The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mistakes within the community  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
Mistakes within the community
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »

Hello, folks.  :D
I have seen many mistakes which are happen to be spread around. I want to try to help you here and make things clear to prevent any misinformed newcomers.

1) »The wolf is my kin«
I see many members who say something like that recently. Actually, you are the kin. What you mean is “kintype“. The correct sentence would be:“My kintype is a wolf.“

2) »My wolf likes fish and has pure black fur and green eyes. His name is Swiftpaw. He is brave and aggressive.«
You are the wolf, the wolf is you. There is no “my wolf“ (except for those who have a good reason for calling themselves that way) and there is no opportunity to speak to “your kintype“. You can't speak to yourself seperated with different minds and different traits. Those meditations could show your power animal, totems, spirit guide or something similar. And in addition to that, meditations and dreams are very unreliable, easily to manipulate by yourself (without wanting it) and pretty random. Finding out what you really are needs a lot of introspection, researches, knowledge, patience and time.
Also, pure black wolves don't even exist. Such green eyes are not possible for wolves. You can take a look on Google. There you can find great overviews on fur and eyecolor.
A wolf would never try to destroy the humanity, by the way. If they have made a bad experience, they would prevent humans as best as they can. There is no "I hate humans! I want to transform into a wolf and kill them all!", that's stupid and unrealistic.
And guys... isn't “Swiftpaw“ a typical name for every new therian? Be creative! There are so many beautiful names out there.

3) »As an otherkin you need to have a past life.«
 No, please don't do that. 
The right definition of otherkinity is: Identifying as a non-human creature in a non-physical way.
Yes, you can have had a past-life but it isn't necessary and it isn't the right definition. Some don.t even believe in past lifes. They could have psychological reasons then.

4) »I am able to shift physically!«
 One answer: You are not.

Thank you very much for reading. If you still should have questions, feel free to message me or even to comment. 
Have a wonderful day, all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:08:55 PM by Zendaya »

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: Mistakes within the community
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
Oh my gosh, thank you for posting this! XD

I'm to a degree Otherkin/Therian myself and while everyone has their own 'degree', I also find it so odd when people say they can shift physically. Maybe it feels like a physical change, but it's not. The mind is a powerful thing, and I feel a lot quite underestimate how strong their minds are.

I do understand when people say 'my wolf' and such, though. Like I said, for everyone it's different. Some people feel they are the wolf but also see them as a spirit animal, as a way to contact their inner selves. It's them but also 'not them'.
That's just one example, though.

But yes, I agree with what you've said, thanks again :)

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »
Oh my gosh, thank you for posting this! XD

I'm to a degree Otherkin/Therian myself and while everyone has their own 'degree', I also find it so odd when people say they can shift physically. Maybe it feels like a physical change, but it's not. The mind is a powerful thing, and I feel a lot quite underestimate how strong their minds are.

I do understand when people say 'my wolf' and such, though. Like I said, for everyone it's different. Some people feel they are the wolf but also see them as a spirit animal, as a way to contact their inner selves. It's them but also 'not them'.
That's just one example, though.

But yes, I agree with what you've said, thanks again :)

I absolutely understand your point. That's also why I've mentioned "except for those who have a good reason for calling themselves this way" in the bracket.

guest22811

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
I am not therian/otherkin,,, nor do I know how it works...
but

*insert THANK_YOU.gif*
https://giphy.com/gifs/the-office-thank-you-michael-scott-1Z02vuppxP1Pa/

I don't really mind Therian/Otherkin but people who push it to an extent like that makes it (I hate to say this but) cringy.

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 12:58:31 AM »
I am not therian/otherkin,,, nor do I know how it works...
but

*insert THANK_YOU.gif*
https://giphy.com/gifs/the-office-thank-you-michael-scott-1Z02vuppxP1Pa/

I don't really mind Therian/Otherkin but people who push it to an extent like that makes it (I hate to say this but) cringy.

Anytime~
I'm glad that this post is also understood by those who aren't therian/otherkin as well. And yes, you are absolutely right. It's a sad thing.

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • Learning the wisdom of the wolf
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black and grey frosting, generally a Native American feather dangle from one ear.
  • Height: big... a little over 40" at shoulders when 4 footing, over 6' standing
  • Weight: 190 +
  • Build: like a very healthy, active wolf should look!
  • Currently: learning... so much to learn!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 03:38:12 AM »
When I was trying to figure out what was going on within me I was researching Native American lore, etc, and found MANY references to two-spirits, Those who share mind and body with another. This is where I believe a lot of the Therian ideology has it's base, maybe not in Native American, but in the belief that the body can be shared with another spirit. 

