The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Therian and Otherkin Explanation  (Read 78353 times)

Offline Kozy

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox :3
  • Coloring: Milk chocolate w/ darker tips, spring green eyes, lighter creamish bib and belly
  • Build: Chibi / slim quadrupedal
  • Currently: Shy / Lonely
Re: Therian and Otherkin Explanation
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
That's interesting ^^
And yes I find the emotions in crowds noisy. I am okay with dealing with one to two at once but I feel like my emotions tune into others' so when there's too many around me I feel confused and if there's an argument I feel like I just want to curl up into a little ball, moreso than with most others I know  I've noticed. It's really important to me for a crowd to be peaceful, and I can stand relaxed crowds better than spontaneous ones. I like to distance myself from certain others as I tend to feel their emotions more when around them, to avoid myself being affected by their feelings. I am particularly weak to emotional vampires and tend to see through their manipulation, as if others have an emotional problem it tends to become mine and if I can't resolve it with personal advice I just like to back away. I also can't stand busy chatrooms etc as I feel I have to make an effort to speak up and I'm always worried about offending someone for my lack of knowing others. If someone is sad I may be distracted and want to comfort them instead of doing my things, but I am trying to teach myself not to react even though I feel so much for them.

Offline Babydoll Animis

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Im covered in colors pulled apart at the seams
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
 @.@
so much info but i think i got it.
im therian, otherkin, and furry

Btw have you guys found your names?
my wolf self seems to be named Oshirius
my dragon self, i think Siber
 also i can always feel energized and much more lively when around crowds and groups
i can always feel the emotions of others and tend to feel like an overabundance of energy when people fight... dunno why... maybe because of their intensity?so imma psi maybe?

also dreams of the future and premonitions have alwys occured in my life... i only realised recently that its not normal to actually have them... whoops

speaking of ghost limbs i seem to be able to feel wings and if i want i can feel them flap, but my canines seemed to have sharpened over time as i have discovered my therian self... oh gosh this all sounds so crazy and i wouldnt blame anyone if they didnt believe me
Nothing worth having comes easy

Xbox live!
BL SoulwolfX

KIK: animatty

Offline drakewithout

• that first forum cartoonist
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • finally settled on deer i think
    • weirdragons
    • Awards
  • Species: deer
  • Coloring: tan, white
  • Height: 145 cm
  • Weight: 45 kilos
  • Build: light, curvy, acts smaller than she is
  • Currently: feeling lonely
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »
TO save space i won't list my logic for this, (you can find it in my journal, It's a good read, short.)  but I believe that my shadow-caster in a  layer above my is an animal, and I feel a link to animals thusly, and I consider my self Otherkin along the same lines.
Im the flufflysub.

weridragons https://weirdragons.wordpress.com/

Offline drakewithout

• that first forum cartoonist
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • finally settled on deer i think
    • weirdragons
    • Awards
  • Species: deer
  • Coloring: tan, white
  • Height: 145 cm
  • Weight: 45 kilos
  • Build: light, curvy, acts smaller than she is
  • Currently: feeling lonely
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2015, 03:40:09 PM »
i think i just killed the thred
Im the flufflysub.

weridragons https://weirdragons.wordpress.com/

Offline Twilight Rose

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf/Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: Black and silver/Black and red
  • Height: ~5'9"
  • Weight: ~150lbs
  • Build: Lean, fairly muscular
  • Currently: I don't even know
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2015, 05:30:20 PM »
It's been a quiet thread for a long time, really. People haven't exactly flocked to it.
"I am a servant of the world. And if I am a servant, then you should consider yourself a tool, at best."
~DiZ, Kingdom Hearts II

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »

@Drakewithout:
I agree with Twilight Rose.
It's a pretty quiet/slow thread. It's not a very active thread. Now and again you could see someone post something here, but normally there isn't a discussion happening here or things, it's mostly people dropping off what they think and feel about themselves, or if they have any questions, and that's it ^^;
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline ShirokuTheHusky

