The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice on pricing?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline clAwful

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cabbit
Advice on pricing?
« on: January 06, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
I'm not sure how much my art is worth, if worth anything at all. I want to start making adoptables, but I'm not sure whether I should just go back to practicing or pursue drawing for charge. Don't be afraid to be honest!

This is a two-headed bull character I made today. Please, tell me what you think based off of hims. (had to downgrade the resolution to fit the attachment restrictions)
Thank you  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:37:42 PM by clAwful »

Offline Fable

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Lil' Leo
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Leopard Gecko and Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: amethyst purple with black
  • Height: 12 inches long from nose to tail tip. Standing height about 9 inches
  • Build: slender and wiry
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: I'm back for a while
Re: Advice on pricing?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »
It is really really cute!
I think you should definitely put your art out there for adopt if you want to because its really good!
(but i don't know what kind of price. I'm no good at pricing things)
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe
My life flashed before my eyes! it was really boring...
-chicken run
Blood may be thicker than water but that just makes it easier to drown in.
-iLL WiLL PrEss

Offline clAwful

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:48:45 PM »
It is really really cute!
I think you should definitely put your art out there for adopt if you want to because its really good!
(but i don't know what kind of price. I'm no good at pricing things)

Aww, thanks!
I understand; being bad at pricing things is exactly why I'm asking other people  XP .

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »
I think your art is looking great! Besides, people sell artwork of any skill level.
As for price, it's hard to say. You need to show your face around a lot, post a lot of artwork, show you actually draw commissions. People need to get to know you and your art. The more that happens, the more likely you can sell you artwork for more and more.
Don't undersell yourself, but don't oversell either. It's about trying things out and see where it gets you :)
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Dr. Alka Wolf

• Contemplation, across the nation
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Always willing to help out.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Generally grey with black hair
  • Height: 1.8 meters
  • Weight: 75kg
  • Build: Fair build, not very muscular, not very fat and not overly skinny either
  • Currently: Looking for RP, but remembering I live in the future
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
Art pricing is actually quite simple.

There are three ways to judge how you should price your art: Quality, Complexity and History.

Quality - Get some opinions of your artwork before you start selling it to see what people think of it. If people love it enough, you can probably charge a higher price for your artwork, so long as you can provide some just for show.

Complexity - No matter how good of a red cube someone might draw, I'm not paying $20 for a single red cube. The more complex your artwork becomes (e.g More colours, more details, etc.) the more you should charge for it, simply because it would take more time.

History - People are more willing to pay higher for an artist they can rely on. If you've got a solid backing behind you, raising the price a little to make more of a living off of it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I recommend going to to places such as Furaffinity where there are plenty of people who sell their artwork and see what prices there are. It'll come down to experience and experimentation, but here is a generally good rule-of-thumb; People pay more for cheaper things :P
  • Signature art by: Cinder42, Zarconite(+myself)
"Blackness. Lots and lots of blackness. When it's all you ever see, it makes even the smallest spark of light stand out"

Reference of Alka

Al's Weapon References \\\\\ Al's badass mask x3 \\\\\ Reference of Al

Gaia's Song List \\\\\ Reference of Gaia

Offline Figment

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Draco Occidentalis
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
There's always a fine line between what you should ask and what people want to pay for art. A good starting point would be.. 'how long does it take me to do this? and how much is the minimum wage were I live?'

Then concider another thing... are you trying to live off of this? or is this just for a bit of extra cash? because if you're trying to live off of it, you'd be better off getting a job stocking shelves at minimum wage if you go for a price thats lower then hours worked times minimum wage.

If you're just starting out and you're not trying to live off of your art (which is a bad idea anyway if you're starting out) I'd never go lower then half the minimum wage per hour...

So let say the minimum wage in your country is $10 and that drawing took you 2 hours, now $20 would not be unreasonable to ask for it.. but people don't know you yet, so attracting people with a lower price would be a good start.. but you shouldn't over do it.. so that'd mean $10 or $15 would be a better price at that point. Then as you get more popular, slowly increase your price over 6 month intervals.

doing Your Character Here Auctions if also a great way to determine how much people are willing to pay for your art.

I hope that helped you out some :P

Offline clAwful

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 03:41:43 AM »
Thank you everyone for the helpful advice!
I've decided to start off with auctions on FA, and if no one is interested no harm no foul, I suppose  XP