The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with pricing?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
Help with pricing?
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:31:24 AM »
Hello!! I think I may be ready to start charging for art (I've been doing freebies for about two years now). What do you think would be a fair price to start? Of course I won't be asking for much as there's still a lot I need to learn, but for right now I've been doing headshots, busts and realistic drawings. I do realism better, but there's not many people who like black/white realistic art, so I've been attempting my hand at more mainstream anthro XD I appreciate any feedback!
Reference poses, if used, come from http://senshistock.deviantart.com/, sometimes mixed with a few different poses, and animal-specific references come from https://www.flickr.com/photos/yathin, used with permission. Characters and pets belong to their respective owners.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:41:26 AM by Nori »

Offline Fable

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Lil' Leo
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Leopard Gecko and Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: amethyst purple with black
  • Height: 12 inches long from nose to tail tip. Standing height about 9 inches
  • Build: slender and wiry
  • Currently: I'm back for a while
Re: Help with pricing?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:41:44 AM »
(I can't help with pricing- but wanted to leave a comment)

Just wanted to say I love your drawings they look awesome (especially that panda ^u^)
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe
My life flashed before my eyes! it was really boring...
-chicken run
Blood may be thicker than water but that just makes it easier to drown in.
-iLL WiLL PrEss

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
(I can't help with pricing- but wanted to leave a comment)

Just wanted to say I love your drawings they look awesome (especially that panda ^u^)
Aww thank you!!! My inking pen took a beating with that lol

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Build: Normal
  • Currently: I wanna learn to code dammit x3
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
Hey ^^

They look all very cool although I feel you can't charge more than 15$ for the color and the reason is it's not digitally colored. I personally feel digital coloring would be much much better ^_^ and if you did the same sketches but coloring them digitally I would say you could get around 25-30$ The plain sketches with very simple shadowing (like that dragon you have) I feel you can go up to 8-12$ . The wolf you have and the two puppies at the end with the extra detailed shadowing these can kinda go for 15-17$ ^^ .

Now I might be undervaluing your work and if I do I am sorry ^^; it's not meant as an insult I am just stating how much I would have payed for something like this..

Also I went to your dA page and read the greek translation and it has a couple of errors ^^; . Greek is my main language so I was wondering maybe I can fix a couple of mistakes? ^^

ANYWAYS sorry for the long post! I really love your work and keep this up because honestly you are very good at drawing! ^__^
  • Avatar by: Nana (from furry amino)
  • Signature art by: Fable

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »
I saw this earlier, but I had to think of a response... I think I got one now x3

Before I continue, I do feel I should go against what Vortex wrote about charging more if something is digitally coloured :P  I've seen some works that were digital while the traditional was much nicer looking. Besides, you also need to pay for material costs when working traditionally. Of course when you draw digitally you have to pay for the electric bills, but arguably some traditional media can be more expensive in the long-run as well, so it kind of 'cancels' each other out. You can also fix certain mistakes digitally which you cannot do traditionally. For each medium there are pro's and con's, I don't think either should be charged more than the other purely on what the medium is.
The reason going against that what was said is moreso to elaborate and to serve as an introduction about what I have noticed about pricing and my personal experience as well as what I've noticed others have said and done.

For some drawing traditional requires more work than digital. For others it's the other way around. It comes down to a few key factors:
  • What is your skill? How good* are you at something? This can be measured rather easily by your progress and development of your art skill and quality if you look back on older artwork. This also has to do with the following point:
  • How much time do you spend on something? A lot of artists I think 'downgrade' their art quite a lot. Not taking into account that by doing so the market of artists becomes low and a lot less 'valuable'. Of course if you spend a lot of time on something and it looks 'bad', you cannot charge a high amount for it either, so this needs to be weighed out.
  • How much would you pay for the artwork you make?
  • How well-known are you? This is a sucky question to answer. I think your artwork should speak for itself. Either people like it or not, but as with everything: You need to know people who know people. It's not just the quality of your work that's important. You need to be good at social-networking (you can do this online and offline, you don't need to have social apps and such but might help). Once your following starts to grow, so does your chances of getting a commission. In combination with your skillset growing you can start raising the prices.

In the end you need to balance out and see what works for you. You can start low and slowly raise the prices. If people keep on commissioning you, then they are happy to pay that for the work you deliver. If they stop after you raised the prices it could be they think you raised it too much (do it in smaller steps if you notice this).
It's judging how your market works and applying changes as necessary :)
Also be very clear and of course a manner of friendliness to your (potential) customers. If you cannot do a certain thing, mention it from the start. One can always make a compromise, usually as the artist getting a possible 'job', you have to kind of lead the project. Especially if the customer is unsure what they want and how it all works. If the customer knows exactly what they want (not usually my experience XD) then that's all good too ;D

A fellow (and very friendly and helpful) artist I stay in touch with made a helpful journal about this too on their deviantArt: Artists STOP and READ.
It might be rather helpful, of course as stated above you need to also build up your curriculum and create a social circle. The more people you know, the more likely it is someone wants to commission you, and the more likely it is they will tell others about your work and thus give you more work, in turn you can raise the price.

