The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Album Reviews !!!Underground Artists That Deserve more Popularity!!!  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Soma O)))

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Otter
  • Coloring: Grey Coat, Pink Chest tuft, Purple/Pink Hair
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Weight: 125 Lbs.
  • Build: Muscular but not musclebound, slim, average anthro proportions.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Jammin' to Sunn O)))
Here I will be starting a thread for public use so that we can post reviews on Albums and Artists who most of us may not have heard of, or maybe we have, but never got to know them. That's right folks, here we are gonna shed some light on music from all backgrounds so that we may both help others find music they enjoy (new or old), and to spread awareness for maybe a certain genre or artist. Alright you lot, Lets get posting!
(I would love to expand my music library mates!)  XD

• Signature art by: N/A
(((O [Ash On The Trees] O)))

Offline FeralWings

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Close your eyes and see the skies are falling.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Dark blue scales
  • Height: 2,36 M.
  • Weight: 110 Kg.
  • Build: Moderately tough
  • Currently: Getting my ass in gear to do...something.
Re: Album Reviews !!!Underground Artists That Deserve more Popularity!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
AdhesiveWombat

AdhesiveWombat - Bombs

He's unheard of, which is just saddening as it is truely undeserved. Amazing quality of electro and 8-bit music, just shows some real skills and quality in his music, and I'd love to see him get some more views :D
  • Signature art by: Me :D
You can be anything you want to be.
But can you be everything you want to be?

Click this shiet for my Deviantart!

Offline Soma O)))

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
For our first review, I will be covering a personal favorite of mine from both a genre and artist who most of us may not know (hipster me eh mates?)

Genre: Dark Ambient / "Isolationism"
Artist/Band Name: Lull (One Artist: Mick Harris of napalm death, Scorn, and Painkiller)
Facts About the Artist/Band: Lull is a Dark Ambient side project of Napalm Death's Mick Harris in which he had created the genre known as "Isolationism". The side project had premiered in 1992 with the release of Lull's first album "Dreamt about dreaming". with this album being created, Isolationism was born.

Album: Cold Summer
Cover Art:

Track Listing:
1) Slow Fall Inward     23:55
2) Lonely Shelter        15:56
3) Long Way Home     23:38
4) Lost Sanctum         15:57

Review:

(Mick Harris) Lull's "Cold Summer" (released in 1994)

At first glance, Cold Summer may seem boring and uneventful to the average listener of today's modern era. But if you are willing to "leave yourself behind" and simply listen, and then feel more than you listen, you may begin to feel the Soundscapes created by Mick Harris in this album, Cold Summer, wash you away and wear away at your soul.

The album, Cold Summer, is probably the best album ever released by Mick Harris under the recording name/handle "Lull". Among other Lull albums, Cold Summer continues to be the single most minimalistic and downright chilling album ever released by Lull.

The tracks consist mainly of a very deep Sub-Bass that in one track may come off as nearly deafening while in the next it is barely audible, coupled with small bits of isolated noise that you only seem to notice after they have either stopped, or while waiting in anticipation for it to repeat, Cold Summer creates a new form of isolationism that has still never been fully outclassed. The sheer amount of minimalism that was cleverly planned out by Mick Harris in Cold Summer makes it a very uncertain and mysterious"Fall Inward" as the listeners may find themselves discovering very "animalistic" and instinctual sides of themselves that introduce them to a brand new kind of fear. This fear consists greatly of feelings of helplessness, isolation, and confronting the unknown. In short, it is best to imagine that you are falling down and seeing the world fall away with you as you begin to wonder just how you began to fall to begin with. soon after the fear and realization that you fell kicks in, and the rush begins.

Each and every isolated sound beyond the Sub-Bass is like a sliver of light in the all consuming darkness that slips away, or even like the sensation of small cuts of steel on flesh. The sounds range from soothing to the mind, to mind crushingly terrifying on a level that to new listeners is guaranteed un-felt before. But to experienced dark ambient listeners, the horror is all too familiar, and because of this, all the more horrifying and potent. Thus making Cold Summer a fantastically terrifying trip through the mind that can be both enjoyed, and feared, by listeners of all kinds, over and over again.

The Beginning track (and my favorite track) "Slow Fall Inward" starts the listener off on their journey through wicked and broken soundscapes with a slow and gradual fall inwards toward madness and fear, covered by the sensation of sanity peeling away like paint from a wall. It may also be stated that this "wall" is much like the metaphorical wall that was displayed in Pink Floyd's "The Wall". The wall itself represents the purest isolation and fear. But this time, instead of "tearing down the wall", you will find yourself building 4 walls, no door, putting a roof on it, and sitting in the corner for the remainder of the album. During this time you may find yourself thinking deeply upon what exactly it is you are hearing and feeling. When the album is over and all is complete, you may afterwards begin to feel that life seems so much safer and clearer. After listening to this album for the first time, that is exactly how I felt.

Out of 5, I would rate "Cold Summer" a full 5 stars. The album hits the listener in sensitive places that never seem to be explored or delved upon without guidance. This album, Cold Summer, as well as many other Lull albums, is just the right kind of guide into those places in your mind.

