The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Life on your Own  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Aelyn Frostwolf

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: White/Black
  • Height: 4.5 ft
  • Weight: 30Kg
  • Build: Extremely Thin
  • Currently: Very Happy :)
Life on your Own
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:53:09 PM »
I was discussing this scenario with a friend, and I wondered what other peoples reaction would be if suddenly everyone but you dissappeared off of the face of the earth. And whether you think you would be able to cope with the stress of it as well as the task of general survival in this scenario. So would you?

Just a side note; If you can, it would good if you explain your answers as i'm really interested as to what people have to say. :)

Personally, I think I would be able to cope in this situation. Although I would miss my family & friends deeply, I think I would have the mental strength to carry on. Moreover I think I am reasonably knowledgeable enough about survival to get by on that side of things.
  • Avatar by: Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't wanna live no more
Sometimes I hear death knocking at my front door
I'm living everyday like a hustle
Another drug to juggle, another day another struggle
-Notorious B.I.G

Offline Silentium Potens

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Currently: Poking around.
Re: Life on your Own
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 02:35:07 AM »
I don't think that I could withstand the stress.  Not only would I be alone, but my life would basically be meaningless; there's no one else to have any sort of impact on.  I mean, no matter what I would do, it wouldn't matter.

But let's say I decide to rough it out.  Without anyone else, stuff like electricity and the internet would cease.  Commodities like gas would progressively become harder to find.  Food will also become progressively harder to find (i.e. stuff expiring, consumption, et cetera), but at least I could grow that.  Without overview to keep things like nuclear power plants safe, many areas become hazardous.  Essentially, the urban world would become useless at best, because I can't really grow food or hunt or do just about anything in the concrete jungle, and lethal at worst, because of the stated food and safety hazard problems.

With all of that said, what I would do is get a whole lot of practical books and then go to some sort of rural area.  With the books, I could teach myself a lot of practical knowledge, including farming, hunting, mechanics (if I decide to bring machinery and use it), home repair and construction, medicine, et cetera et cetera.  The books could also provide a source of entertainment as well.  I would go to a rural area because there will be less concrete and other man made stuff in the area, meaning that I potentially have better control over the land.  Also, food is a lot easier to get, and there would be less hazards to worry about.

Offline HyenaKing

• rock out with your cute out
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
  • shut up, you're a dream
    • Awards
  • Species: what u think
  • Coloring: whiteish
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Build: sheesh
  • Currently: writing.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 06:52:17 PM »
That would be the time where I would dedicate my time to make as many clones as possible.

And then take the dna of the dead and clone them.

Repopulate!
wired as right now

Offline Oathsworn18

• Avid Aardvark
  • I'm not weird! I'm just different! (and weird)
    • Awards
  • Species: Husky
  • Coloring: Black and white fur
  • Height: 1.85 metres
  • Weight: 70 kg
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: Glad to be back!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »
In a scenario like this, we're all the people seemingly disapeared, there would be no real way to be certain EVERYONE left. So I would spend the rest of my life just surviving, traveling the world and using radio to try and get into contact with anyone still out there. I would see cities which would have been taken back by nature in less than a few decades, animals repopulating the places left by men and realise that maybe the 'extinction' of men wasn't the worst thing that happened to this world. At least now nature can thrive once more...

Not that I would survive for such a period of time. The many dangers (nuclear power plants,  starvation, lack of clean water, wild animals, etc) would have killed me long before that XD.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 10:13:18 PM »
It really depends on whether I had booze around at the time it happened or not. If I didn't, I'd end up killing myself as soon as it set in that the most important people in my life were gone forever. If I did, I'd keep myself drunk until I could find more. Repeat.

No, I am not an alcoholic. I just would be if I lost a certain someone.

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:47 AM »
I'd manage, for sure. As much as I enjoy the company of others, I also value my privacy/personal time. Not to mention I wouldn't mind the challenge, and it'd give me a few opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise!

Offline Aelyn Frostwolf

• Chatty Cheetah
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: White/Black
  • Height: 4.5 ft
  • Weight: 30Kg
  • Build: Extremely Thin
  • Currently: Very Happy :)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:46:42 AM »
I don't think that I could withstand the stress.  Not only would I be alone, but my life would basically be meaningless; there's no one else to have any sort of impact on.  I mean, no matter what I would do, it wouldn't matter.

But let's say I decide to rough it out.  Without anyone else, stuff like electricity and the internet would cease.  Commodities like gas would progressively become harder to find.  Food will also become progressively harder to find (i.e. stuff expiring, consumption, et cetera), but at least I could grow that.  Without overview to keep things like nuclear power plants safe, many areas become hazardous.  Essentially, the urban world would become useless at best, because I can't really grow food or hunt or do just about anything in the concrete jungle, and lethal at worst, because of the stated food and safety hazard problems.

With all of that said, what I would do is get a whole lot of practical books and then go to some sort of rural area.  With the books, I could teach myself a lot of practical knowledge, including farming, hunting, mechanics (if I decide to bring machinery and use it), home repair and construction, medicine, et cetera et cetera.  The books could also provide a source of entertainment as well.  I would go to a rural area because there will be less concrete and other man made stuff in the area, meaning that I potentially have better control over the land.  Also, food is a lot easier to get, and there would be less hazards to worry about.

Very good points! But really good idea with the books, never thought of that  ^_^

In a scenario like this, we're all the people seemingly disapeared, there would be no real way to be certain EVERYONE left. So I would spend the rest of my life just surviving, traveling the world and using radio to try and get into contact with anyone still out there. I would see cities which would have been taken back by nature in less than a few decades, animals repopulating the places left by men and realise that maybe the 'extinction' of men wasn't the worst thing that happened to this world. At least now nature can thrive once more...

Not that I would survive for such a period of time. The many dangers (nuclear power plants,  starvation, lack of clean water, wild animals, etc) would have killed me long before that XD .
     What you said with the radio reminds me of 'I am Legend' haha  XD
  • Avatar by: Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't wanna live no more
Sometimes I hear death knocking at my front door
I'm living everyday like a hustle
Another drug to juggle, another day another struggle
-Notorious B.I.G