The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Digitgrade Feetpaws  (Read 1598 times)

Offline pentrep

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
Digitgrade Feetpaws
« on: September 17, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
Hello everyone,

So, my fursuit is due to be delivered on Thursday. I am a mixture of anxiety, excitement, among many other things. But right now I am thinking about looking into buying digitgrade footpaws for my suit. I knew who I wanted to commission before I did the suit and I did so with the knowledge that they couldn't produce digi footpaws. The legs are however digi, just not the feet. So after looking into it there seems to be 3 makers who do digi feetpaws. My suit is toony while the makers who do digi style feet are realistic. That being said I'd like some input from the community. Any constructive comment would be much appreciated.
1. Would "realistic" digi paws look strange on a toony suit?
2. Can you recommend any makers that aren't realistic for digi style feet?
3. Do digi style paws have to be connected to the legs? (Rather inconsistent information on this)
Thanks everyone.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: Digitgrade Feetpaws
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »
Anything is possible.
I would simply suggest you actually look at the various fursuit-makers and artists out there, see what you like, and if you see anything that you want (so the mix of having a tonny suit with realistic aspects, etc.).
If you think realistic paws or anything goes well with a toony head, then do that! Nothing stopping you ;) And definitely don't let others decide what you should wear, since it's going to be your suit and you have to be happy with what you wearp otherwise you might be quickly bored with it.

Digi-styles paws can be connected or not to the legs. Keep in mind all of this suff is handmade, and if you commission something you can request whatever you want. Nearly anything is possible (keep in mind the more you ask, the more expensive it will be, of course). So that's why you'll have 'inconsistent' information, because there is a large number of ways to make a suit, and thus a variety of ways toconnect (or not connect) paws to the legs :)

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline pentrep

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »
Thanks for the response. I reached out to a few makers who specialize in realistic suits. But the bottom line is most won't take just a foot paw order. I have received one quote which was from a new maker on etsy who seemed comfortable with the idea of trying digi paws. The price was a lot more than I expected $500 and that's not including shipping. The paws she's made before didn't look bad but this would be the second time shes attempted the digi style paw. One of the problems is she said it would be better to have them connected. Also that at minimum the paws would have to be ankle length in order to give additional support to the foot since there is more balancing involved. Form what I've researched most people use stilts which isn't an option for me since my suit is already made. I'm not even sure ankle length paws would be an option with the digi padding but it seems plausible at least. My biggest gripe is I'd essentially have to bring both pairs to everywhere I suit. From what I was told you can't do much activity, other than walking, in digi style paws with out a lot of endurance training. So in short the effort involved in pulling it off seem a lot. Chalk it up to OCD but I still want it...I just hope I can find a cheaper maker with more experience. If anyone knows a maker, please let me know.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:21:29 AM »
No problem, glad I could help to some degree ^^;

I can understand. It takes a lot of time and effort to make any part of a fursuit. Thereare fursuit makers out there who will only take full suit orders or partials, but indeed not make any separate parts. There are some out there, however. Maybe you can look into fursuit making groups. Like on deviantArt and FurAffinity and ask around if they know anyone who would make digitigrade feet paws.

The problem you mentioned that is has to be connected somehow is an important one with digitigrade legs, yes, but there is always a solution. I have digitigrade legs on one of my suits. It's a 'shoe' part and the leg part, the latter is attached to the body suit. It's not exactly how I envisioned it, but it works. Maybe you can do something like that for you; have the foot base a little 'bigger' so it seems like it's just the toe-part you are standing on, and then work up from there.
Or, maybe have something like boots. Or something else and have them attach with straps.

What part of the suit would be 'attached' to the digitigrade legs? As in, what do you already have of the suit?

As for doing much else other than walking; That is usually the case with most fursuits anyways. But that really depends on how the feet are made and how agile you yourself can be.
The first few times in my fursuit (the one with the digitigrade padding) it was really weird walking, because I also have silicone padding underneath (paw padding), and I needed to get used to it, but now I can sort of run in the suit. I would be able to do much more if I wasn't limited by sight and by the huge heavy tail I have xD

As I said, making a fursuit (or even just the parts) can take a lot of time. It's often not really the materials that cost that much. It's also that you want something different that most probably have never done vefore either.
All in all the cost is approx. the amount that I would have guessed, but I would indeed keep looking if you can find someone else that still delivers good quality but might make it for a bit cheaper.

There is also a chance there might be (a ) fursuitmaker(s) where you are, so that could lessen the cost transport-wise. If you're interested in getting any names, I can mention a few but they're mostly famous fursuitmakers. However, I commissioned a fursuit from someone reasonably closeby and they still made very nice quality fursuits too.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline pentrep

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »
Thanks again for responding. It's nice to know someone else ventured into the realm of digi style paws. My biggest concern other than price is being able to long periods of time.  From what I was thinking it would be best to bring both the flat paws as well as the digi style paws until I got used to them. This is my first suit and I've yet to actually try it out. I am fairly athletic as I play amateur hockey on a bi-weekly basis so I figure I could deal with some of the endurance needed to suit for longer periods of time. But from what I understand walking on digi paws is another deal entirely. Walking on heels IE: the balls of your feet the entire time.

As far as the suit itself I am not overly worried about dealing with the digi style legs.  The balancing act on the paws worries me more than wearing the full suit regardless of what I've heard about. Right now I have the flat paws which I can use until I figure out if I want to indulge in digi paws or not. Most basic feet cost around 300$ so I was expecting a little more than that. Most people who have done digi style paws are realistic makers, as I said, and my suit is toony. Mixing the two doesn't sound appealing to me. Even if I buy the digi paws, chances are I will still end up using the flat feet. If you'd like to share that's fine.

The maker I was talking about is WeaselsonEasels, a newer maker who used to be a wildlife artist. Ironically she is working on a similar project but longer/taller. Using stilts to achieve the same effect. She said she thinks it would be probably but I'm confident she's trying to hook me into the sale. I probably wouldn't mind the price so much if it included shipping. Not to mention I already replaced my feet paws because I didn't like the originals. So this would be my third pair. Easily making it the most expensive part of my suit. Chalk it up to OCD, I suppose.

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: Recuperating
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »
Hey! I've made toony and realistic digi feetpaws myself, if you had any other questions that Ventus or you yourself haven't answered, I'd be more than happy to help!

If you still don't have any luck finding a maker, I could make peets for you if you'd like! $500 is a bit much honestly, materials for my big Nori feet were mayyybeeee $80 in total, with about 10 hours work time? Of course it depends on the makers' access to materials and the time it takes for them, but for a general view of the market, it's a bit much personally, especially for a new maker, wanting to get their name and portfolio out there.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:34:52 PM by Nori »

Offline pentrep

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 10:48:31 PM »
Sweet I will send you a PM. Thanks for responding.