The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Australia voted yes to same sex marrage  (Read 1981 times)

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
Australia voted yes to same sex marrage
« on: December 07, 2017, 07:59:19 AM »
Let it be known that on December the 7th of 2017 the Australian government voted YES to same sex marriage and that there were ) amendments to the bill.

i know someone who will be very happy to see this information for he is on the site and now can legally marry the one he loves and i can aswell 28 days from now as the bill goes to the stage of royal accent.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/937618628635217920

Also in parlement this was asked by a MP to his partner with a Yes and it is on record
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/937618628635217920
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
Re: Australia voted yes to same sex marrage
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Meanwhile the MEP's that voted for yes (after having a deal) got backstabbed.

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »
Congratulations Australia! That’s great news.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status/938891751212716032

same sex marriage is now a australian law
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:42 PM »
Don't share too early, the parliament ransacked too many people and with the next elections this might be reversed.
They promised too many things too many people and betrayed too many people/

Congrats Australia, you've shot many people in the back and expect a counter-reaction, really great job  T_T T_T T_T

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:23:30 AM »
Now I can get a cute Australian boyfriend and have a reason to move there.  HeeHee
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Kara

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "That's what's up."
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Coywolfdog
  • Coloring: Shades of gray with other colors mixed in
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 195lbs
  • Build: Average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Wheeeee
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »
I'm so glad they opened to it!  Though it'll be shot down most likely due to past events.
Welcome, Child, To the wishing well. You ask for heaven, we give you hell.

---
I do commissions on dA! throw a PM at me if you're interested!

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
Don't share too early, the parliament ransacked too many people and with the next elections this might be reversed.
They promised too many things too many people and betrayed too many people/

Congrats Australia, you've shot many people in the back and expect a counter-reaction, really great job  T_T T_T T_T

I don't think that'll happen.

First of all the party that passed the Same-Sex marriage laws is actually the right wing party here. They're called the Liberal party but they are the right wing party of Australia, the only other major party is the Labor party and they're left leaning. So if during the next election, the Labor party gets elected, they'll keep it because they've always supported it, and it's unlikely the liberal party will reverse a decision they've already committed to. So unless the One Nation party gets in control (very unlikely considering currently hold only a few seats, and a lot of them have already been fired due to Citizenship issues).

Second of all, before the law passed there was a plebiscite, which was kinda shitty but did show that more than 63% of Australians supported the bill, without any amendments. Not all Australians voted as it was optional (but the voter turn out was considerably larger than any US federal election haha) but all the public polls also show a strong support by the general public for marriage equality, so reversing the decision would be a dangerous one politically.

Third of all, no one was promised amendments by the Bill, I have no idea where you got that from? The idea was proposed by Tony Abbott (who abstained from the final marriage equality bill) and was proposed by some of the campaign managers of the No Campaign, but no minister ever told anyone, or any other MPs, that amendments would be passed. The current bill ALREADY HAS several religious protections that allow, for example, priests to refuse marrying a gay couple, and can allow churches to turn away a gay couple, the amendments were to extend that to [any small business] and civil celebants (IE: people who weren't religious leaders, but in the eyes of the law should not be bound by religion). When the bill was proposed, everyone within the house and senate were totally aware that the bill had no amendments, and if they voted yes to this bill, with no amendments, then the bill would pass, with no amendments, and they still voted yes anyway.

Honestly, I don't know where you get your ideas about Australian politics but you definitely need to rethink your researching strategy.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Athlaros

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Obtainable by request
  • I can't fit the Bee Movie script here!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Griffin.
  • Coloring: Various shades of brown, white tufts of feathers and a yellow beak and claws.
  • Height: 5'6.
  • Weight: 240 pounds.
  • Build: Pretty chubby and stout.
  • Currently: Yikes. COVID-19.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 03:21:31 AM »
Sometimes the world isn't so mean after all. Wonderful news! I'm glad to hear about it. Have a great wedding.
  • Signature art by: Sprites by GPX. RPG thing by Glitchless.

Offline Momma Bird

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Sleep comes quick with hot cocoa and a blanket.
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Blue and white.
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Currently: Contemplating the perplexity of complex metallurgy that is my paper clip.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:42:39 AM »
I don't even understand how this can still be a thing. Marriage practices certainly predates Christianity, and I believe it even predates Judaism. Thus, no religious institution can OWN marriage and determine who is eligible and who is not.

I never got this issue, and I am grateful to live in Canada. If one church does not want to merry two people from the LGBT, let them opt out in doing so, but they should not be able to prohibit such a union any further then that. On the other side of the coin, they are performing a public service, perhaps they should be more open.

I don't personally believe God sees gender. I think its only us that get caught up in it.

Post Merge: December 21, 2017, 05:52:53 AM
PS - I do fall under the LGBT umbrella, and I do at times struggle reconciling my marriage with my faith. This is something that hits home. There are disagreements from both conservative Christians and liberal Christians, they both have valid arguments to support their beliefs.

And there are bigger issues in the world, like people being homeless and starving. There are orphans without loving homes. And this is what churches and congress want to focus on. I just don't get it :(.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:52:53 AM by Momma Bird, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
As a devout Christian I have to say that, quite frankly, I don't care as much as others would like me to. I'm indifferent towards Australia accepting same-sex marriage. Or just same-sex marriage in general.

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
I'm gonna have to join the park on why this is only a thing now, in Australia.

I mean, shure, this is great to hear!

But, it'll be 2018 in a handfull of days. Why only just now? What's been taking them soo long?

Offline SadDubwool

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Long time member guy, Never here.
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lop Rabbit
  • Coloring: Dark brown fur with light brown splotches
  • Height: Height:5'7
  • Currently: We'll have ourselves a ball
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 07:40:42 AM »
Glad to see that they've finally passed it! hopefully their parliament doesn't **censor** obliterate it
Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark, guard them well or one day you may be your own victim.

Offline s0ul_d3ww

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Whatever.
    • Global PokédeX Plus
    • Awards
  • Species: Rat/Robot Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Solid dark gray.
  • Height: ???
  • Weight: ???
  • Build: Bit chubby, bulky with robotic parts.
  • Currently: I'm doing okay.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 04:15:29 AM »
Glad to hear it! Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here for the Aussies.