* = Being 'good' depends on various factors, such as: How fast are you able to pick up on something? Do you have a defined style which separates you from others? How much time do you spend on something? Do you learn and grow from your past drawings and does your style develop into something more specific, more 'you'? Does your quality of work improve? Etc. etc.

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
  • Height: 6' 00"
  • Weight: 185
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 01:06:35 AM »

HA. Told you, Nori. <3 I'm just gonna leave it at that, because Ventus, you said the exact same thing I told Nori before she even asked. XD I definitely put value on materials and effort and risk that goes into traditional over the save/edit friendly and otherwise simple nature of digital (even though no doubt many do put in a LOT of work and effort, I still always put value in traditional works higher than digital. It's just realistic and logical, plus if you do pursue selling your art, then you'll lose less profit by putting value on your traditional higher than your digital.

You'll do great! I still would happily pay 20~ to 25~ for the little feral Calun you had made me, for it's quality and effort both. I'd have to look more into the "full" size stuff you've done and are working on more, but for the little stuff (and badges) I'd gladly pay around (and a bit over) what I've paid for a couple others.

I saw this earlier, but I had to think of a response... I think I got one now x3

Before I continue, I do feel I should go against what Vortex wrote about charging more if something is digitally coloured :P  I've seen some works that were digital while the traditional was much nicer looking. Besides, you also need to pay for material costs when working traditionally. Of course when you draw digitally you have to pay for the electric bills, but arguably some traditional media can be more expensive in the long-run as well, so it kind of 'cancels' each other out. You can also fix certain mistakes digitally which you cannot do traditionally. For each medium there are pro's and con's, I don't think either should be charged more than the other purely on what the medium is.
The reason going against that what was said is moreso to elaborate and to serve as an introduction about what I have noticed about pricing and my personal experience as well as what I've noticed others have said and done.

For some drawing traditional requires more work than digital. For others it's the other way around. It comes down to a few key factors:
  • What is your skill? How good* are you at something? This can be measured rather easily by your progress and development of your art skill and quality if you look back on older artwork. This also has to do with the following point:
  • How much time do you spend on something? A lot of artists I think 'downgrade' their art quite a lot. Not taking into account that by doing so the market of artists becomes low and a lot less 'valuable'. Of course if you spend a lot of time on something and it looks 'bad', you cannot charge a high amount for it either, so this needs to be weighed out.
  • How much would you pay for the artwork you make?
  • How well-known are you? This is a sucky question to answer. I think your artwork should speak for itself. Either people like it or not, but as with everything: You need to know people who know people. It's not just the quality of your work that's important. You need to be good at social-networking (you can do this online and offline, you don't need to have social apps and such but might help). Once your following starts to grow, so does your chances of getting a commission. In combination with your skillset growing you can start raising the prices.
In the end you need to balance out and see what works for you. You can start low and slowly raise the prices. If people keep on commissioning you, then they are happy to pay that for the work you deliver. If they stop after you raised the prices it could be they think you raised it too much (do it in smaller steps if you notice this).
It's judging how your market works and applying changes as necessary :)
Also be very clear and of course a manner of friendliness to your (potential) customers. If you cannot do a certain thing, mention it from the start. One can always make a compromise, usually as the artist getting a possible 'job', you have to kind of lead the project. Especially if the customer is unsure what they want and how it all works. If the customer knows exactly what they want (not usually my experience XD ) then that's all good too ;D

A fellow (and very friendly and helpful) artist I stay in touch with made a helpful journal about this too on their deviantArt: Artists STOP and READ.
It might be rather helpful, of course as stated above you need to also build up your curriculum and create a social circle. The more people you know, the more likely it is someone wants to commission you, and the more likely it is they will tell others about your work and thus give you more work, in turn you can raise the price.

* = Being 'good' depends on various factors, such as: How fast are you able to pick up on something? Do you have a defined style which separates you from others? How much time do you spend on something? Do you learn and grow from your past drawings and does your style develop into something more specific, more 'you'? Does your quality of work improve? Etc. etc.
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys <3 I won't be charging for a while, I opened up a few free ones on facebook, and a few people didn't like them even if they approved the sketch, or didn't want them shipped despite offering free shipping (a few said yes to shipping initially, then changed their mind after I sent them the final image). But I've still gotten quite a few done!

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
Ah, now you're coming into my domain.
The pricing depends on what your strategy is: do you want to deliver high-end quality or do you want to start at entry level prices to get as much of comissions as you can get?

guest22811

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 09:36:34 AM »
Very interesting art style :0 It looks so cute aaaggh
I absolutely love that dragon with the top hat! (is that Argarth? Yep thats argarth)

I would go for anywhere between 5$-15$.

Also, please calculate how long it takes you to do one of these  :S  . You don't want to be getting paid minimum wage (first mistake I did when I was doing fursuit commissions)

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
It takes me about 15-30 minutes to do the sketch/lineart, then anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to color. <3 The realistic ones take around 3 hours total, depending on if the pose and shapes come to me or not. I just am wondering what it looks to be <3 I'm not worried about per hour, maybe once I get more consistent, but for right now it would just be a side thing <3 I'd love to do high-quality work, but I don't feel I'm in a position to actually pull it off. I appreciate all your input <2

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
If you might need financial advice in the future, don't hesistate to contact me