Author Topic: Post and Talk about your Collars! And why you wear one  (Read 186827 times)

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
Post and Talk about your Collars! And why you wear one
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
So how were your first moments, slapping that new collar of your on? What did you feel? How did you feel? What did you say? What did your friends/parents/other people say? What did you with it on?

Yeah, questions like that

Here's mine: I felt basically what I expected from a nylon collar, a almost non-noticable feeling on my neck. I basically felt it there and nothing really special occured. Yet again, it was my first time wearing a collar  :P then i slept with it on  -.- . It's still in the confines of my room and house (when no one is around) and I'm still working on getting out there  :o . Gonna plan to bring it to school or something...

Since it was nylon, it had a buckle on it, which was probably the most noticible part i felt. When it get's hot and sweaty, it's more noticable. It was soft and comfortable. I remember it feeling good in the morning after wearing it to sleep  X3 I mean, your sense of touch is more sensitive in the morning because ur body is like waking up n stuff. I mean I wake up at 6a.m then sleep because I'm suppose to wake up at 8 a.m., so the first thing I do when I do wake up (now) is check if my collar is on my neck (for some reason now). then I continue to sleep. But still, it feels different in the morning.

It also has a metal D-Ring on the front which is beside the buckle and it makes this nice noise when it hit's the plastic buckle. FOr some reason, I like the sound of it.

I got a black version of this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Majestic-Pet-14-20-Adjustable-Collar-in-Multiple-Colors-Fits-Most-40-120-lbs-Dogs/15220666 btw

And here's a guide to buying a collar:

How to Buy a Collar without looking like a Derp

You can pretty much get collars anywhere. It depends on what you want, if you want an inexpensive snap-on nylon collar, you can get those for like $3 at Wal-Mart, there is where no one will bother you. In Wal-Mart, there's a very limited options, all you get is usually nylon snap-on collars and maybe one leather one with studded jems that is too large for your neck (but perfect if you have a fursuit/head).

In general, I would recommend getting a leather collar with buckles, you can get whatever colour you want with whatever on it, studs, spikes, D-Rings, etc. Or a nylon collar with buckles, if you don't want to kill the leather collar with your sweat in the summer. You can go to pet stuff sites all over the interwebs and fine something you like, or make a custom one from CollarFactory or other people.

Now after you have a general idea of what you want, you should probably measure your neck, let's say your neck size is 16 inches, in general you would want to buy a collar that will fit a 16-inch neck, but collar makers of all kinds mix up the sizes all the time. 16-inches on the label can mean that the tightest this collar can be is 16-inches or the middle hole is 16-inches or the least tight is 16-inches, so just remember to check before you actually buy it, and check the refund/return policy, all it really takes is you to try it on for a few seconds to see if it fits.

The best case senario is that the tightest or the second tightest hole is where it's comfy, where it's the perfect fit and will last you forever, your neck probably won't grow or get larger any time soon and you can always adjust the collar. My most recent collar purchase is a black, leather collar with two D-Rings (one on the center and one near the buckle), it's 16-inches and it fit's fine on the tightest hole but I wear it on the second tightest because it feels better, and I can move it around my neck easier. This collar will probably last me forever.

Now how to actually buy it, just go to any pet shop store, the large ones won't bother you unless you are in front of the collar section for like half an hour, or at the counter when you pay. The smaller shops probably have nothing else to do so they will ask you if they can help you, just say you know what you are looking for and they will pretty much leave you alone. Now you have reached the collar section, and you see a ton of collars ranging from many colours, sizes and so on. Just take your time and remember your criteria: Neck size, leather or nylon, bucked or whatever, thickness, wideness, features, etc. Feel free to pick up the collar and feel the material and ALWAYS inspect the entire collar, if something is broken, missing, etc., get the newer one, etc.

For thickness, it really doesn't matter, a thick one (one that is ticker than a few coins) doesn't really change anything, it's just stiffer (at first). For the wideness, most leather ones are smaller than an inch, my latest collar isn't even an inch, it's like 1.8cm. A wider one would just cover your neck more and keep more of the heat (like a scarf).

Now for features, since it's a dog collar, it will have at least one D-Ring, this is used to put on tags, and of course, leashes  >:3 , if the collar has two it's fine, it's most likely one on the center of the collar and one near the buckle. My latest collar has two, no problem really. These collars won't have any more than 2 but will have at least one (unless it's a fashion one). You can go get yourself a leash if you want, I have one. :P Any other feature is up to you such as bells, studded stuff, spikes, lights, jewels, etc., get whatever you want. You can get tags and other stuff too.

