The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advertising My Story  (Read 1752 times)

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
Advertising My Story
« on: March 03, 2016, 07:37:51 PM »
I was thinking of advertising my story by showing pictures of my characters and asking people if they'd have any problem reading a story with those characters. ...But, I'm kind of nervous. I like the characters, but I'm worried about what other people will say. The worst I'm expecting people to say stuff like "Why can't the book be about humans?" My god, I will lose it if I read that. The point of my book is that it DOESN'T star humans. If people want to read a book about humans, they can read anything else. I wanted to make a story that I'd have fun making. I feel like I have a decent story that can do well without humans. ...But I'm also looking for suggestions for maturing the story, and I'm worried what will happen if I make the rule "I will NOT turn my characters into humans/humanoids." ... Should I try showing the characters around to advertise my story?

Offline Winnona

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Utahraptor.
  • Coloring: Brown with burgundy feathers. Pink and blue eyes.
  • Height: About 6 feet.
  • Build: Sturdy and curvy.
  • Currently: Loitering about.
Re: Advertising My Story
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:57 PM »
As someone who reads, I can tell you that you don't have to worry about MOST people dissing your story because of it's focused species. If most people don't want to read a story about something they just don't, they move onto the next thing. There are plenty of popular series that star animals, such as Warriors or Guardians of Ga'Hoole. So why not show them around? You've certainly piqued my interest. :3
  • Avatar by: Myself. (That white thing's supposed to be a fur coat.)
"Ibis redibis nunquam per bella peribis." In other words, proper punctuation is important.

Click, please, if you have a moment?

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »
Nothing ventured nothing gained, as they say. We are a nice enough bunch, I would hope...
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
Well, here's my first example. And who better than the main protagonist?

On the left is the normal style I've been working with. On the right is my attempt at a more mature style. Which do you like more?

Offline Winnona

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Utahraptor.
  • Coloring: Brown with burgundy feathers. Pink and blue eyes.
  • Height: About 6 feet.
  • Build: Sturdy and curvy.
  • Currently: Loitering about.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:06:53 PM »
Well, I think they're both rather good, but the real deciding factor should be which one fits the tone of your story more. Telling us what it's about would likely help to decide the tone.
  • Avatar by: Myself. (That white thing's supposed to be a fur coat.)
"Ibis redibis nunquam per bella peribis." In other words, proper punctuation is important.

Click, please, if you have a moment?

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »
It's about Benny trying to survive in a harsh world much like ours, except with magic and very few humans. But all the while, Benny has to avoid a serial killer with unknown intentions that are explained late in the second comic. His best allies are his long time friend who wields a huge club-axe, and the serial killer's wife, who also happens to be a foot-fetishest. ...Though it's not mentioned very often in the story. The plot is... actually kind of hard to explain without giving too much away, but it's actually kind of dark. However, I might tone the darkness down a bit if I decide to the graphic novel. Like characters get killed in a bloodbath, but they may still die, just not in as gruesome of a fashion.