Click here for a link to "Slow Fall Inward"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:02:03 PM by Soma O))) »

Offline Estella-Surahn

• Avid Aardvark
  • Little Creepy Girl in a Little Creepy World <3
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • BubbleGothPrincess
    • Awards
  • Species: Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: Pure white, normal black/brown pattern, ice blue eyes
  • Height: She is 5'1
  • Weight: She is 95 lbs
  • Build: Slim, but not skeleton like. Healthy
  • Currently: BubbleGoth-arific!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:20:48 AM »
Please you guys. Listen to her <3 she's amazing and I love her to bits. She is what keeps me alive. I cannot survive without her. I am a MoonChild  for life. Her name is Kerli. Here's a link to one of her BEST songs/video haha(: Kerli - Walking On Air
Feel it, breathe it, believe it, and you'll be walking on air. Go try, go fly, so high, and you'll be walking on air. You feel this, unless you kill this, go on and you're forgiven. I know that I could feel that, I feel like... I am walking on air <3

Offline Soma O)))

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:27:18 AM »

Today I will be covering an album by a band that I like to call "The Rift Masters of Drone". This band certainly deserves more popularity, but unfortunately the style of music is considered on the "underground" spectrum.

Genre: Drone / Stoner Metal / Doom Metal
Artist/Band Name: Sunn O)))
Facts About the Artist/Band: Sunn O))) is named after the Sunn amplifier brand. The band itself was formed as a commemoration band of sorts for the inventors of Drone Metal, a band called "Earth" whom is often credited with being the inspiration that created Sunn O))). The band has two core members: Stephen O'Malley (also of Khanate and Burning Witch) and Greg Anderson (of Goatsnake and Engine Kid). On December 17, 2009, the song "Hunting & Gathering (Cydonia)" from the CD Monoliths & Dimensions was named the Heaviest Song of All-Time by Jason Ellis on The Jason Ellis Show on Sirius/XM. Greg Anderson then appeared on The Jason Ellis Show on January 12, 2010.

Album: Monoliths & Dimensions
Cover Art:

Track Listing:

1.   "Aghartha"                                                                                   17:34
2.   "Big Church [Megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért]"     9:43
3.   "Hunting & Gathering (Cydonia)"                                                   10:02
4.   "Alice"                                                                                           16:21 (best song on the album)
                                                                                         Total length: 53:00

Review:

When people think heavy metal, it has come to my attention that they think of two common things. 1: Barbaric, loud, and music that would be considered both non-complex and un-artistic. 2: A singular sound that all bands have (All bands sound the same). This is SO not true, and in Sunn O)))'s case, it is the opposite. Another thing i need to touch up on first, is that people assume "Heavy" metal requires fast, melodic, and deafening music with no real theme. Sunn O))), however, Is also the exact opposite, and yet, still a HELL of alot heavier than any band I have ever heard that is still enjoyable to listen to.

Now, the review. Sunn O)))'s "Monoliths & Dimensions" is often considered to be Sunn O)))'s heaviest album, and all in all, i have to agree. Although I personally feel that their album "Iron Soul of Nothing (Featuring: 'Nurse With Wound')" is their best, Monoliths & Dimensions deserves ALOT of praise. The album takes drone to a whole new level of heavy, gritty, harshness that Sunn O))) is known for delivering.

Monoliths & Dimensions is an album for those listeners out there who are looking for both Heavy music, and slow, progressive art. Sunn O)))'s style in Monoliths & Dimensions can be explained as "an Artistic way of drilling into the brain, planting a bomb, and exploding your mind". As you listen to this album, keep this in mind: Try to listen to the songs for their "Texture" not their melody.

The Album starts off with a heavy, AND I MEAN HEAVY, song that jumps right into the grittiness of the track and fades out over the entirety of the song. It is like jumping into a bed of nails and managing to drown. The feeling and sensation is fantastic. The second track is a very nice example of artistic brain drilling. The track consists of a choir, heavy guitar coupled with lots of amplifier humming, slow, gritty vocal techniques, and a constant buzz. In short, it sounds like the choir of doom, and that is fantastic. As I said before, the third track was actually named the Heaviest Song of All-Time by Jason Ellis on The Jason Ellis Show on Sirius/XM. "Hunting & Gathering (Cydonia)", the third track, is indeed a VERY heavy track and has a very rad feel to it. If you like heaviness that you can feel vibrate off your skin that still sounds like ambience you could sleep too (albeit the night terrors), this song will have you hooked. Every minute is different from the last while staying true to the slow, steady, and subtle style of drone metal. The final song, "Alice", is dedicated to the jazz artist, Alice Coltrane. This song is very unique in many ways, but most of all, it is a unique style for Sunn O))). This track starts off with a very slow but crisp and alive feeling. As it progresses, the song will pick up static and fade into a melodic and heavenly symphonic tune. This song goes from, Thick, crisp, fresh, Sub-bass and guitar with static, to French horns, harps, strings, and the hole 9 yards of fairy tale sounding symphonies. I can not stress enough just how awesome this song is.

Overall, the general Motive or feel of this album is to get listeners to feel what they wanna feel, think about what you feel, and reflect upon it. This is a typical feel with Sunn O))), but this album tends to really stress the "Drilling into the brain" as well. While listening, it is advised to listen to every sound and not follow a singular sound or note. By doing this, I find it easiest to feel this reflexive mood that the album is supposed to impose upon the listeners. All of the tracks are very Solid and and challenging for the brain to fully register and label as "pleasant music". But with the right attitude, this music can become the most pleasant to the ears in the known musical world. And to me, Sunn O))) is the best band out there for this genre. This album in specific is the very album that got me into Sunn O))) in the first place. The first track by Sunn O))) I ever heard was "Big Church [Megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért]" (however you pronounce that).

Overall, I give this album a 4 of 5. The album was made over a 2 year period and i have to appreciate the time, effort and care that was placed ever so perfectly into the production of this album. A must have for any drone fans.

Sun O))) - Hunting & Gathering (Cydonia)