner is either a furry or a therian, it does make explaining stuff a bit easier.

Offline Alistair

• Resident pink saber
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Most Online
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Smilodon Populator
  • Coloring: Strawberry, cream, and black
  • Height: 7'2"
  • Weight: 350lb
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: Fortnite dancing into the inevitable future
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 05:22:17 PM »
I hang out mostly with furries, both online and irl. Although most of my romantic relationships have been with people who weren't, and the dynamic didn't really work out in the end because of the lifestyle choices >.> I personally find more comfort in interacting with other furries and people from the LGBT community. They usually have similar gripes and experiences that I do and it makes it much more easier to get along with someone I already have something in common with rather than someone who doesn't.
Royal Saber floof mane the first

Sir Sabering the first

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 09:58:43 PM »
So far, I don't hang out with any furries IRL. Shure, I'd like to, but I simply don't know any, where I live... :'P

And, besides that, I'm a very socially-adaptive person. So, it's not a problem for me to hang out with "normies", or other (less tolerant) subcultures, if it interests me.

As for romantic interests, though. Well, to put it frankly, I don't think that I'd care.

Ofcourse, perhaps it would be more likely for me to find an interesting partner in a subculture that I would also fit under, as the people in the same subculture likely share a scertain set of character traits, and thus fall under the same subculture.

But, I wouldn't be appaled by a potential partner who isn't a furry. And, likewise a PP who is a furry, won't get any priority. I tend to look at other qualities to establish wether I find someone attractive or not.

(Sigh... No, not those qualities. Have some dignity, ffs! >:c )
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:03:04 PM by A brisky little challenger »

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:34:27 AM »
I would break it down to:
70% "normal" people 30% furries.
IRL and online accounted

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 06:35:51 AM »
I think for me, furries helped me a lot with my sexuality mainly because, when I did join an LGBT group being gay was the main focus, in furries being gay isn't really a focus, but at the same time its accepted. People just DO what they want kind of thing
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
  • Sleep comes quick with hot cocoa and a blanket.
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Blue and white.
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »
Yea, I hear that. However, my order was reverse. I joined a LGBT group years before I joined a furry group. No particular reason, just the order it played out.

Offline Brigand

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Coyote
  • Height: 186cm
  • Weight: 85kg
  • Build: Slim/slightly muscular
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
Nope, most of my friends aren't furries and they probably don't even know what that means. That's because there are very few furries in my area, and I pretty much lost contact with them. They were fun to hang out with, that's for sure. I talk on the internet with random people, I don't rally care if they're furries or not.

My girlfriend is kind of sort of into furry art, but that's just a coincidence. I've never been in a relationship with someone who's obviously a furry.

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »
All my friends are furries, all of them online. My first offline boyfriend and I coincidentally joined the fandom separately later on. Every mate I had since have been furries (met from this site, even). I don't have any issue with being with non-furries, I just find furries generally easier to communicate with as most of my socializing is rooted here. I don't take my place in the fandom seriously; for me, it's simply a creative interest instead of a lifestyle. I'd say it's more the chillness and creatively thinking nature in certain furries that I like, not their status as furries.

Offline Jenac Azaela

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • If I am pretty, you are gorgeous~
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic fox
  • Coloring: White fur, icy blue eyes
  • Height: 175 cm
  • Currently: Holla holla get dollar
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 08:29:43 PM »
The only people I talk to regularly are furries, and they are few, mostly because I have such social anxiety I rarely ever make new friends. Everyone I interact with other than family and relatives are online as well.
I have never had a romantic relationship with a true furry. I have been in two relationships; one with a brony and the other with a brony who had a slight connection to the furry fandon. Both relationships worked while they lasted, but both have ended several years ago, about a year or a half before I left the MLP fandom. As for romantic interest... honestly I'm more attracted to fursonas than I am to humans, so I guess I can really only hope to find love in a fellow furry.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:31:44 PM by Jenac Azaela »

Offline Aveq

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger
  • Coloring: Grey fur
  • Height: A bit smaller than average
  • Currently: Feel free to message me if you wanna chat!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:31:21 AM »
I have no idea if any of the people I see IRL regularly are furries, nor would they have much of an idea that I happened to be one. There must be one out there that I have met (other than my BF) considering the number of people I've bumped into in this huge city. Online I talk to a few furries I've met on forums.
wibblewobble

Offline s0ul_d3ww

• Avid Aardvark
  • Whatever.
    • Global PokédeX Plus
    • Awards
  • Species: Rat/Robot Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Solid dark gray.
  • Height: ???
  • Weight: ???
  • Build: Bit chubby, bulky with robotic parts.
  • Currently: I'm doing okay.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 04:08:26 AM »
Does spending time with yourself count? Then yes. For the most part, no. If my friends are furries and they are not telling me then yes but for the most part, I'd say a safe no.

Offline Emtile

• U.S ARMY
  • Donator
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Iguana/lizard
  • Coloring: Yellow scales with orange eyes
  • Height: 5 ft 8in
  • Weight: 138lbs
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Was doing stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 01:17:08 AM »
Most of my IRL friends are just normal or anime weebs. But I know one furry IRL, the rest are online.
  • Avatar by: KeahiNimbusLeHyena (Love you)

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 04:25:43 AM »
Having only two furry friends can't say that I hang out with either one of them too much. And knowing the personalities of both of them, I know for a fact they would probably hate each other... a lot XDD
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)