Pretty much after you've chosen your collar (you can get two if you want), just go and pay for it. If the cashier asks you about your dog, just say it's a husky or something, just don't stand there mumbling what your own dogs breed is. Also, don't say a small dog like a weiner dog, it would look like you are buying a collar that's huge. After than, bam, you have your collar, now go home or to a washroom or something and actually try it on to see if it's well fitting. If yes, congrats! You now have a collar! If not, lol whoops, go exchange for a smaller/larger one.

In terms of tightness, it just depends on how you like it, I like it tight-ish on my neck, others like it to look you can just take it off my lifting it off your neck through your head. Just don't make it too tight, if you can put two fingers through the collar (between your neck and the collar) easily without any problems, it's probably fine.

And there you have it, a guide on buying a collar without looking like a total derp made in like minutes!

I hope this helps you!

Any questions? Feel free to ask them!

Le List of Collars I have to date:

• Black Nylon snap-on collar from Wal-Mart [16 inches, 1 D-Ring]
  • Blue Nylon snap-on collar from Wal-Mart (yes, another one) [16 inches, 1 D-Ring]
  • Blue Leather Collar [16.5-19.5 inches, 1 D-Ring on the center of the collar]
  • Black Spikey Leather Collar [14-16 inches, 1 D-Ring near the buckle and a lotta spikes and studs!]
  • Black Leather Collar with White Stitching [14-16 inches, 2 D-Rings, one on the center of the collar and one near the buckle, white stitching looks pretty awesome!]
I feel like getting a new collar every season because it seems like I've done that so far.

And I've been sleeping wearing a collar for like a year now, yeah!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:07:16 PM by ArticSkyWolf »

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Your first moment with your collar?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »
Meh... it wasn't that "magical" of an experience or anything, nor was I expecting it to be. I just like wearing a collar. Most people didn't say anything about it, a few people asked if it was a real animal's collar. The first collar I wore had belonged to my favorite cat who died a while ago, so sometimes I'd mention that it reminded me of him. My mom thought it was weird and asked me why I couldn't just wear a regular necklace or something, but for the most part she didn't hassle me too much about it. After I got a second collar that was considerably larger and more noticeable, my mom started asking me if I was turning Gothic (which she thinks is evil, but that's another topic for a different time).

But that's about it. I've worn a collar to school, out shopping, with friends, family, etc. Some people are just curious about it, and the overall response to it has been neutral. I just wear it because I like it; I don't exactly go around shouting "YOU SEE THIS COLLAR? I WEAR IT BECAUSE I'MMA FURRY" or anything. :P

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Gelidus

• Kuddly Kitten
  • I'll freeze your soul
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Falcon
  • Coloring: blue, tan, brown, and white
  • Height: 6'1''
  • Weight: 190 lb
  • Build: Althetically slender
  • Currently: PONIES!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
I got a black version of this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Majestic-Pet-14-20-Adjustable-Collar-in-Multiple-Colors-Fits-Most-40-120-lbs-Dogs/15220666 btw
My collar is almost exactly the same. When I first put it on I was just thinkin, "huh, this is cool..." and I've worn it about every other night since then. I just felt comfortable for me, like it was normal for it to be on. I've only worn it out in public only once, and it really didn't seem proper, since its such a lame collar. When I get one that reflects me a lot better and looks better I'll probly wear it more.

My roommate in college didn't really say anything about it. I asked him what he thought, he said, "huh? oh its whatever I guess. I don't really think its a big deal"

My ex's first response was to treat it as a sex toy, which I hated. She would pull me by it when I was wearing it and it made me want to bite her hand off...
Love is only a feeling.
A feeling of security, a feeling of happiness, a feeling of lust, a feeling of belonging.
A feeling we need.
We may think we can live life without it, but a life without it would be boring, meaningless, and depressing.
Love controls us. Without love, we are nothing. With it, nothing else in the world matters
Love is only a feeling.
A feeling that makes life worth living or dying

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »
My collar is almost exactly the same. When I first put it on I was just thinkin, "huh, this is cool..." and I've worn it about every other night since then. I just felt comfortable for me, like it was normal for it to be on. I've only worn it out in public only once, and it really didn't seem proper, since its such a lame collar. When I get one that reflects me a lot better and looks better I'll probly wear it more.