This is how I see myself, Naake ni (Apache for Two Spirits, the title is a real thing)... I consider him "My wolf" though he is not a physical embodiment but the wolf within. When he is active I see and interpret things differently, I feel different on a deeper level, and my personality shift to a more aggressive, more dominant (IE: Alpha type) place. Even my mate (my wife) can tell when Naake ni is closer to the surface.

He 'influences' me, not so much with words, but with visual imagery and emotion/feeling, and has led me to go places and experience things that I cannot explain or would have done on my own. 

I am not saying you are wrong for you, but I disagree with your hard and fast statements that tell me that what I feel is not real.
Fuzzpaws the Wolf (temporarily)

(2 spirits, one body, one mind shared by both
Apache's call it Naake ni)

(Avatar artist unknown, will remove if needed)

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »
When I was trying to figure out what was going on within me I was researching Native American lore, etc, and found MANY references to two-spirits, Those who share mind and body with another. This is where I believe a lot of the Therian ideology has it's base, maybe not in Native American, but in the belief that the body can be shared with another spirit. 

This is how I see myself, Naake ni (Apache for Two Spirits, the title is a real thing)... I consider him "My wolf" though he is not a physical embodiment but the wolf within. When he is active I see and interpret things differently, I feel different on a deeper level, and my personality shift to a more aggressive, more dominant (IE: Alpha type) place. Even my mate (my wife) can tell when Naake ni is closer to the surface.

He 'influences' me, not so much with words, but with visual imagery and emotion/feeling, and has led me to go places and experience things that I cannot explain or would have done on my own. 

I am not saying you are wrong for you, but I disagree with your hard and fast statements that tell me that what I feel is not real.

With all due respect, I would never tell someone that his feelings wouldn't be real. You absolutely are free to feel whatever your heart lets you feel. But I try to educate because there are a lot of misinformed beings who try to jump right on the train and just want to be a part of something. Or they truly believe they were a therian because of all that misinformation.

What you explained could also be your totem. It happens very often that people mistake their totem as a theriotype. The bond between the totem and the affected person can be that strong that you can tell about "being melted". You feel phantom shifts, even mental shifts. You still can speak to this animal and they give you bits of advice. They guide you.
This is also possible with your power animal. A power animal gives you their strength and abilities. It's not uncommon that you experience shifts from them.

I don't want to tell you that you aren't true or something. As said, I just want to help and educate.

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • Learning the wisdom of the wolf
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black and grey frosting, generally a Native American feather dangle from one ear.
  • Height: big... a little over 40" at shoulders when 4 footing, over 6' standing
  • Weight: 190 +
  • Build: like a very healthy, active wolf should look!
  • Currently: learning... so much to learn!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »
I need to do more research.. Thought therian and Totem were basically the same thing, thank you for pointing out they are not, so much.

Will be busy for a while...  :3
Fuzzpaws the Wolf (temporarily)

(2 spirits, one body, one mind shared by both
Apache's call it Naake ni)

(Avatar artist unknown, will remove if needed)

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
Anytime! I'm glad I could help. Whenever you should need something, feel free to message me.

Offline Thagrahn

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger and Lynx
  • Coloring: White and Black; Grey, Tan, and White
  • Height: 5' 4"; 5' 0"
  • Weight: 135 lb; 107 lb
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 04:45:08 AM »
Anytime! I'm glad I could help. Whenever you should need something, feel free to message me.

I just see the mistake being the they don't realize which role is the act, and that the Otherkin side is not an act but their true self.

I'm actually a little worried about how much shifting I do, because it's a shift of who is predominate lately. I can wake up feeling like the Lynx, then the Tiger, then the shifting can end, and at the end of the day feel like a House Cat, an Finally feel the Jaguar just before I fall asleep.
I am Thagarhn, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »
I understand. :)
Have you ever considered being a cladotherian? A cladotherian identifies as a whole clade of animals - in your case felines. Does it sound like you?

Offline Thagrahn

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger and Lynx
  • Coloring: White and Black; Grey, Tan, and White
  • Height: 5' 4"; 5' 0"
  • Weight: 135 lb; 107 lb
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »
Cladotherian is a possibility, but until I can find some more info on that I just identify as having Feline as my kintype.
I am Thagarhn, nothing more, nothing less.