The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How do you read?  (Read 3636 times)

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pig/Bat/Devil
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 99 lbs
  • Build: Short and trim
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: refreshingly busy
How do you read?
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:09:04 AM »
I'm posting this here because it's not about a specific book, but rather, how to approach reading.

If you're like most people, I figure you read books straight through. That doesn't work for me. My concentration is so tentative that I'll get through one paragraph and then my mind will enter orbit for the next three. So I've switched to three separate approaches:

1. Switch stories when my mind wanders.

2. Read several books at once, using chapters or segments as the switching points.

3. Reread the same book/chapter/story twice over the same couple of months.

What are you guys' approach to reading? Do you play any mindgames to help yourselves concentrate?
  • Signature art by: Me again
What did the toilet say to the bath tub?

"I'm hungry for an apple."

Offline Nova Starpaws

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I'm not a dog.... :c
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • The Help Desk
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Jakon (Jackal Dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: Nebula Scales, white eyes, dark blue hair.
  • Height: 7' 8"
  • Weight: 125lbs
  • Build: Sleek
Re: How do you read?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 03:16:06 AM »
I read EXTREMELY quickly. I hate class readings. "Oh you're done with the first chapter? I'm done with the book." XD I'm only a sophmore in high school and I have a higher than college reading level.

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »
I don't READ stories in books. I VISUALISE them. Turn the words on paper into a movie, playing inside my head. Voice and everything. If I don't, I tend to lose interest as well. Not a very detailed one, but enough to imagine how the story flows.

Offline Romulan_Furry

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Battle Alert! Go shields up and weapons hot!
    • Discord
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger
  • Coloring: Inverted fur pattern (black with white stripes)
  • Height: 6'7"
  • Weight: 250 lbs
  • Build: Muscular, but not overly so
  • Currently: Trying to find the drive to continue my original work.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 12:10:51 AM »
^^

Basically how I read. It's all played in my head like a movie.
"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural..." --Darth Sidious

"Being a soldier isn't just following orders - it's following those orders while in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we aren't soldiers anymore; just pieces on a chess board, dying for the wrong reasons." --Unknown

A Klingon wears their emotion on his or her sleeve - when they're happy, you'll hear it; sad, you'll see it; angry, you'll fear it.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 05:47:59 AM »
I struggle to read fiction personally, it takes a lot of time (I'm not a super speedy reader) so I do have trouble keeping attention and keeping comfortable :P (Finding the best reading position when you have bad eye sight is hard). Was thinking of going to audiobooks though.

Textbooks and stuff I just read on the PC and usually follow along with pen and paper
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Alessia Starfurr

• Vixen of the Stars
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY...Rubber sword?
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf (Hybrid Fox Wolf)
  • Coloring: Dark Blue, Light Blue
  • Weight: WHA!?!?
  • Build: Slim,fit.
  • Currently: Still raiding open fridges and freezers.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 08:28:47 PM »
My reading level is excellent one of the few things not effected by my brain tumor and susequent lack of education. I read  book all the way through and if it gets too boring or too late i put in a book mark so i know exactly where i was then pickup later, sadly though recently i haven't had any good books to read I also prefer paper books to digital so, yeah ,but i will read digital if I Have to.

I do hate reading textbooks for school and such ,thankfully i'm beyond that point so... yeah, i still manage  to read some stories people have typed up like on Deviant and stuff so it's not like i have a limited amount it's more of what i'm interested in.

^^

Basically how I read. It's all played in my head like a movie.
so i pretty much do the same as these above. I like to insert myself as a observer to a visual story, this also sadly leads to me feeling like I lack detail in my own typings.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:31:36 PM by Alessia Starfurr »
Uhh..Lord I didn't train to be a pilot. Tell me I don't have any more flying to do today.........................  Amen. ~ 'Dutch' Halo3 ODST.

We all go through peroids of darkness. In such times we can turn to the Lord, but it's good to have friends ~  Joshua Graham , Fallout New Vegas, Honest Hearts.

When people are lost they turn to the man who  acts like he knows the way out,  when the truth is he knows less than them. ~ John McMillan Original War

"Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself" -Unknown.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" ~William Shatter, Airplane II 

Credits: Alesssia pictures by JackThorn/Tomas13

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 06:15:44 AM »

I read EXTREMELY quickly. I hate class readings. "Oh you're done with the first chapter? I'm done with the book." XD I'm only a sophmore in high school and I have a higher than college reading level.

I don't READ stories in books. I VISUALISE them. Turn the words on paper into a movie, playing inside my head. Voice and everything. If I don't, I tend to lose interest as well. Not a very detailed one, but enough to imagine how the story flows.

I lay my head in the book and absorb the information directly. It's like LIVING the story.

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pig/Bat/Devil
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 99 lbs
  • Build: Short and trim
  • Currently: refreshingly busy
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 03:27:53 PM »
Ha ha ha! And at the same time, ew.

Anyway, I've changed my approach to reading backwards. I first read the last paragraph of a chapter or story. I read the preceding one, then on to the next. So the order goes like this:

Last paragraph. Next to last, last. Preceding, next to last, last. Preceding, next, next, last.

And on down the line. Having a very nomadic mind, I doubt I'll ever fix my attention to the degree I want to, so to absorb as much as possible, I read the same thing multiple times.
  • Signature art by: Me again
What did the toilet say to the bath tub?

"I'm hungry for an apple."