The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A Demon's Review - Zootropolis [WARNING-SPOILERS WITHIN]  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Kromas Ndorai

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online
  • "マッキントッシュプラス"
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Thought Errant
  • Currently: Bringing the A E S T H E T I C
A Demon's Review - Zootropolis [WARNING-SPOILERS WITHIN]
« on: April 16, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »
So, before we get started, I need to mention a few things.
- I am British, so I need to use the term Zootropolis instead of Zootopia. Stupid localization.
-This is a Disney film. Keep this in mind.
-My view may appear as quite cynical/critical. This is my opinion. You don't have to agree with me. Hell, you don't even need to care.
-I am not a film critic of any sort.

Now that has been said, lets get on with the review. As stated before, SPOILERS AHEAD.

Plot

All across Zootropolis, predators have been going.... Savage. Turning into crazed beasts, and then going missing. The ZPDs latest member, a rabbit called Judy Hopps, takes the task to find these missing mammals with the help of consman Nick Wilde, and to solve the mystery that could rip apart the city...

So, what do I think of it? Mediocre. Not gonna lie, its a good idea and is actually sheds light on many of today's problems, but the execution is (in my opinion) kinda mediocre. Firstly, coincidence seems to be a huge crutch for the plot. It just so happens that the Weasel stealing from the flower store is the EXACT same Weasel that is carrying the main ingredient for the Night Howler drug. Yes, this is still a Disney movie. It is also quite lucky that the small animal that Judy saves from a giant dough-nut (Or is it really giant? :o ) is the daughter of a mafia-like syndicate. What are the chances of that, eh? Although, to be fair, the movie does do a good job of making sure the plot is not going to get stale. I mean, a rabbit inciting what is basically a racial divide is something that not a lot of people would expect. Neither would they expect a breaking-bad inspired scene. But more on that later. The twist around mid-way is quite surprising, but predictable if you have been paying attention to a large degree.

Overall, the plot is just as average as any other Disney movie, or more broadly, most animated movies. 6/10.

Characters

Literally every character here is anthropomorphic. No wonder the furry community picked up on this as soon as it surfaced. Although, this film is NOT specifically for the fandom. Disney makes children's movies, and if it happens to cater to another demographic, well, that's cool. Anyway, on with the characters.

Judy Hopps-

A rabbit who, from a young age, dreamed of becoming the first ever rabbit police officer. After a WHOLE lot of work and determination (And a sweet montage), she eventually hits it big and ends up in precinct 1- the main hub of Zootropolis. She soon stumbles upon a large underground plan to ruin the predator's image and cause the prey to rule over all.

Judy is joyous, determined and just doesn't know when to stop. She follows through on everything she thinks, and won't let anyone get in her way, even if she does need a little help. Well voiced and well though out- especially in her wittier moments.

Nick Wilde-

A fox who has an outlook on the world damaged by events in his childhood, Nick finds himself a conman who ends up turning into another officer like Judy. He seems to be quite different from most Disney characters, as he seems to have views that conflict with the happy atmosphere Disney is normally known for. Even despite his past, he still finds a way to change and deceive what he once believed.

Nick is sly, witty and quite often Stoic. He begins looking out for himself but seems to find compassion and friendship in Judy. He is, like Judy, well voiced and also has some very neat quips throughout the film.

Others-

Zootropolis is filled to the brim with bright and colourful characters- from Sloths at the DMV to Sheep who cook drugs in a style suspiciously close to Breaking Bad. All different species have their own quirks and personalities, and this reflects greatly in how they are animated. Say, while a lion may stand tall and proud, a elephant may be quite slow and peaceful. Pigs are perky (Eh? Perky Pig anyone?) and Sloths are PAINFULLY slow. Is creates a diverse cast that, at the end of the day, really do make the film quite interesting to watch. 8/10.

Animation

This film really does shine for animation quality. You can feel the attention to detail on your eyeballs. For example, when a character is moving, the fur is seen to move and sway with the momentum (Even if it isn't too noticeable). Also, the art style is very nice- it gives a tooney feel while still feeling somewhat real. The sync of the characters and their speech is pretty much perfect, and the setting is detailed to the point of having to watch the film a fair few times in order to notice a lot of the quirks. However, this also takes away form the scene, as there is often so much going on that your attention is drawn away from what is going on. Then again, it could simulate the feeling of being in a crowd of really, really tall people with no visible way forward.

Overall, 9/10. SPOT ON.

Other notes.

The film is well thought through, but also has a dark side. The stories of drugging and attacks seem quite dark at times, and there are a fair few adult jokes. But then again, what Disney film doesn't have them. References are good and well implemented, especially the use of other Disney titles. It creates a compelling sense of a bigger picture, and makes the film a solid watch. 7/10.

In conclusion

A solid film. If you got the time, its worth a watch.

7/10.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:17:35 PM by Exile »
The UK economy is composed of
several multi-billion dollar industries;
                  poetry isn't one of them
  - aesthetic bailout by Johnny Noiπ

Do you dare defy the Prince's rule?

Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG

Offline Setcho

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online
  • Who wants to be normal?
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: Who wants to know >~>
  • Height: 5'10
  • Build: Small
  • Currently: I was on the forums before it was cool
Re: A Demon's Review - Zootropolis [WARNING-SPOILERS WITHIN]
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 04:28:06 PM »
Thats pretty accurate, id give it a 9/10 because the lions were spot on :P