The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ruminations on a Minecraft Sequel  (Read 1042 times)

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
Ruminations on a Minecraft Sequel
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »
This is something that's been brewing in my head for a while and I hope I can get some feedback here before posting it anywhere else. It's a multi-part essay on what I would like to see in a Minecraft sequel, if one ever gets made.

FYI, the main reason I'm doing this is that sometimes I get an idea stuck in my head and obsess over it until I get it out on paper, so to speak. But I would welcome any constructive criticism or suggestions.

Minecraft 2 Manifesto Intro

I have a problem, although I'm being mostly facetious when I say that. When I'm playing a video game that I enjoy, but that I feel could be better in some way, I begin to construct a better version of it in my head. I have no coding or game development experience, so I have no way of transforming my ideas into reality, but I can't stop thinking about it. Often I can no longer enjoy the game like I once did because I'm comparing to the better version that exists only in my head. Minecraft is one of those games.

I've decided to put my thoughts on the subject into words, to give them form, of a sort, in the hope that doing so will allow my brain to move on to other more productive pursuits. And maybe, just maybe, the right person will read this and put my ideas into action, either in a Minecraft sequel, or some other similar sandbox adventure game.

This is my Minecraft 2 Manifesto.

Minecraft 2 Manifesto

Minecraft is fun, immersive, and has massive replayability, with the right amount of challenge to be accessible to new players and engaging to veterans. What's more, its simple yet highly varied system of collecting raw resources and using them to craft tools and build structures makes it valuable as an educational tool.

Minecraft is a great game, but it could be even better.

I propose a number of changes and additions that I think would elevate Minecraft from a great game to one of the greatest games of all time. These changes focus on improving gameplay experience by adding greater gameplay variety while maintaining an easily manageable interface and inventory system, improving aesthetics through greater environmental variety, and improving educational value by making the overworld environments, basic raw materials, and in-game physics better reflect the real world.

Toward that end, I propose the following principles on which changes and additions should be made:

• Basic resources in the overworld should better reflect the diversity and range of real-world raw materials.

• Furnace interface should be retooled to allow materials to be combined to make new materials.

• Most, if not all, raw materials should have a use beyond the purely decorative, preferably multiple uses.

• Resources that are the most difficult or dangerous to acquire should have greater utility, to better reward players for hard work and risk-taking.

• Unnecessary inventory clutter should be avoided.

• Graphics and game physics should be upgraded, without sacrificing the simplified, blocky aesthetic that makes Minecraft so charming.

Many of these changes could be implemented as a Mincraft mod, but others are more fundamental to the game's mechanics, which is why I am proposing that they be implemented in the form of a sequel.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:41:07 AM by John Red Beard »
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline Solomon the Solitary

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Subtle but bold.
    • Awards
  • Species: Chinese/Western Dragon Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Night black with a royal purple underbelly.
  • Height: Over 7'8.
  • Weight: 300-365 pounds.
  • Build: Muscular build and a fairly curvy body.
  • Currently: Feeling confident.
Re: Ruminations on a Minecraft Sequel
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
Hm. As interesting as a Minecraft sequel sounds, I think that they are just going to continue updating Minecraft, rather than take time to create a sequel. I do like the idea of a sequel to Minecraft, and there's a few things I want added as well. But still, I don't see it happening.

I really like the idea of making new items through the furnace! That would be number one on my list of wanted items for a sequel.

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 01:44:16 AM »
Yeah, I don't think there's likely to be a sequel in the near future. This is mostly just a mental exercise/exorcism on my part. I'd like to hear your ideas, is you want to share them.

In the mean time, here's the first part where I start to get into specifics of what I'd change:

Minecraft 2 Stone

Problem:

The choices of types of stone in Minecraft leave something to be desired, and the fact that most of them are purely decorative detracts from gameplay possibilities.

That some types of stone are so specific (like andesite and diorite), makes it incongruous that most of the stone in the game is generic "stone."

