The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Meds & Bad Dreams  (Read 305 times)

Offline Maine

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Cheers, big ears!
    • Awards
  • Species: Hare
  • Coloring: Navy blue.
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 64kg
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: NOTHING. <w<
Meds & Bad Dreams
« on: December 05, 2014, 03:13:50 AM »
I'd like some advice if people are willing to offer.

Bit off a background on the subject, for about six moths at the start of the year, i went through a stage of physically draining depression caused by anxiety. I was chronically ill with fatigue, unable to concentrate or stay awake longer than six hours. many scans and blood tests later, I've started a round of mild medication to keep the anxiety under wraps.

It has worked fairly well, I still need a little extra sleep, and it's hard to concentrate sometimes, but it's calmed down a lot anxious tendencies i didn't even know I had. But i'm able to complete tasks and live life normally.

It has had a complicated side effect though; I have the most vivid and awful bad dreams. It's like all the anxiety from the day gets bottled up and released as I sleep.
I've had horrific dreams every night since I've started the medication. I won't go into detail, because most are extremely graphic, but they include: Acts of terror or horrific scenes, witnessing of extreme violence, and extreme emotional outbursts.

They can be really scarring and draining and I feel like my sleep is far more disturbed than it should be.

But I don't know whether to tell my doctor, because other than that, i'm functioning normally in waking day, and I can't afford for that to change. I was reluctant enough to go onto medication as it is.

Any thoughts on what I should do? 
  • Avatar by: The lovely (and talented) Nobi! <3

Offline Hycanith

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Shhhh....
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat-Fox!
  • Coloring: Like that! ^
  • Height: Tall.
  • Weight: 130 lbs.
  • Build: Slim.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: That spring clean.
Re: Meds & Bad Dreams
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:21:29 AM »
I have no background on that kind of subject, but you should probably see your doctor and ask if strange dreams are a common side effect of the drug. If they are really bad, then you could always ask to try a different medication.

Offline kalan

• The immortal half blood
  • Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
  • Species: Welf
  • Coloring: Blue and silver with a small light blue crescent scar under his left eyes from a magic attack
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 189 lbs
  • Build: Tall and muscular with the strength and speed of an elf
  • Currently: Slowly coming back
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:01:19 AM »
I dont have experince with medicine induce dreams but i do know about bad dreams. About a year and a half ago i started having dreams that would wake me up in cold sweats, i went to a VA doctor and he put me on sleep aids thats helped unbelievably well. However i dont recommend starting any sleep aids, even otc ones, with out talking to a doctor first as there is no way of knowing how they will react with other meds
^Is my bust fren

Spoiler for Hidden:
That made me feel so good. Oh my gosh. Thank you man and same to you  [hugs tight]

I'm the same without Makias and Kalan!
both are loved and fun to be around

"Atleast your stomach will stop your tears from hitting the ground" ~Tim (138)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 04:58:56 AM »
There is nothing you shouldn't tell your doctor, you should tell him/her about your dreams and hopefully she can prescribe a different medication or adjust the dosage.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »
Temazepam is well know for this, so if that's the medicine you may need an alternative.  It is also bad if you have it then must stay awake unexpectedly.

Diazepam does cause vivid/bad dreams sometimes (but more rarely) too but they taper off thankfully.

It really depends on what it is and any other meds too.  Feel free to PM me dude.