Author Topic: New Rules!  (Read 7205 times)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
New Rules!
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:39:35 AM »
Hey guys,

So the biggest change of the forum so far is here, we've finally updated the rules of the forum! These new rules are meant to be more clear than the old rules, covering issues that the old rules didn't cover as well as making some old rules more lenient or more strict where appropriate.

I strongly encourage every member to read the new rules in its entirety as a lot of rules have been subtly changed. You can find the new rules here. Don't forget to click on each rule to find out more information!

Because of teething issues and possible things we've missed, the rules are subject to changes over the next few weeks. Any change made to the rules will be posted in this thread, major changes may be posted in a new thread dedicated to that change. The rules are not retroactive, this means that if you made a post before the new rules were announced then your post still runs under the old rules.

Do you like the new rules? Is there something you think we should change? Do they seem more clear to you? Tell us your opinion below!
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: New Rules!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 08:05:15 AM »
Hello Anoni :)

It's nice to see new rules and the like being updated, with the goal of making things clearer.
However, if I may give a bit of feedback?

Here are my pointers right now:

Some of the rules have a bit complicated sentence-build, or grammar. (And there are a few words here and there which I feel personally could have used a more well-known synonym which would be much clearer to the general public/members, but that's my own personal opinion.)
E.g.:
"(...)  do not claim the art as your own and the artist has not made it clear to us or otherwise that they do not want other people using their art."
I'm mostly confused how to read the sentence after 'and'.

Also, using the term 'minors', it would be helpful to know what age exactly defines a minor from an 'adult', as members come from a variety of countries, which each have their own age limit on a variety of subject matters. So, in the end, my question would be: Which country does this forum fall under? What specifics would be important to know about?
Later on, in another rule, I indeed read about the US federal law. However, I would like to see the age for being a minor mentioned somewhere clearly.

"Talking about sex in a purely non-sexual way may be ok, if you are unsure whether a topic is too sexual you can message a moderator before you make the thread."
What do you mean exactly by this? Before it seems the rule states that anything to do with sexual content is not allowed, but then there is an exception. Would it be discussing biology and the like? Seems it could open a potential 'beehive' of issues here. Perhaps moreso left for the adult board, if anything?

"Anthropomorphic characters ARE allowed to be unclothed as long as they are covered by fur/scales/feathers/etc. Any clothing should cover about the same amount of area on the body as a bikini/swimsuit would. In addition to images, discussions on the public forum about having sex, turn-ons, etc. are not appropriate and will be removed."
I think, judging by the rest of the text in the rules, one could state PG-13 instead? I mean, someone could have a Sphynx cat as character, those 'naked cats', but if they are drawn without clothing and showing no anatomically correct features (just as genitalia and the like), then it should be alright, right?
But then I am confused when the rules go on to say that clothing should cover certain parts. I thought before they were allowed to be unclothed? Now I'm confused.

"When reporting to a moderator, only contact one at a time, and let any subsequent mods know who you contacted before them."
Not to be nitpicky, but do you happen to mean: "When messaging/PM'ing a moderator"? As a report, as stated prior in the rules, sends a message to all moderators regardless.

There is also no explanation what it means when one is warned or when one has a certain percentage of Warning Level. Only the more severe statuses are mentioned (like being moderated, etc.). I see warning levels sometimes on other members (which I get mixed messages of: Sometimes it is shown publicly, sometimes not?).
It's not stated that after a while the warning level decreases, which is odd, considering a lot of members have asked about this multiple times in the past how to get rid of the warning level.

Anyways, this is just my personal experience. I hope it helps in some shape or form.

PS: This was just a small thought I had, which I would like to share: It's a lot of rules and if each gets their own thread, that's a lot of threads. Making a new thread for every rule seems really unnecessary, (and not to sound mean, just pointing out what I've witnessed with these announcement threads: ) it's not like these announcements usually get a lot of responses. ^^;
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:09:22 AM by Ventus Fall »
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:23:36 AM »
So to answer some of your questions.

