The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ready to start practicing (advice/tips/suggestions?)  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
  • Height: 6' 00"
  • Weight: 185
  • Reference: [link]
Ready to start practicing (advice/tips/suggestions?)
« on: July 27, 2016, 01:40:32 AM »
Hey folks! So, besides random things (aquatic life, and other weird random things, like Pokemon) I've really never been terribly varied with my ability to draw. I picked up a new sketch/drawing pad today, with the purpose of specifically practicing and learning anthro art. Granted, it's still for fun than anything, but I'm really hoping to get more proficient with my ability to draw, at least with anthro art.

I know this is kind of a common question/topic/thread, but are there any videos or tips any of you more seasoned artists could offer?

My opinion on art is that everyone should explore and learn for themselves, so that they can grow and work out their own style and approach, which brings a beautiful variety to the world. ---- BUT, that being said, I also know that it is important to learn from one another.

Therefore, if you can offer any tips, or maybe a good video to follow that might provide insight into the general approaches to drawing anthros, I would truly appreciate it!

If it helps, my first real piece I want to draw is chibi-esque, so getting a masterful and well proportioned masterpiece is not yet on my agenda!  XD

Thanks for taking the time to read this, friends!
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline PossumDeMort

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Equal Oppertunity Romantic
    • Awards
  • Species: Possum
  • Currently: Lurking...
Re: Ready to start practicing (advice/tips/suggestions?)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:51:03 AM »
Totes life drawing  doesn't  matter what or who, draw things you see, it activates the part of your brain  dealing with depth, helps overall.

Keep at it no matter  how bad you think it is

Offline John Red Beard

• Local Moderator
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:26:22 AM »
I don't know what your skill & knowledge level is, so I apologize if this is something you already know:

When you're drawing, try to break the thing your drawing down into simple shapes and lightly sketch those first before you start working on details and subtleties. That will help you work out the proportions, overall shapes, and composition before getting too far into the drawing to fix any of that.

Also, it'll help teach you to see shapes and their relationships. My belief is that drawing is all about seeing. What goes on with pencils and pens and paper, that's secondary.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
  • Height: 6' 00"
  • Weight: 185
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 02:55:15 AM »
I gotcha. Mostly doodles, really. I've sketched random things, and painted, but not actual drawing like you see on art sites like FA or DA. So it does help! And the shapes are drawn very lightly since they're essentially the guiding under layer, right? Kind of like how those little wooden poseable guys they sell are used for reference?

I like your explanation. It makes sense.

I don't know what your skill & knowledge level is, so I apologize if this is something you already know:

When you're drawing, try to break the thing your drawing down into simple shapes and lightly sketch those first before you start working on details and subtleties. That will help you work out the proportions, overall shapes, and composition before getting too far into the drawing to fix any of that.

Also, it'll help teach you to see shapes and their relationships. My belief is that drawing is all about seeing. What goes on with pencils and pens and paper, that's secondary.

Post Merge: July 27, 2016, 02:57:05 AM
Totes life drawing  doesn't  matter what or who, draw things you see, it activates the part of your brain  dealing with depth, helps overall.

Keep at it no matter  how bad you think it is

Haha, cool. I like that. I was planning on using my old notebook with lined paper for practicing different attempts at getting better, before using the white drawing book for actual attempts at true drawings.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:57:05 AM by Vampyrum, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline John Red Beard

• Local Moderator
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 04:03:55 AM »
And the shapes are drawn very lightly since they're essentially the guiding under layer, right?
Exactly. And so they're easy to change.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

sha-draw

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:45:17 AM »
This will sounds silly but: don't rush! Take the time to think every single stroke through, and what it will or won't so for your drawing. One thing many artists do without even realizing it is sketch quickly. You have all the time in the world, so relax and walk through your drawing carefully, step by step.