The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Please read before making a request  (Read 12909 times)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Please read before making a request
« on: February 02, 2011, 04:17:49 AM »
As an artist myself, I'd like to give out just a few general pointers that I believe make things easier when someone is asking for an art request. These are more like guidelines than rules, but you're much more likely to get something drawn if an artist doesn't have to drag information out of you or make it up themselves and risk you being unhappy with the result. So here goes!

1. Be descriptive.

Link to picture references if you can. Make sure you can see the full body of your fursona/character in the image clearly. Saying "look at my avatar" is often useless because the images are so small - link to larger versions whenever possible! Also, if you're looking for specific things in environments, posing, emotions, accessories, or whatever, give references for that too.

If you do not have image references and have to use a text description, be as detailed as you possibly can! This is the form I usually use to describe a character, you can use it if you like:

Species:
Anthro or Feral (quadruped):
Body Type/Build:
Fur/scales/body Color:
Any Markings:
Hair Style & Color:
Eye Color:
Clothing:
Accessories:
Personality:
Anything else you think I should know:

2. Be respectful.

Especially when asking for something for free, be polite and respectful to the artist(s). Ask nicely, and be sure to thank them if you receive something. The artist appreciates it.

3. Be patient.

Art takes time! You can check up on them to ask about the progress of a work, but sometimes you may have to wait a while before a drawing can be done for you.

4. Be aware of the terminology.

A "request" is an artwork done for free.
A "trade" is when you do an artwork for someone, and they do one for you.
A "commission" is when you pay someone to draw something for you.

They are not interchangeable terms! Saying you want a "commission" when you have no intentions of paying for an artwork can lead to some nasty misunderstandings.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:49:55 AM by WingedZephyr »

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.