1. Yes actually I recall one of the other mods saying the wording was confusing too so we'll probably change to more appropriate warning.
2. We could mention minors somewhere. Though, legally it represents people under 18, just as it does in the US and almost every country in the world.
3. The rule is there to basically say that saying the word sex won't get you in trouble. For example "Sometimes their just creeps who want to have sex all the time, I don't get those guys" <- Wouldn't be removed, because although it references sex it doesn't actually reference it in a sexual way. Basically, the rule is stating by simply using the word "sex" your post won't be removed, it just depends whether the context of your use is bad. However all the other parts of that rule still apply, so saying you want sex or describing sexual activities will be removed. It's a PG board and saying "sex" in a PG movie doesn't increase it.
4. This rule actually wasn't changed from the old rules. It means if your anthros are nude than they shouldn't show any anatomy, however if they do have anatomy than they shouldn't be nude and their clothes should cover what a bikini would cover.
5. We meant reporting in the most general case, this includes PMing and "report to moderator".
6. We don't want to publicize the exact % points and warning levels, because if we do people can abuse the system. So we keep some information intentionally hidden.
7. I said I'd make a new thread if there was a "Major change" to the rules, this doesn't mean that any time I add a new rule I'll make a new thread. This means a major change, like redoing all the rules or something. As said most changes will be posted in this thread.

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Anoni :)

1) I hope you don't change the rules to a more appropriate warning XD

2) As for mentioning the age of minors, I just had a question I thought of (nothing to do with the rules in particular): Is there an age limit to people joining? Basically, can anyone of all ages join?
I don't interwebs so well at the moment :S

3) Ah, that makes sense!

4) I can't recall exactly how the old rules were, and regardless if it wasn't changed, I thought the point of updating the rules was to make them clearer, more understandable, and less... loop-hole-y   x)
I simply meant to state the rule seemed confusing to me. I didn't and do not differentiate between old and new rules. I just see the rules, as they are currently.

5) Ah, ok.

6) I didn't mean publicising the exact numbers of percentages. I meant the following:
When I -or someone else- gets a warning level, we see a certain percentage. Whether this is shown on their profile or not wasn't the main issue I was trying to point out (because I have seen percentages on members). Rather, there isn't stated in the rules -or the FAQ for that matter- how one's warning level can get decreased.

7) Ok, that makes sense too. I was just afraid from how I read it there would be an overflow of new threads, each referring to a previous one, etc. ^^;
But glad to hear/read that won't be the case.

(Btw, I hope you're ok I mentioned those points. It's just my experience reading the updated rules. )

(PS: I know this is off topic, but I randomly got logged out for some reason too while typing this.)

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 10:24:58 AM »
Did the size limits for images in signatures change? I don't see anyone's signature pictures anymore, mine included.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »
Signature limits have not changed and I see people with images in their signatures. We haven't changed your signature.

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 10:54:59 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Anoni :)
1) I hope you don't change the rules to a more appropriate warning XD
2) As for mentioning the age of minors, I just had a question I thought of (nothing to do with the rules in particular): Is there an age limit to people joining? Basically, can anyone of all ages join?
I don't interwebs so well at the moment :S
3) Ah, that makes sense!
4) I can't recall exactly how the old rules were, and regardless if it wasn't changed, I thought the point of updating the rules was to make them clearer, more understandable, and less... loop-hole-y   x)
I simply meant to state the rule seemed confusing to me. I didn't and do not differentiate between old and new rules. I just see the rules, as they are currently.
5) Ah, ok.
6) I didn't mean publicising the exact numbers of percentages. I meant the following:
When I -or someone else- gets a warning level, we see a certain percentage. Whether this is shown on their profile or not wasn't the main issue I was trying to point out (because I have seen percentages on members). Rather, there isn't stated in the rules -or the FAQ for that matter- how one's warning level can get decreased.
7) Ok, that makes sense too. I was just afraid from how I read it there would be an overflow of new threads, each referring to a previous one, etc. ^^;
But glad to hear/read that won't be the case.
(Btw, I hope you're ok I mentioned those points. It's just my experience reading the updated rules. )

(PS: I know this is off topic, but I randomly got logged out for some reason too while typing this.)
The bare-minimum age a user can make an account on forums/social-networking sites has to be 13 (with parental permission by law in the US). If someone makes an account and is not yet 13, then the person is prevented from accessing the forums until they are at least that age.

