The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum Habit/Addictions?  (Read 770 times)

Offline ?

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Poster
  • Evolution Pokémon
    • Awards
  • Species: eevee
  • Height: 1'
  • Weight: 14.1 lbs
  • Currently: ^v^
Forum Habit/Addictions?
« on: April 08, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »
I believe I have been developing a pretty strong Habit/Addition on the Forums over my time here, it's very odd and I not fully sure what to do, I don't have a desire to quit but I still want to moderate and combat it a bit.  I'll try to kinda explain some of the issues,  one, is with posting habits, now of days it seems for some topics, I always have the compulsion to engage whenever I see activity in quite a few topics and have a urge to get the last post in a way, ( probably shows  XD  ) and two it seems my mind always have to be updated on the Forums, even when I go out.  I'll pull out my phone quite a bit and refresh it over and over when heading out and when I'm at home I have it auto looping.  There will be many times when I have a desire to do a different activity but I will usually be tempted and pulled back into posting at the sight of activity in certain places or be really focused in on looking at the activity at least and not so much on said activity. I'm not sure what the issue is, if it's maybe some kind of attention issue here or some other thing causing it but I just want to figure it all out.  ( Sorry if some stuff is off, wrote this at like 2:30 AM )   Thank you for any advice and such  ^_^

here is a  skype DM with me talking to someone about it, in case what I wrote above came out all weird

Spoiler for Hidden:
yea I don't plan to quit but I definitely need to figure out things.  I'm just not sure why my mind think it  needs to have the last response on all those topics in such a fast manner,  that's one big thing.  If I can get past that whole thing, would be much better. I don't know if it's like some issue with attention for me, it's very weird.  I know that will probably be hard to break addiction, would like to be able to enjoy Forums without all the stress when I want to do other stuff and forum is active.  Will definitely need a bit of help and stuff, maybe make a thread about it.
Everything comes from nothing
Everything is something
So just let it all keep happening

Don't be a means to someone's end
It's all just beginning why can't we extend
An invitation to every hand

All hands can clap
All hearts are beating equally
The pulls of the air we're breathing

If we can believe in one part of it
Then we can believe in all of it
So don't stop
Don't stop the party

Offline Firox

• I is very friendly! No worries
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • (still reply to my other sonas, in signature)
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox *Flareon*
  • Coloring: Main fur red, do have fluffy yellow fur on head tuft, mane, and tail, dark red inside ears
  • Height: 3ft / 91 cm, lenght: 3ft 6in / 106cm, tail: 3ft 6in / 105cm
  • Weight: 38 lbs / 17kg
  • Build: playful, caring, competitive
  • Currently: friendly and full of fun - love chocolate chip cookies!
Re: Forum Habit/Addictions?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:59:46 AM »
I has the same addiction, hope some advice does help
that urge of being the last one to reply

I know by now it isn't true, before I believed that if I wasn't the last to reply, I felt like I was ignoring topic.

I tried taking a short break at times, even when trying to do something else, I keep coming back to reply, like with Vee - also have the forums on auto-refresh when it goes offline, as soon as the forums return back to replying
By now I'm behind on about 5 arts (one of them is Michen, sowwy when you see this topic) I haven't practiced, haven't done much in almost 4 months, main reason is coming here to have good time

Even affecting me at work
before work, and after work - I check TFF
lunch and breaks, first thing I do is check on TFF
when I think I'm along in the backstock room, and I think I'm alone with no cameras watching I check TFF - I know I will get caught one day

it's been such a hard habit/addiction to break

so I know good advice will also help me as well
Info on my sona
Vay, female, Vaporeon, New York CIty, New York
Joseph, male, Jolteon, Kansas City, Missouri
Aaron, male, Flareon, McMinnville, Oregon
Arval, male, Umbreon,  San Francisco, California
Jyo, male, Espeon, Seattle, Washington
Linette, female, Leafeon, Biloxi, Mississippi
Grace, female, Glaceon, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sherrie, female, Sylveon, Las Vegas, Nevada

8 opposite gender mates:
Leonardo, male, Vaporeon, Venice, Italy
Robyn, female, Jolteon, Bridgetown, Barbados
Fleur, female, Flareon, Marseille, France
Aycan, female, Umbreon, Istanbul, turkey
Elise, female, Espeon, Basseterre, St. Kitts-Nevis
Zoran, male, Leafeon, Velez, North Macedonia
Florian, male, Glaceon, Craiova, Romania
Seth, male, Sylveon, Ashgabath, Turkmenistan

My other supporting sonas:
Charlene - Bobby - Marrie - Milo - Vanessa - Zoey - Jeremy -Yana - Kumar - Francine - Rorch - Marvinne - Darsha

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Most Online
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »
While I don't really know what to say about the rest, but I will suggest turning off the auto-refresh you described as a place to start.

