The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The resilience of a freefalling desktop PC  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
The resilience of a freefalling desktop PC
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »
That moment when your only PC accidently takes a 5 meters drop, and ends up looking like this:

(Note: I didn't hit it with a hammer, or anything. This was purely the fall)

Sooo... What do I do? Simple... I remove all the internal components, store them, (The Motherboard and graphics card in a sweater, because they were dusty as hell) Order the same case new, online, and drilled all the old components back in it, in a matter so incompetent it would make a qualified person cry in a corner for at least 15 minutes.

A hopeless attempt? I think so too.

My PC, however, (or what was left of it) did not.

It did not give 1/2'a damn...

No reboot/repair, no files lost, nothing...

Internet works, browser works, steam works. You wanna play team fortress 2 on this ex train-wreck?
No problem! Go play team fudging fortress 2...

I actually booted up the game and joined a server. It just worked like it was nobodys business. No preformance drops, no increased loading times. Nothing!

Now, I'm not quite shure how. But this PC from Asia built parts managed to show itself as a prime example of Dutch engineering.

"Never built to last forever. But just does it anyways"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does anyone, who knows a little more about computers, think about this?

Expected results? Or totally surprised?

Quite normal, or something that could never have happened?

I'm curious!

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
Re: The resilience of a freefalling desktop PC
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:27:49 PM »
okay but how did it fall?

Offline Romulan_Furry

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Battle Alert! Go shields up and weapons hot!
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger
  • Coloring: Inverted fur pattern (black with white stripes)
  • Height: 6'7"
  • Weight: 250 lbs
  • Build: Muscular, but not overly so
  • Currently: Trying to find the drive to continue my original work.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 01:13:10 AM »
I confess, I am curious about this, too. How exactly *did* that happen? Was it an accident, or did the computer just decide, "This looks fun!" and jumped out the window?
"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural..." --Darth Sidious

"Being a soldier isn't just following orders - it's following those orders while in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we aren't soldiers anymore; just pieces on a chess board, dying for the wrong reasons." --Unknown

A Klingon wears their emotion on his or her sleeve - when they're happy, you'll hear it; sad, you'll see it; angry, you'll fear it.

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »
How did it fall?

I guess it's the perfect combination of bad luck and clumsiness...

I had just finished cleaning it. When I do that I always leave my window open, soo I can vent all the dust out of the room. Only I accidently tipped it over and it fell straight out of the open window...

guest22811

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 05:56:51 AM »
I don't know if i should be feeling bad for you or laughing so hard right now

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:33:34 AM »
Well, wether or not you laugh is up to you! :P

But since it only costs me about 30 euros to get the thing working again there's really no reason to feel bad!

Besides, I need a replacement sometimes this year, anyway...