Author Topic: Audiophiles?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Naturalize

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
Audiophiles?
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
Are any audiophiles here? I'd say I'm a learning g audiophile. I've always had that "ear" for sound and it's only grown with age. I'm able to tell distinct differences in sounds and frequencies and some day, when I have the money >.>, I want to have a huge audio setup to learn and play with to get the best sound.

Anyone else here kinda like that? :O

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Offline Inactive123

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
Re: Audiophiles?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
if an audiophile is someone who only collects their music in Flac to ensure the highest quality then I guess I'm guilty. I guess I don't really care as long as an MP3 doesn't sound like It went through the washer after I port it to my phone, so that's why I collect the Flac files and convert them so I can guarantee the highest quality  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:27:09 AM by Jenny Softbark »

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »
if an audiophile is someone who only collects their music in Flac to ensure the highest quality then I guess I'm guilty. I guess I don't really care as long as an MP3 doesn't sound like It went through the washer after I port it to my phone, so that's why I collect the Flac files and convert them so I can guarantee the highest quality  :)

Hold up. Transferring MP3s to other devices lowers quality? If that's true, that explains why the music I dragged to various devices throughout the years started to sound like crap. I thought I improperly ripped them from the CDs as a kid and didn't realize until I got better headphones (/ taste).

Over time I've become more concerned with sound quality. Not to an audiophile degree, I don't think. I don't obsess over it or anything. And to an audiophile my headset is probably a cheap piece of crap. It does the job fine, in my opinion, though I'd like to get a better set if I had the money and other priorities straightened out.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:14:43 AM »
Hold up. Transferring MP3s to other devices lowers quality? If that's true, that explains why the music I dragged to various devices throughout the years started to sound like crap. I thought I improperly ripped them from the CDs as a kid and didn't realize until I got better headphones (/ taste).

Over time I've become more concerned with sound quality. Not to an audiophile degree, I don't think. I don't obsess over it or anything. And to an audiophile my headset is probably a cheap piece of crap. It does the job fine, in my opinion, though I'd like to get a better set if I had the money and other priorities straightened out.

That's not true. MP3 can be perfectly fine and the only thing that will degrade it is actively re-encoding it; The same way just opening and looking at a jpg won't degrade it (common misconception), it's every time you modify and save it that degrades it.

Most likely it's just low-quality MP3 files from the start and you only gradually started noticing it over time.

That said, it's possible with Apple-devices (iphone, ipod) that it might degrade a little over time since these sometimes like to convert your music to Apple-friendly formats like AAC.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:16:22 AM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline MacTheShep

• Vibrating Furby
  • sleepy doggo
    • Awards
  • Species: Australian Shepherd
  • Coloring: Red Merle
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Build: Thin but fluffy
  • Currently: Listening to Music
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:52:38 PM »
Haha, I study Audio so i guess you could say i'm at least a semi-audiophile haha!

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • Learning the wisdom of the wolf
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black and grey frosting, generally a Native American feather dangle from one ear.
  • Height: big... a little over 40" at shoulders when 4 footing, over 6' standing
  • Weight: 190 +
  • Build: like a very healthy, active wolf should look!
  • Currently: learning... so much to learn!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 11:57:09 PM »
raises paw..."Guilty"

currently burning my whole cd collection (probably over 10000 discs) into iTunes... nothing better to do while I heal from surgery, so...

Disc in... disc out... repeat ad nuaseum...
Fuzzpaws the Wolf (temporarily)

(2 spirits, one body, one mind shared by both
Apache's call it Naake ni)

(Avatar artist unknown, will remove if needed)

Offline MacTheShep

• Vibrating Furby
  • sleepy doggo
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 12:06:43 AM »
That doesn't sound too fun! Good luck with healing from your surgery though, i'm sure the music will help you through it! :)

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
    • Awards
  • Coloring: White with black and grey frosting, generally a Native American feather dangle from one ear.
  • Height: big... a little over 40" at shoulders when 4 footing, over 6' standing
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:08:41 AM »
It's actually not bad, good computer, loads most pretty quickly.. Been working on it all week, have 44.5GB loaded, and only about 1/2 way thru..

This is the second time.. previous external drive tanked..

Offline MacTheShep

• Vibrating Furby
  • sleepy doggo
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 12:10:55 AM »
Dang, i usually don't get too much trouble with external drives! I'm currently labouring over the mix of some self-produced music and i'm starting to lose focus.

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »
well then, focus on what you're doing!!!!