The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Useless letters in English.  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Ræfóa Aldrnari

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Most Online
  • Earlier known as Ulvus Lumia
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Brown fox
  • Coloring: Brown, dark brown, grey, beige
  • Height: 1m 73cm (5'8")
  • Weight: 53 kg. (117 lb.)
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *Browsing memes*
Re: Useless letters in English.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »
Okay, okay, my mistake. I'll just retract, then.

Please check out my DeviantArt page!
I would greatly appreciate it.

Reference sheet by myself!

Offline Ginger Ale

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: american badger/ground pangolin hybrid
  • Coloring: green
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: haven't measured in a while...
  • Build: A bit of muscle, but not a lot. Scales abound.
  • Currently: trying to make sense of everything
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »
ɪf ju ˈrɪli ˈwɑntəd tu spɛl θɪŋz haʊ ðeɪ wɜrˈsaʊndəd, ju wʊd juz ði ˌɪntərˈnæʃənəl fəˈnɛtɪk ˈælfəˌbɛt.

[/size]If you want practicality in a language, I would suggest an auxiliary language. Don't look for logic in English, its the garbage dump of languages.
"and maybe we weren't put on this earth to rape and pillage and ravage
because god created puppy dogs and god created kittens
and our love creates a power plant
that generates this world
and if we stop now
then we'll just disappear into oblivion"

-andrew jackson jihad

Offline Salakar Crocoli

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Wolf
  • Coloring: Pale Gold-ish, with some grey patches
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 150
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »
It's not even the garbage dump. It's the recycling plant for other languages. It seems like every time a language falls out of use, we integrate it with our own. This results in a Frankenstein's Monster that can barely function.
I'm done with this thing. I don't know what to put here.

Offline CZAtion

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/demon/fox hybrid
  • Coloring: Crimson red/grey
  • Height: 5’ 11”
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Improving at Osu!
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »
I disagree with this. On the surface, some letters are closer to others indeed, notably C and X, as you say but they still serve more purpose than one might think.

Without C we wouldn't have, for example, CH. Sure there is SH but those sounds are still different. Not in a massive way but consider the differences between S and Z. CK is also a thing as opposed to KK (which is used in certain more phonetic languages where the K sound actually is affected more).

As for X? If I were to say "Akses", am I saying Axes or Access? How about Xylophone?

Q? In order to even try to replave that with KO or KU we'd need to change the pronunciation rules are "Kuit" (Quit) would be pronounced "Coo-y-t" if spelled like so, almost sounding like a mispronounced "Cute" (which by the way, 'kute' would be 'coot' and not 'Q-te')

Not to mention that we are all so accustomed (akkustomed???) to the current rules of grammar, spelling and how the words 'look' as well as how other indo-european languages are built that it helps keep the letter count per word shorter as well as make these words a lot more readable and less 'weird' looking.

English isn't very much a phonetic language and relies on many rules such as grammar as well as word origins to a degree to explain how a word is to be spelled. It's not about ease of pronunciation as much as it is about encompassing a large number or words and maximizing readability.

I've even seen arguments saying that English could use even more letters. Many Germanic languages already do this with letters such as Å, Ä, Æ, Ö, Ø, Ð, ß, to name a few, Many of these correspond to sounds that are very foreign to English and even hard to pronounce for many English speakers out of the simple reason that they've never heard it before. In Swedish we use Å, Ä and Ö in addition to some other sounds like SJ which aren't at all really used in English. The letter R also is very different between languages; So much that if you would have all the different pronunciations in the same language you would probably need at least 3 different letters for just different R's.

Ok, first off, ku sounds nothing like kw, so I don't know where you're getting that from. Qu = kw.

Queen = kween
Cute = kyute
Axes = aksez (akzeez is how it would be written in British English)
Access = akksess

And for ch, /tsh/ is identical in pronounciation to ch.

There are few acceptions where tsh would not be used for ch

Chemical = khemikal
School = skhool

Anyway, I'm rushing to  type this while a video is playing in class so, I'll explain everything in greater detail later.
twitch.tv/MTF_AsrielDreemurr

Offline Salakar Crocoli

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Wolf
  • Coloring: Pale Gold-ish, with some grey patches
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 150
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 04:33:10 AM »
Crayon, you lied to us.
I'm done with this thing. I don't know what to put here.