That andesite and diorite are so similar in real-world composition, in-game appearance, and in-game utility, and that there is a generic stone type not specified as any real-world or fantastical material, with two forms that differ little in appearance or utility, detract from the variety and aesthetics of gameplay, and from the game's ability to create an immersive, realistic world.

That most types of stone cannot be used to make tools, fences, stairs, or even slabs, detracts from the variety and aesthetics of gameplay, as well as from immersion.

Solution:

To better represent a realistic diversity of minerals, I propose that six basic stone types should be included, two igneous rocks (granite and basalt), two sedimentary rocks (limestone and sandstone), and two metamorphic rocks (marble and slate). I believe these choices would improve immersion and educational value.

This is the same number of basic stone types as the original (stone, andesite, diorite, granite, sandstone, red sandstone), and so will not affect the inventory system, yet represents a wider and more natural variety of materials.

All six should be usable in crafting tools and weapons, with the choice of stone affecting the appearance and properties of the finished object. Since tools do not stack, this will not affect the inventory system, but will add variety and depth to gameplay.

All six should also be craftable into slabs and stairs. This will add clutter to the inventory system, but improve variety and aesthetics of gameplay.

Offline Solomon the Solitary

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Subtle but bold.
    • Awards
  • Species: Chinese/Western Dragon Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Night black with a royal purple underbelly.
  • Height: Over 7'8.
  • Weight: 300-365 pounds.
  • Build: Muscular build and a fairly curvy body.
  • Currently: Feeling confident.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:08:51 AM »
Hm. Well, I do have a few ideas for how I'd like Minecraft to shape in the future (possibly).

- Thin dividers for walls. Kind of like window panes in game but for walls so I could have smaller house space while having hallways.
- Better potions/enchanting, or at least making it a bigger part of the game.
- Gold Golems.
- Being able to plug in controllers to play! I need this.

That's all for now. I'd have to play more vanilla Craft to figure anymore out.

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 03:52:35 AM »
I think you'll like my idea for improving enchanting. And now that I'm thinking about magic, being able to craft magic wands would be awesome. Maybe I'll do a writeup on that at some point. In the mean time: wood!

Minecraft 2 Lumber

Problem:

The choices of tree types in Minecraft leave something to be desired, and the many types of lumber that differ very little in terms of appearance and not at all in terms of utility clutter the inventory system unnecessarily.

Including both oak and dark oak instead of oak and some other type of tree misses an opportunity for increased environmental diversity.

That most trees are identified as real-world types makes the inclusion of generically named "jungle trees" stand out in a bad way.

Apples don't grow on oak trees.

Solution:

To increase environmental diversity while decluttering the inventory, multiple types of trees who's wood has similar properties in real life should produce the same kinds of wood in-game.

Acacia trees, apple trees, birch trees, oak trees, and palm trees, will all produce hardwood logs and hardwood planks. Cypress trees and pine trees will both produce softwood logs and softwood planks. Ebony trees, sequoia trees, and yew trees will each produce logs and planks unique to their type.

Thus we go from six trees producing six types of lumber and associated products (stairs, slabs, fences, etc.), to ten types of trees producing five types of lumber and associated products. This adds more variety and realism to game environments while decreasing inventory clutter, improving educational value, and maintaining aesthetic variety (yew wood is light, ebony is dark, sequoia is reddish, hardwood and softwood are shades of brown).

All types of wood should be usable to make tools and weapons, with the choice of wood affecting the appearance and properties of the finished object. Since tools do not stack, this will not affect the inventory system, but will add variety and depth to gameplay.

Instead of trees dropping saplings when harvested, which can be re-planted to grow more trees, they should drop seeds/fruit. There will now be ten types of seeds instead of six types of saplings, which will add inventory clutter, but some of the seeds (apples, acorns, coconuts, persimmons) will have additional uses as food or food ingredients.