The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Need help to start sketching  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Voltra

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Let loose and let the world take you on a journey
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Handsome Goggle Wearing Husky
  • Coloring: Pure white
  • Height: 6"4
  • Weight: 96kg
  • Build: Built
  • Currently: Learning to be a furry and learning to start some sketches
Need help to start sketching
« on: June 04, 2017, 02:26:43 PM »
Hey guys,

Just joined the furry community a couple days ago and have been contemplating on whether I should start to become familiar with creating art like almost 80% other furries. And I just looked through all the art you guys post and was like damn, hell to the yes! But first just some queries before I get right into it because these things arnt really speculated in any tutorial.

• What is the best program to use? (I'm new to art in general)
• This may be stupid but what sensitivity should I have for a mouse?
• Should I start by having a image and try to replicate it or use the basic circles and lines to start?

My over all goal is to create my own fursona but that will come in time with experience I guess. If there is any other tips or anything you could suggest to me it would love it because tbh I need all the help I can get!

Thanks,
Voltra

AUZFURRY
official Australian furries

Offline Malina

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Malina is here and deffo queer
    • Awards
  • Species: Border collie
Re: Need help to start sketching
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 02:35:06 PM »
I like to use vector art more than drawing art personally but I use Inkscape on PC.
If you're thinking about drawing, I've heard good things about Paint Tools Sai as well, or Paint.net which is free. And for those I wouldn't recommend a mouse as it'll just make it 100x harder  :P  drawing tablets will be your best bet (there are some threads about them on here for that)

It's gonna take a while before you find your 'niche' but I'd recommend drawing others' characters in your own style first before attempting your own.

Good luck, pm me if you need anything else !
[/URL]

Offline Fable

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Lil' Leo
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Leopard Gecko and Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: amethyst purple with black
  • Height: 12 inches long from nose to tail tip. Standing height about 9 inches
  • Build: slender and wiry
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: I'm back for a while
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »
• What is the best program to use? (I'm new to art in general)
• This may be stupid but what sensitivity should I have for a mouse?
• Should I start by having a image and try to replicate it or use the basic circles and lines to start?

I use PaintTool Sai and its always worked pretty well for me. If you are looking for a free program FireAlpaca is decent.
like lumix say- using a mouse ends up making things a lot more difficult. finding a starter drawing tablet would be more useful in my opinion.
when learning to draw it might be best to do a little of both. try replicating art that you really like while also learning the basic shapes that make up those drawings.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe
My life flashed before my eyes! it was really boring...
-chicken run
Blood may be thicker than water but that just makes it easier to drown in.
-iLL WiLL PrEss

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
Tbh, it's all up to preference.

Programs
There's no "best", but you have quite a few to choose from. SAI is a popular one, Krita is another one that's getting increasingly popular. You also have Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint, Corel Painter, Manga Studio, Open Canvas etc.

Some of those are free, others cost money. I'd say look around at the various options and see which you come to prefer. Each one are better at some things and worse at other things compared to the others, but none are necessarily hands down "better" than any other.

Sensitivity
Optimally, you want to use a tablet since drawing with a mouse is ... I guess you could but I don't know anyone that would actually recommend it. It just makes it so much harder to control and make accurate lines. It's probably actually better to try sketching with pencil on paper and then use a camera or scanner to get it onto your computer than to use a mouse.

If you insist on trying with a mouse, there's no right or wrong sensitivity, just use whatever feels the most comfortable and change it if it doesn't feel good.

Starting
Why not both? Again, find what works best for you and don't be afraid to look up tutorials and guides on how to draw various things. The important thing is not necessarily what you're drawing so long you frequently practice to improve your technique.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:20:38 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 05:21:58 PM »
If you're relatively new to drawing, I'd suggest starting with physical media, i.e. pencils and paper. It's MUCH easier to draw with a pencil than with a mouse, and the skills of physical drawing will transfer to any other medium you choose.

I also suggest looking up photos of animals and sketching them, focussing on finding the simple shapes that make them up. Studying real animals is invaluable when learning to draw furries.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 05:34:47 PM »
I suggest not using a mouse and to start with pencils and paper.  As the software will add more complexity to it that can become overbearing.  When you are happy with your drawings there, I would suggest getting a drawing tablet.  As for the program you use, that ends up being a preference on the user.  I use ArtRage.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Voltra

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Let loose and let the world take you on a journey
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Handsome Goggle Wearing Husky
  • Coloring: Pure white
  • Height: 6"4
  • Weight: 96kg
  • Build: Built
  • Currently: Learning to be a furry and learning to start some sketches
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 11:59:56 PM »
Hot damn so much help!

Thank you guys so much! I'll head over to officeworks later and try to pick up a pad to start, haha I was questioning myself if a mouse or pad was better but makes so much more sense that the pad would be better as you're pretty drawing. I'll also give drawing a go but never been good at pencil to paper but the best thing about starting is there's only one way to improve, practice.

As far as the software goes I'll be sure to give the free ones ago and if they don't click I'll try the payed versions/look up videos of em.3

To start off I might try to replicate as tbh I have no idea how to draw defining features of a specific species (a fox has a narrow snout and so on).

Just thanks again to everyone! I really appreciate it and hopefully you'll be loving the art I'll be bringing out in time with more experience under my belt!

Have a good day,
Voltra

AUZFURRY
official Australian furries