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
I will just have to become mean so you don't want to post here with me around. 

Just Kidding.  ^_^
Spoiler for Hidden:

But turn off the auto-refresh.  When you want to check the site you will make it a manual decision to check the site.  So if you are doing something else you can limit the distraction.  Remember that with message boards, your message is not lost.  If you post something, someone can look at it in a few minutes to a few hours to a few days depending on the topic. 

If you think it is an attention thing, try to do conversations with friends that you made here.  So, when you still want to talk to someone you can message them rather than hit the forum.

I got addicted to another message board once.  I still go there, but after something happened to me and I figured out that many of the folks that claimed to be my friends there did not respond or care, it gave me thought on my behavior.  I hope nothing like that happens to you.

This is all I got right now.  If I think of others, I will let you know.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 04:12:46 PM »
MY suggestion is turn off auto refresh and stay off TFF for a day or two. I had this problem once, and taking a short break like that really, really helped me

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »
A few suggestions :)

-Turn off auto-fresh.
-Schedule in when you check the forums (even plan your free time if need be).
-Realise the forums will still be here when you go, as well as your friends and the topics/posts ;)
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »
Realise the forums will still be here when you go, as well as your friends and the topics/posts ;)
Very, very important. For me, that's what I'd tell myself whenever I wanted to check it because it's true, no one will be upset if a reply takes a little bit.

Offline ?

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Poster
  • Evolution Pokémon
    • Awards
  • Species: eevee
  • Height: 1'
  • Weight: 14.1 lbs
  • Currently: ^v^
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
Thank you all for the advice, I'll keep it all in mind.  ^_^   

I suppose another thing was the feeling of falling behind and getting buried in a sense that my mind was having, but I think I'm figuring out how to combat that, hopefully.
Everything comes from nothing
Everything is something
So just let it all keep happening

Don't be a means to someone's end
It's all just beginning why can't we extend
An invitation to every hand

All hands can clap
All hearts are beating equally
The pulls of the air we're breathing

If we can believe in one part of it
Then we can believe in all of it
So don't stop
Don't stop the party

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »
When I came back, I felt a little overwhelmed with all the replies I HAD to do. I picked some I saw as most important and knocked them out immediately. Then went and did some other stuff. Once I was ready for a break from my college stuff, I did a bit more TFF. Seemed to work well for me

Offline Firox

• I is very friendly! No worries
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • (still reply to my other sonas, in signature)
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox *Flareon*
  • Coloring: Main fur red, do have fluffy yellow fur on head tuft, mane, and tail, dark red inside ears
  • Height: 3ft / 91 cm, lenght: 3ft 6in / 106cm, tail: 3ft 6in / 105cm
  • Weight: 38 lbs / 17kg
  • Build: playful, caring, competitive
  • Currently: friendly and full of fun - love chocolate chip cookies!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 06:08:45 PM »
Some look helpful.
Staying off for more than one day is too much.
Info on my sona
Vay, female, Vaporeon, New York CIty, New York
Joseph, male, Jolteon, Kansas City, Missouri
Aaron, male, Flareon, McMinnville, Oregon
Arval, male, Umbreon,  San Francisco, California
Jyo, male, Espeon, Seattle, Washington
Linette, female, Leafeon, Biloxi, Mississippi
Grace, female, Glaceon, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sherrie, female, Sylveon, Las Vegas, Nevada

8 opposite gender mates:
Leonardo, male, Vaporeon, Venice, Italy
Robyn, female, Jolteon, Bridgetown, Barbados
Fleur, female, Flareon, Marseille, France
Aycan, female, Umbreon, Istanbul, turkey
Elise, female, Espeon, Basseterre, St. Kitts-Nevis
Zoran, male, Leafeon, Velez, North Macedonia
Florian, male, Glaceon, Craiova, Romania
Seth, male, Sylveon, Ashgabath, Turkmenistan

My other supporting sonas:
Charlene - Bobby - Marrie - Milo - Vanessa - Zoey - Jeremy -Yana - Kumar - Francine - Rorch - Marvinne - Darsha