As for warnings, they decrease in percentage over time.

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
"When reporting to a moderator, only contact one at a time, and let any subsequent mods know who you contacted before them."

Also on this, I'd like to know if there may be some time frame that I can forward a message to a different staff member. For example, when I messaged Tweak a few days ago about adult area access, it took a couple days for him to sign back in and respond. Which is okay by me, I didn't mind that wait; but if it had been say a week, could I have contacted a different person?

Signature limits have not changed and I see people with images in their signatures. We haven't changed your signature.

Not saying you're lying, at all, but I just cleared all temporary Internet files and cookies and other stuff, reset my computer, logged back in, and I still can't see any signature images. Can anyone else confirm? If it matters... and I hope it doesn't, I use Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10. Everything up to date.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »
I can see signature images, so it may be a problem with a select few users. See if anyone else reports it.

Also the reporting to a moderator thing is mainly more like, if you contact another mod say the mods you've already contacted. Time period can is pretty small, if you don't get a response within a day you can contact another mod (even less if it's an urgent issue) but say the mod you've already contacted.

I am also available to give people access to the adult area.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »

Did the size limits for images in signatures change? I don't see anyone's signature pictures anymore, mine included.
Can anyone else confirm?

Don't worry, ST-84, about others not being able to see your signature image. I see your signature image just fine, and everyone else's. I don't know why you can't see yours.

As for warnings, they decrease in percentage over time.
Hello Vosur :)
I do know this (after reading tickets and talking with a mod about it), but I can't find it mentioned anywhere specifically. For such a thing that many members wonder and still (and will) wonder about, if it's such a common question, why can't I find said answer any place? (Rules, FAQ, or any other place?) If I would be a new member (or an old member) with the knowledge I got a warning level, but without any knowledge on how to get rid of it, then the only option available is to either scouwer the forums to find if someone else already posted the question some place (as a topic or a ticket), or ask it again some place by starting a new topic (or ticket). I've seen this happen several times over the few years I've been on the forums here, and that is simply what I wanted to point out.

The bare-minimum age a user can make an account on forums/social-networking sites has to be 13 (with parental permission by law in the US). If someone makes an account and is not yet 13, then the person is prevented from accessing the forums until they are at least that age.
Ah, ok. See, I don't (didn't) know if that is a general rule over the whole internet or not. I've heard about being 13 years of age before to do internet things, but the age minimum with a variety of things confuses me all around. Some websites, online games, and other forums require a different age minimum (for example: 14 years of age instead of 13, etc.).  :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:25:55 PM by Ventus Fall »

Offline Midnight Madness

• Lucifer 2.0 (Doggo Edition)
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • Absolutely adorable.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lycanroc
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 175 lbs.
  • Build: Very well toned, intimidating despite his average height.
  • Currently: Guess who.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
******* Super sekrit dokuments on lowering warning level ********

1. Don't go on about being warned on the public forums and/or shoutbox

2. If you disagree, maturely discuss it in private with the moderator in question and don't be afraid to bring what they tell you to another moderator.

3. Don't break any other rules

4. Read the rules page after a warning to learn how not to do it again

5. Don't be a dick

****** END SEKRIT DOKUMENT OF SEKRIT *******

Okay but seriously. Warnings only go away over time, there's legitimately no way to just 'eliminate' them unless you can prove you were warned erroneously. If you get a warning, just stay on good behavior afterward and eventually it simply count back down to zero.

