The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Modifying a premade head  (Read 996 times)

Offline Stormeep

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger
Modifying a premade head
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »
So, my question is simple: can you turn an orange tiger white without damaging the plushy fur? The head is made up of mostly fur like a stuffed animal's (if that makes sense).

My sona is a white tiger, but I can deal with it being orange if I must. But I'd REALLY like to bleach it down lighter at least.

Thanks in advance!!

Offline Solomon the Solitary

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Subtle but bold.
    • Awards
  • Species: Chinese/Western Dragon Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Night black with a royal purple underbelly.
  • Height: Over 7'8.
  • Weight: 300-365 pounds.
  • Build: Muscular build and a fairly curvy body.
  • Currently: Feeling confident.
Re: Modifying a premade head
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »
From what I know about fabrics and dye, it's entirely possible to do that as long as you are careful and exercising caution. You'll most likely have to cover the parts you aren't interested in dyeing in tape or something, but I imagine that you could dye the orange white or spray-paint it white.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:39:35 PM »
It would be best having white fur, but you could try bleaching. Bleach definitely removes the colour. As Loyal said, be sure you take precautionary steps to ensure the parts are protected and properly covered you don't want to change.
Bleach might, however, affect the strength of the fabric/fur, but I think i's fine if you do it once thoroughly.

I wouldn't suggest spray paining it, a lighter colour on top of the darker, more colourful one would be hard to bring out. That, and spray paint (especially on fursuits) tend to wear out.
So unless you're looking forward to doing it regularly, I'd suggest bleaching.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
Unfortunately trying to bleach fur hasn't had much luck with altering the color, in my experience. I did a test to see what kinds of fur would be affected with straight bleach, and none of the swatches I soaked (after an hour) did anything to the fur itself, just left the residue of the bleach. I tested cheap fur from a local fabric store and luxury shag fur, I thought the cheap fur at least would bleed or lighten even a little, but nada :(
Since fur is a plastic essentially, it doesn't lighten like normal cotton or other natural based fabrics. There's polyester-specific dyes out there, but I don't know how well they do with fur, I know with fleece the results vary based on the color and how long you can afford to let the fabric soak.