The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Upgrading Windows Vista ---> Windows 7 ?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • 100% chocolate-wafer feline!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Wildcat
  • Coloring: Dappled brown-grey and white
  • Height: 5' 7" ish
  • Build: Chunkeh
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Nom!
Upgrading Windows Vista ---> Windows 7 ?
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:16:02 PM »
So yeah, as the title says, should i bother upgrading windows vista to windows 7 on my laptop?

Vista came with the laptop when i bought it, and it hasnt been too buggy to be fair... well... not too buggy... Anyway, I have a Windows 7 disk, and it says that I can do an upgrade from vista with it (The disk was my cousins, he doesnt need it now... so i get it for free  :P )... So yeah, i know literally nothing about computers, is it worth it?

Is there anyone who has done an upgrade like this? Did you have any problems when trying to do it either?

Thanks for any help in advance  :)
  • Avatar by: Avatar art drawn by me
100% chocolate-wafer feline!

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: Upgrading Windows Vista ---> Windows 7 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:42:57 PM »
There's several factors that always come into play when departing Vista for Seven, #1 being is that its not guaranteed that there are drivers made to work with your hardware on windows 7, #2 is the disc 32 or 64 bit and is your copy of Vista 32 or 64 bit, then #3 make sure you have about 20GB free on your hard drive because the install is going to require a fair amount of space and all your old files will be moved to a "windows.old" kind of folder. The disc will very easily work, but hopefully there are not too many complications with the hardware.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
  • 100% chocolate-wafer feline!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Wildcat
  • Coloring: Dappled brown-grey and white
  • Height: 5' 7" ish
  • Build: Chunkeh
  • Currently: Nom!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Okay, i just checked the copy of the disc i got... Its an upgrade disc only, so can only be used for upgrading vista... It will work with both 32 or 64 bit... And i can easily make that amount of space on my hardrive (ive already backed up all my files anyway)...

So, another question really... Will i need to reinstall all my programs after upgrading, and will it wipe all my files during the upgrade (though the last one doesnt matter so much, as i have it al backed up on external hardrives and pendrives...)
  • Avatar by: Avatar art drawn by me
100% chocolate-wafer feline!

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
Oh that's good! But yes you will have to reinstall all your programs, however all your old files will still be there backed up in a folder on the root of your hard drive which is probably C:/  called "Windows.old"
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Online Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »
I'd do a custom install rather than upgrade also, you will need to reinstall stuff as white mentioned, make sure so your cousin gives you the serial and that he hasn't used it already, otherwise, some features might feel abit different than with vista, but you'll get used to the new stuff in no time. Myself i would easly upgrade it, unless you have a really old (several years old) printer or something, there should be drivers released by now. Btw, i'd say install the 64 bit unless you got low ram, like, if you got more than 2-3GB of RAM, install the 64 bit.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:35:57 PM by Timmy the Foxy »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!