So technically, the method of lowering a warning is patience and good behavior. Easy as that. I don't think we should need to clarify that. =P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:51:18 PM by Nick Sintari, Reason: Satire is fun »

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »
Hello Vosur :)
I do know this (after reading tickets and talking with a mod about it), but I can't find it mentioned anywhere specifically. For such a thing that many members wonder and still (and will) wonder about, if it's such a common question, why can't I find said answer any place? (Rules, FAQ, or any other place?) If I would be a new member (or an old member) with the knowledge I got a warning level, but without any knowledge on how to get rid of it, then the only option available is to either scour the forums to find if someone else already posted the question some place (as a topic or a ticket), or ask it again some place by starting a new topic (or ticket). I've seen this happen several times over the few years I've been on the forums here, and that is simply what I wanted to point out.

Ah, ok. See, I don't (didn't) know if that is a general rule over the whole internet or not. I've heard about being 13 years of age before to do internet things, but the age minimum with a variety of things confuses me all around. Some websites, online games, and other forums require a different age minimum (for example: 14 years of age instead of 13, etc.).  :)
We do not state how much a percentage drops because that can be abused rather easily. As Nick stated, if a warning happens and the person warned can calmly and civilly validate how the warning should not have taken place to another moderator/admin, then the warning can be removed, otherwise it's just good behavior and time that will reduce the percentage.

As for the rule, it's Federal mandate because of how terms of service can be implemented. A minor under the age of 13 cannot agree to terms of service for websites and minors under the age of 18 cannot agree to terms of service without parental consent. Other sites go the extra length with the bare-minimum age.

Offline Tim Siguire

• The Undecided
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards Top 50 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Hmmmmm, personal you say?
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lange'tu ; Alienoid Jackal + Long-Tailed Weasel
  • Coloring: Golden Brown Body, White Chest to Inner Waist
  • Height: 6' 3"
  • Weight: 182 Lbs
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 06:29:02 AM »
ST86, it could very well be your forum settings. There is an option where you can choose to see your signature, avatsr, and everyone else's.

Also, great job reworking the rules. I have no objections or questions at the moment.
  • Avatar by: Random Selection, Random People
F D F   A n t h r o p o m o r p h i c   A r m y   F o r e v e r !

All about StarFox, Metroid, and Turok!
Starfox: Lylatian Aparoid Specialist!

''When millionaires get bored, they save the world.''

Spoiler for Hidden:
Sytex
Even if it may feel like I'm all alone sometimes, I have to remember I still have one person around who cares: myself.
I'm not about to give up on myself, as I have never lost hope for anyone, so why give up on the person who never has?

I write stuff! >>> https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=25424.msg1975197#msg1975197

KiK: Tim_Siguire

Feel free to add or send a message.

Offline Alessia Starfurr

• Vixen of the Stars
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY...Rubber sword?
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf (Hybrid Fox Wolf)
  • Coloring: Dark Blue, Light Blue
  • Weight: WHA!?!?
  • Build: Slim,fit.
  • Currently: Still raiding open fridges and freezers.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 03:26:21 PM »
If our signature is in a spoiler  to make it smaller is the 300px limit still applied to that?

Also will we get a verbal warning if our signature is over 300px because I'll be honest it is hard to see how big your signature is total or does the 300px apply to individual images?

Sorry trying to fill holes here  the less holes the less problems we should have.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:32:23 PM by Alex »
Uhh..Lord I didn't train to be a pilot. Tell me I don't have any more flying to do today.........................  Amen. ~ 'Dutch' Halo3 ODST.

We all go through peroids of darkness. In such times we can turn to the Lord, but it's good to have friends ~  Joshua Graham , Fallout New Vegas, Honest Hearts.

When people are lost they turn to the man who  acts like he knows the way out,  when the truth is he knows less than them. ~ John McMillan Original War

"Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself" -Unknown.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" ~William Shatter, Airplane II 

Credits: Alesssia pictures by JackThorn/Tomas13

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »
Putting extra images in spoilers is generally fine.

Yes a mod will PM you asking for you to reduce your signature so you have time to fix it.