The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Basic Profile Customisation Guide  (Read 8948 times)

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Basic Profile Customisation Guide
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
Welcome to The Furry Forums! ^_^
This is about your 'basic' profile information. Now some might have already figured this out, but this guide is for those who haven't ^^
I posted this topic here because it has to do with these forums and every member directly. It also might be a nice hub for people who are new to the forums as well. Feel free to comment if you have anything to say or have any questions :)

For a step further and specific Ultimate Profile Customisation questions and tutorials, check out this link: An awesome guide made by Zarconite.

There is more information regarding profile (and signature) in the Rules. The Rules can be found here:
https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?page=rules
Please read them :)

First go to:
Profile > Forum Profile

Then you will see the following information with each their own boxes to fill in.

"Personalized Picture"
Here you can choose a picture for your avatar, either by uploading a picture or link to a URL. Be sure to make use of artwork you are allowed to use. Either use artwork you made yourself, artwork someone made for you specifically, or use free-to-use artwork.
Be sure to give proper credit* to the original artist, photographer or creator.

* = At the bottom of the Forum Profile settings is the option to write/link to credit the artist. This will be addressed further below in this post.

"Personalized Text"
Fill in some personalised text here and it will show under your avatar along with other information when you post.
My personalised text is "The dragon caretaker", you can see it below the amount of posts a member has and their gender (if they selected this option).

Birthdate - Location - Gender"
Birthdate: Leave this empty if you don't want anyone to know of your birthdate. If you fill it in it will show up on your profile.
Location: Leave this empty if you don't want anyone to know of your location. If you fill it in (a real location or a fictive one) it will show on your profile.
Gender: You can select what gender you are. This will show up under your avatar picture when you post (above your personalised text if you have filled this in).

"ICQ - AIM - MSN - YIM"
Speaks for itself. You can fill these in if you have them and for others to connect with you.
These will show up on your profile.

"Signature - Signature Preview"
Signature: Fill this box out and it is displayed at the bottom of your posts. It also will show on your profile You can use BBCode and smileys as well to stylise your signature.
Use images in your signature no greater than 500x150 pixels, otherwise the images will be downsized to 500x150 pixels if they are larger.
Signature Preview: Click this to 'preview' the signature. (However, keep in mind when you do so it will change the signature in your posts immediately as well.)

"Website Title - Website URL"
Website Title: Name the website you're providing a link to.
Website URL: Post a link here to a website.
This will be displayed on your profile.

"Skype - Steam - FurAffinity - DeviantArt"
Fill in your Skype username / Steam ID / FurAffinity username / deviantArt username and it will show on your profile as well as under your avatar in posts. Automatically a link will be created to your accounts.
Do not fill in the entire website link in these boxes: It will not work. Just your username will work :)

Note for Steam ID:
Just one thing I wanted add, for steam accounts make sure your using a custom id if your not already as the long digit default id you get from the start doesn't really work from what I've seen.  ^_^

Steam -> Community -> Edit profile -> find custom URL field

"Species - Coloring - Markings - Height - Weight - Build - Clothing - Weapons - Reference"
In these boxes fill in any information regarding you/your fursona. BBCode is enabled with most of these, so you can also post a URL to any references. E.g. if you have drawn clothing or a weapon design for your fursona, you can link it in these boxes.
This information will be shown on your profile and under your avatar in posts.

"Mate - Owner - Pets"
Mention in these boxes if you have anyone you are in a relationship with, are a pet or an owner to someone else.
You can write a name or link to someone. BBCode is also enabled with these, so if you want to link to someone (for example someone on the forums), you can fill in:
Code: [Select]
[url=website link to profile]Username[/url]
This will show on your profile.

"Avatar made by - Signature image(s) made by"
Here you can fill in the name of (and preferably link to) the original artist and/or link to the original artwork. If you made the artwork yourself, you can credit yourself :P
Be sure to give credit, it's kind to the artist to do so!
This information will be shown at the bottom of your posts and on your profile.

"Currently"
This is similar to Personalized Text, however, the text is shown in orange and is moreso meant to be used to describe one's mood, status, what they are doing.

Good luck with setting up your profile!
~Ventus out~

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:21:38 PM by Ventus Fall »
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Naval

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online
  • *Sounds of crunching seashells*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Garthim
  • Coloring: Oynx with shine over the exoskeleton, muddy brown hairs, with royal purple eyes.
  • Height: 6.7ft
  • Weight: 270lbs
  • Build: Bulky and bumpy, with a top heavy build.
  • Currently: Looking for a crystal... maybe one that has a darker color.
Re: Basic Profile Customisation Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
Thanks! This will help a lot!
  • Avatar by: A picture from Google.
You know the greatest thing I can feel, is the feeling that when I have helped someone. That memory and act of kindness helps to mold them into something great. That thought, that feeling can't be beat. - This guy.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »
No problem, glad it helped :3

Offline ?

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Most Online
  • Evolution Pokémon
    • Awards
  • Species: eevee
  • Height: 1'
  • Weight: 14.1 lbs
  • Currently: ^v^
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 02:27:54 AM »
This is really helpful indeed   :P

Just one thing I wanted add, for steam accounts make sure your using a custom id if your not already as the long digit default id you get from the start doesn't really work from what I've seen.  ^_^

Everything comes from nothing
Everything is something
So just let it all keep happening

Don't be a means to someone's end
It's all just beginning why can't we extend
An invitation to every hand

All hands can clap
All hearts are beating equally
The pulls of the air we're breathing

If we can believe in one part of it
Then we can believe in all of it
So don't stop
Don't stop the party

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:20:15 PM »
This is really helpful indeed   :P

Sounds good! I'll add that under the Steam thingey now :3
Thanks!