The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I've been having some sleep issues  (Read 622 times)

Offline ★Amethyst★

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Maine Coon
  • Coloring: White with light purple hair/patches
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 120
  • Build: Average/slim
  • Currently: itching to do stuff
I've been having some sleep issues
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »
Since it's summer I've been slowly transitioning to being nocturnal, i. e. going to bed late and waking up late. Now though with school looming near I need to prepare to get up earlier and such. But...I just can't.

I've been trying to go to sleep around 10-11 pm but I usually end up laying in bed for a couple hours and still am not even close to falling asleep. I often end up getting back up and doing stuff/using the computer until the early hours of the morning or even stay up all night. I've tried listening to music, reading, or just counting as high as I can in my head but it's not quite working  :S

You guys have any other tips on how to fall asleep easier or fixing one's sleep schedule? I'm contemplating if exercise might help with getting tired...

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: I've been having some sleep issues
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:43:59 AM »
I'm sure you'll hear to "Stay awake all night so you can reset your body clock"
however it doesn't really work like that... (though it can, you probably shouldn't)

You need to eat a proper meal before sleeping
you know the whole eating turkey makes you sleepy? That's because of Tryptophan, a compound in food that makes you sleepy. It's found in many foods and particularly in Dairy.
Warm up some milk in the microwave and drink that before going to sleep and you should conk out.

Something that also helps you sleep is Melatonin.
Melatonin is a hormone that is released at sunset as the sky goes red before it darkens and is responsible for making you tired.
It's effect is strengthened by red light and canceled by blue light which releases a hormone associated with waking up.
Computers and phones typically emit a blue light, so it's advised to either set red themes on your devices, or stay away from them altogether before sleep.

In summary: After dinner, try and stay away from computers and phones after it's dark. Drink some warm milk before going to sleep and aim to sleep around 8-9pm. I can also recommend dotting some lavender oil on your pillow as it also helps with drowsiness.

good luck :D

I had to do a project on this recently so I know my stuff
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:54:52 AM »
im a stay up all night to reset body clock person

also everything that's digital emits light on the blue spectrum so i use gunnar optiks
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »
There are two methods I use to fix sleeping patterns and it all depends on time.

There's a simple formula, lets say you normally wake up at time A, and you need to wake up at time B, and you have D days until you need to wake up. If D >= B - A, then you use method 2, otherwise method 1.

Method 1: Stay up all night

It's not a nice method. For one thing, it usually won't fix your sleeping pattern "freely'. What usually happens is you stay up all night and you wake up for the correct time for THREE DAYS then, you go back to your old habit. School can be a good external force to force you to sleep in earlier but for the first week or so you'll be really tired

Method 2: Gradually

Gradually doing it is much better than going straight to 11pm. Lets say you went to bed at 4am, and want to go to bed at 11, go to bed at 4am one night, wake up at... say 12. Then go to bed at 3am the next night and wake up at 11, then 2 am and 10, etc etc etc. Being gradual makes you feel a lot better, it takes longer though and if you don't have enough time to complete your round method A is your only real solution.
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »
My sleep has been borked lately for various reasons so take this how you will.

If you want to avoid taking anything before sleep then try lying down in bed after dimming or darkening the lights in your room, except for perhaps a light on a nightstand or something close by. Curl up with a good book and read for half an hour. The darkness and the lying down may signal to your body that it is time to sleep and you may drift off quite easily. Needless to say, a phone or tablet will not work for this due to the light.

Failing that, you can try melatonin, which I believe has already been recommended. Failing THAT, you can try Benadryl, which always konks me right out. Both of those may leave you groggy in the morning, so be forewarned.

If you are sleeping in late, that might not be helping.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline ★Amethyst★

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Maine Coon
  • Coloring: White with light purple hair/patches
  • Weight: 120
  • Build: Average/slim
  • Currently: itching to do stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:56 PM »
I'm sure you'll hear to "Stay awake all night so you can reset your body clock"
however it doesn't really work like that... (though it can, you probably shouldn't)

Oh, I know that doesn't work for me. It often ends up with my body trying to make up for lost time by oversleeping, which isn't good either.

I tend to use my phone to read before I go to bed so I figure that's not helping me much. I also think that the temperature may be a factor too, since it's a little warm here. But I can just go without any blankets. All the tips seem really helpful, and it won't hurt to try the milk idea and going to sleep earlier/less phone surfing. I don't have any lavender oil but I do have some lavender scented moisturizer laying around :p

I'll keep trying and maybe give an update if I can  XP

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 06:29:16 PM »
good luck :)

Offline Toxicdog

• Avid Aardvark
  • Imagining the equalizer goin' from green to red...
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Height: 5'10''
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: ΔxΔp≥ℏ/2
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Do you eat breakfast?

If you do, there's a cool technique you can try. Fast for 14-16 hours until the time you want to have breakfast. I've used this to readjust myself when I work graveyard one week, then afternoons the next. (Works well for jatlag too.)

Offline Wolxikin

• Gregarious Gnu
  • (⚆ ͜ʖ ⚆)
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolx
  • Coloring: Blue/white
  • Height: 5 foot something
  • Weight: Don't be so judgemental!
  • Build: Average, anthro
  • Currently: well then
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »
I know it's been mentioned a bunch, but I too recommend melatonin, I've had sleeping problems before and it's helped a lot.
Is it a wolf? Is it a fox? No, it's Wolx!

Tell a man there are 300,000,000 stars in the universe, he'll believe you. Tell a man the benches paint is wet, he'd have to touch it to be sure

[img width