My roommate in college didn't really say anything about it. I asked him what he thought, he said, "huh? oh its whatever I guess. I don't really think its a big deal"

My ex's first response was to treat it as a sex toy, which I hated. She would pull me by it when I was wearing it and it made me want to bite her hand off...
lawl i agree, nylon ones are comfortable but too, boring. Leather ones are the epic ones. I wouldn't wear it to school anytime soon because no one really knows that I'ma furry and i know that my friends are gonna drag me accross the field at lunch when i go outside   :S

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »
I've only put on my collar twice really, mostly to try it on to see what it felt like. It was strange, but comfortable. I also wore it to my junior college for a little while to "test the waters" and didn't really get much of a reception good or bad. It went generally unnoticed and I don't like to press my luck, so I don't wear it publicly :P
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:09 AM »
I loved my collar, and my heart was fluttering rapidly when I first put mine on. My parents think it's unsightly, and disgraceful. My friends think it rocks hard. For me, it was like an engagement ring, as I got mine when I gave Vee her's.

here's what i have ---->

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:39:36 AM »
i have 3 of them my parents dont know of ( they might not let me " have one planing on showing them it after a con) ....  i love wearing them. i felt good when i put mine and my friends like it , one of the collars i have is like shinz"s but the spikes are along the back and sides not in the front. i also have a tag for 2 of them.
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 100 Poster
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/snow leopard
  • Coloring: light blue, white and black
  • Height: 7 foot 5 inches
  • Weight: thin
  • Build: medium light
  • Currently: eh
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 02:22:56 AM »
I loved my collar, and my heart was fluttering rapidly when I first put mine on. My parents think it's unsightly, and disgraceful. My friends think it rocks hard. For me, it was like an engagement ring, as I got mine when I gave Vee her's.

here's what i have ---->

oh lord you got one of those crappy hot topic ones..>>
expect THAT to not last long..mine broke REAL quick..

me, i have a custom made collar (it was $65...ouch) and ironicaly it fit..but it was to wide and chaffes me....v.v

im gonna invest in a normal collar from petco

<-------this ish me :3  

Shadow hide you..

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 02:25:49 AM »
iam going to get my new collar tomorrow i guess might get a black one
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 02:58:14 AM »
I got a custom one from the collar factory for about 45$. I remember it being odd that it felt nice and didnt get in the way like I thought it would.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 04:11:06 AM »
I was living in a dorm at the time. First wore it when I got it in the mail, with friends, classmates and even a teacher in the same room (though with no attention at me). Teacher was all "you know, I think it's good that some people dare to be different, you know, and I think it's gusty of you, you know?" which, on its own, gave it more attention, laughs and people poking fun of it (in the bad way) than ever before.

All but my friends hate it, but that's because they know me as strange already. It didn't feel very different either.

From the Collar Factory, made of the softest lamb skin. I can sleep with this without any discomfort.

In addition, I have a bell given to me by a friend that he bought on e-bay. He's a real anime freak so he really understood the appeal of having a bell on a collar.
The tag, is of pure silver, made by another friend of mine. It was her very belated birthday gift for me.

And in case you were wondering - yes, the bell rings when I walk.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:17:22 AM by The Great Puncia »

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 07:00:59 AM »
First time I wore a collar it felt bit different, but I got used to it after a day or so :P
Nowdays I can't go without it XD
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 07:04:48 AM »
Collars can get pretty uncomfortable when it's hot though, depending on what your it's made of. Mine are both nylon, and I can't stand wearing them when it's hot. Leather ones might be better, I wouldn't know.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:09:47 AM »
Collars can get pretty uncomfortable when it's hot though, depending on what your it's made of. Mine are both nylon, and I can't stand wearing them when it's hot. Leather ones might be better, I wouldn't know.

I would imagine leather gets sticky and stuff from sweat in the heat.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:42:32 AM by Kyriin »

Offline Kaprika

• tottaly boss artist
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 100 Poster
  • ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
    • DeviantArt
    • Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/snow leopard
  • Coloring: light blue, white and black
  • Height: 7 foot 5 inches
  • Weight: thin
  • Build: medium light
  • Currently: eh
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 08:07:24 AM »
i never have any problems with collars as far as sweating goes. really its just the fitting thats important

<-------this ish me :3  

Shadow hide you..