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Help me define myself ;-;
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2015, 12:17:26 AM »

@Drakewithout:
I agree with Twilight Rose.
It's a pretty quiet/slow thread. It's not a very active thread. Now and again you could see someone post something here, but normally there isn't a discussion happening here or things, it's mostly people dropping off what they think and feel about themselves, or if they have any questions, and that's it ^^;

In that case, I must ask. I really like huskies, like how someone on the internet looking at mishka does. But slightly more than that. I have some behaviour similar to huskies, but I don't feel like I necessarily AM one. A lot of what I feel is a DESIRE to become more like a husky. And I guess, a vague wish to be viewed as one, and be one. And it actually is more leaning towards an anthropomorphized husky. So what would that be? Would that still be furry? Or is this something new?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:49:47 AM by ShirokuTheHusky »
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter! @ShirokuTheHusky
Fur Affinity: ShirokuTheHusky
Contact me: [email protected] ShirokuTheHusky on Skype

Offline TheOneWithNoName

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2015, 07:46:54 PM »
In my personal experiance in both the therian and otherkin communities, Therians tend to develop this weird m-shifting and p-shifting thing in which they think they can either mentally or physically transform into their theirientype.  Whilst I can somewhat understand the mental transformation, the whole possibility of physically transforming is ludicrous.

Otherkin, are more accepting that they are in human bodies, and that that is how it will be for the remainder of their life.

I myself, am Otherkin, but in those lives that I have lived, I have been both historically existing creatures, as well as mythical creatures.  I am accepting that I am now human though, and so not a therian.

Again, I want to reiterate, that this is from personal experience, and opinion. Nothing I say should be taken as definitive, other than that both Otherkin and Therian have VERY similar definitions.

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2016, 06:02:06 AM »
I have a stronger sense of belonging with dogs then I do with people. I also have a special connection with dogs. I can read most dogs like a book, even if I never met them before. I can instantly calm most dogs, and get them to stop barking, jumping, etc easily. And the whole time, I feel something, a connection for lack of a better term. I forget a person's name within minutes, but I can remember the names of dogs I saw only once for years, even over a decade. If someone is doing something mean or, even worse, abusive to a dog, my blood starts to boil. I feel ready for a fight, ready to rip into them, and a little...not human.

My fursona and favorite breed is the German Shepherd. I share many traits with them; extreme loyalty, defensiveness around strangers, can easily learn, stubborn, extreme drive.

I some times wish I was a dog, imagine I am one, and even have the occasional dream where I am a dog. I sometimes compare myself to dogs or wolves, and on occasion I feel like I have part of a wolf inside me.

What does it sound like I am?

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2016, 06:33:24 PM »
To me it sounds like you might very well be a therian. However, I can't decide that for you. It's up to you to figure that out. Many therians do so by meditation or keeping a journal so they can connect the dots. You can also try seeing yourself as therian for a while and see whether it clicks for you or not.

Thanks Michen. I've been looking around a bit and watched a couple YouTube videos. I am a wolf therian. Thanks again!

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2017, 07:24:20 AM »
Ventus, no wonder. Sure, this thread is quite. Why? Because of so much misinformation here.

1) Physical shifting is ridiculous as hell. Mentally unhealthy beings still think they'd be able to do so. That's not true. Mental shifting or phantom shifting, aura shifting and all that is possible but physical shifting isn't.

2) A connection to an animal doesn't mean anything than you love this animal. Maybe because of it's nature? Who knows. But therianthropy/otherkinity isn't about connection, it's a lot more than that.

3) Meditation is so unreliable in this case. It's great to go back to your roots, calm down, find your inner peace and to ground yourself. But finding the theriotype with meditation? No. Especially unexperienced ones who think they'd be masters because they watched some short videos on Youtube or because a good friend told them about that. Sorry, but that's hilarious.

4) You can sense the emotions and there are many small things already noisy for you? Maybe therianthropy related but only when you are completely in tune with your inner self. Otherwise, you're just a pretty awesome empath. That's amazing as well.

