The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Am I getting too old for this?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Moonraiser

• The Nightwalker
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster
    • youtube
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf
  • Coloring: Black fur
  • Height: 6 Feet
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: lean
Am I getting too old for this?
« on: January 15, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
 Sorry if the title seems a bit dramatic, but I wanted to ask the opinions of other furs about something. Without going into too much depth, im a bit of an experienced fur (I'm 27 and first became a fur at around 17), and there is some observations I have noticed lately the last year or two. I don't want to stir up any drama (believe me I have seen enough fur drama), but it seems as if I dont connect with the online furry community like I used to. I dont know if it is just me, but social interaction just isnt like it used to be in the old days. This could also just be me being nostalgic, but the  interaction i have online from furries does not feel as energetic as it used to be, and in some cases i strangely make some furries angry somehow? (i just got banned from a furry discord recently and i havnt the faintest clue how X.X ). I am not trying to pick on any particular site, i am just noting observations across multiple furry platforms. How do you furs feel when trying to communicate with older furries?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:45:21 AM by moonraiser »

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
Re: Am I getting too old for this?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:04:24 PM »
Furry is a young man’s game.

In addition to social anxiety, my age is a major reason I’ve never gone to a furry con or meetup. I’m 38 and I don’t want to be That Creepy Old Guy hanging out with teens and 20 somethings. Or even if it doesn’t come across as weird, I’m not sure I’d have much in common with youngers furs.

Online interaction is better, although I’m not as active and engaged as the young’ns.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pig/Bat/Devil
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 99 lbs
  • Build: Short and trim
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: refreshingly busy
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »
Now... I was about to write my own little essay on furry socialization, but instead, I'd like to ask a few questions. Nothing you wrote looks dramatic to me, and I hope I don't come across as too direct, but I would like to see if I can't guide you to your own answer.

What is it you're looking for in your interactions? What is it that the furry fandom offers that other places don't? You said that there doesn't seem to be as much energy nowadays as there used to be; could you give me some examples of what has changed? Do you have a specific demographic outside of the furry fandom that you find yourself interacting with more than others?

Don't feel obligated to answer all of these; I'm just trying to consider possible reasons for the change.
  • Signature art by: Me again
What did the toilet say to the bath tub?

"I'm hungry for an apple."

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »
I've said this in a similar thread a while ago, there are three stages of the furry fandom.

1. Honeymoon: You're ecstatic to be a furry and furry becomes your life, you work super hard to get into it, go head first and just really enjoy yourself.
2. The fall: Drama, interpersonal problems, peoples faults that you used to overlook, things go down hill and you get in a bit of a tense time.
3. Balance: You've now done and seen it all, you're now in the sidelines, not the center of attention but not in any of the true drama either, just kinda cruising along./

It's a normal part of being a furry, some furs are over 40 years old so you're not too old for it.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »
As anoni said above

Also if you want old uncle kages mother goes to most if not all furry cons he does including anthrocon

If you dont know who uncle kage is watch the following something he is well knowen for doing and is posted on anthrocons youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVRsG7qRtVY AC 2018 Uncle Kage's Story Hour plus Alkali and Kage Together
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Moonraiser

• The Nightwalker
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster
    • youtube
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf
  • Coloring: Black fur
  • Height: 6 Feet
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: lean
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 06:12:57 AM »
My bad I probably should of checked this thread sooner, theres a lot of posts to address I see  x.x. Hold on I'll just send direct messages to make this easier.