Remember: Being a therian/otherkin isn't fun. It's about hiding in society, wearing a mask, living a life which isn't meant for you. It's horrible. It's not a roleplay game or connection, it's about what we are. The internet likes to change things for every individual so that this one individual can be happy for a few hours. Great. Wonderful. Media are manipulated, other ones let manipulate themselves and go on with manipulating without realizing. Stop it now! Please...

@.@
so much info but i think i got it.
im therian, otherkin, and furry

Btw have you guys found your names?
my wolf self seems to be named Oshirius
my dragon self, i think Siber
 also i can always feel energized and much more lively when around crowds and groups
i can always feel the emotions of others and tend to feel like an overabundance of energy when people fight... dunno why... maybe because of their intensity?so imma psi maybe?

Therian is otherkin, my dear. Oherkinity is the main term and therianthropy is a subcategory. How so? Simple. Otherkinity describes the identification as a non-human creature in a non-physical way - either spiritual or psychological. While therianthropy describes the state of identifying as an earthen non-human creature in a non-physical way - either spiritual or psychological. Got it? Great! If not, ask.

As for the name: No, I didn't because wild animals don't have names like that. Some species use specific sounds like clicking or a specific whelping tone but that's it. Names like that aren't for wild animals. For tamed one - sure.

You're an empath, nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:33:53 AM by Mirembe »

Offline Thagrahn

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger and Lynx
  • Coloring: White and Black; Grey, Tan, and White
  • Height: 5' 4"; 5' 0"
  • Weight: 135 lb; 107 lb
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »
Remember: Being a therian/otherkin isn't fun. It's about hiding in society, wearing a mask, living a life which isn't meant for you. It's horrible. It's not a roleplay game or connection, it's about what we are. The internet likes to change things for every individual so that this one individual can be happy for a few hours. Great. Wonderful. Media are manipulated, other ones let manipulate themselves and go on with manipulating without realizing. Stop it now! Please...

I'm going to have to disagree on the roleplay part, since in public, otherkin have to roleplay as a normal human. We seek to embrace that which makes us otherkin, but at the same time, we have to do our best at hiding most of it from the general public.

Phantom shifts can happen in public, but we usually suppress them until we are more alone. We also generally suppress the animistic urges while in public, too.
Basically, we play the part of a 'normal human' event though a strong part of us identifies as something else.

Alone or with a few trusted friends we can fully be ourselves, but to the general public we present a mask to blend in.
Phantom diaspora (or Phantom Shifting) is a known effect usually displayed in amputees, but also common to the trans and otherkin communities.
I am Thagarhn, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Dean

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Left the forums
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »
You misunderstood me here. With "isn't a roleplay" I meant that we don't would like to play a little bit "wolf family" or anything. It's about who and partly what we are. ;)

Also, I know phantom shifts, tehehe. I am a contherian myself, that means that I don't shift but am rather constantly shifted. :)

Offline AllySaurus

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Portfolio
    • Awards
  • Species: Albertoraptor
  • Coloring: Red, yellow, and blue
  • Height: 5 feet
  • Weight: 140 something lbs.
  • Build: Meaty
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2019, 06:17:20 PM »
If we can identify as another species that we feel we are, then mind if I ask why there are forum threads stating that we're human, no matter what we feel? For example; these: https://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=10288.0
I hope it's not rude of me to ask. While yes, I am human biologically, I'm more canine inside and in terms of behavior. Plus, honestly I don't see myself as a true human and probably never will. It's not because I hate them or anything, it's the misanthropy and association I have a problem with. You see, misanthropes tend to think that all humans are bad or scary and blame all individual humans on Earth as "naturally evil" and they point to me, standing on four legs in the corner, sniffing grass, trying to look as inhuman as possible. I know it's weird to some, but I just don't like living the human life.

Also, sorry if I'm necrobumping. You can delete this if you want.
DA is deactivated due to being bullied, don't bother visiting my profile.
Formerly "FrederickShepherd"